MN Millennial farmer

Nova

5 year old buck +
Has anyone see this guys videos on you tube? I fond him about a week ago and although some of his videos are kind of goofy, but funny too, he has some great info on farming and it's cool to see the whole process of ag farming in MN.

Yep watched most of them. Good guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do a little farming myself. I watch sometimes. He comes from a lot of old money so that makes farming really easy. I like most of their equipment. Strongly disagree with some of the stuff he says, and I really hate that seed brand he plants. Overall though he is a very good ambassador for the farming community. Appreciate what he does.

I do a little farming myself. I watch sometimes. He comes from a lot of old money so that makes farming really easy. I like most of their equipment. Strongly disagree with some of the stuff he says, and I really hate that seed brand he plants. Overall though he is a very good ambassador for the farming community. Appreciate what he does.

What stuff do you strongly disagree with?

Broadcasting P and K fertilizer, high plant populations, deep ripping soybean fields in the fall, blocking roads with their equipment (put in a road approach). Money doesnt seem to be much of an object with them. That is not reality for most farmers I know. Things are pretty damn tight right now.

Broadcasting P and K fertilizer, high plant populations, deep ripping soybean fields in the fall, blocking roads with their equipment (put in a road approach). Money doesnt seem to be much of an object with them. That is not reality for most farmers I know. Things are pretty damn tight right now.
Farmers will still be farmers. Unfortunately this year there are going to be plenty of them that arent farming ground that they "own" any more.

Why the first 2? I’m not trying to argue your points... just curious

Why the first 2? I’m not trying to argue your points... just curious

Cause I think broadcast fertilizer makes farmers over-apply nutrients, and specifically broadcast P is much more susceptible to cause problems with polluting lakes and streams. If farmers deep rip a soybean field in the fall it is a mushy mess by spring. Then they go out and most likely level it off with the field cultivator, then the coop comes and spreads fertilizer across the top. As soon as they are done you field cultivate again to incorporate the P and K. Only problem is its shallow incorporation. Then after all the tillage you get a heavy rain and the soil and the fertilizer erode into lakes and streams. I see it happen all the time and just cringe. I band my P, K, some S and some micros with the planter 4" deep and run half the rates and get better crops than all of my broadcast neighbors.

High plant populations make seed people rich. They make your plants less healthy and open them up to more diseases. Those disease can spread from field to field. I dont want the neighbors disease blowing into my fields from their sick crops. Some of that stuff stays in the soil for a long time. A perfect example is white mold in soybeans. I routinely plant 6,000-8,000 less corn plants per acre and 40,000 less bean plants per acre than the neighbors and my yields blow right past them.

Was just watching his latest upload while i typed out a reply to your other post.