MN Gun Opener Reports

First lesson DNR needs in accounting: you have to have something to shoot before you can harvest it.

Legit DNR statement: I DID AN EDIT COPY EDIT PASTE.

Yet anecdotal reports from around the state indicate hunters battled crops (CORN) and the weather – wind (WIND) was a constant factor, especially on opening day, and hunters also dealt with frigid temperatures, snow, and rain (RAIN).

There was corn and snow in our area so that really dropped the harvest...however, upon further inspection there were no deer tracks in the snow going in or out of the corn so it turns out the real reason is there isn't many deer.:)

Like I said before, does anyone envision any scenario where the DNR won't claim absolute success or denial of responsibility for whatever happens? The larger question they need to answer is how did we get this far below the mark? Two winters, corn, wind, and rain cannot destroy a statewide deer herd alone.

Back to reports for a minute...another 2.5 year old tested my will tonight. I still have a tag :D

Had quite a number of does/fawns around tonight, all heading to the unpicked bean field across the road from me...same place the buck headed. Next year these darn 2.5's may not get a pass anymore
I'd be honored to mount a 120" 3.5. When I can get to seeing multiple in a year, I'll raise the bar. May have to frame up an extra wall in my apartment if it comes to it. The only thing that would stop me is if I had a unified mile radius of land owners committed to getting to 4.5, or I can successfully connect the food and cover route in my area and render the neighbor properties unnecessary for the deer to utilize.

Zone 1 down 50%
Zone 2 down 30%
Zone 3 where there is no winter down almost 10%

Got the report from co-workers, out of probably 15 people 3 bucks were shot. 2 small 8 pointers and one 'decent' 110 inch 8.

What the hell is wrong with people? Saw this post on another forum

"Finally saw 3 deer tonight! I figured that I might as well take one while I can. I am glad I got drawn for a doe permit this year. We sat for 2 full days and 2 partial and these were the first ones we saw."

So you sit for hours and hours and see nothing, then finally see a couple deer...and your solution to this problem of not seeing deer is to kill one of the deer that makes more deer...brilliant o_O

Another...why on earth would a guy post this publicly?

"My older boy probably took 10-15 shots over the weekend but didn't have anything to show for it. He had a good time though as this was the first year he actually had deer to shoot at."

So, either this guy did a piss poor of teaching his child or....or nothing...he did a piss poor job

My kid wouldn't be shooting anything for a while if he did that.

Stu,
Those are the same people that get fingers pointed at them by the guys on the other forum....
Example.
"Dont blame the DNR, people are the ones shooting the deer and they need to learn trigger restraint"

I am tired of reading that over and over... Yes, it is true people dont have to pull the trigger. But for cripes sakes,,,, how many people that toss on the orange have ANY clue at all other than, "I bought a license to shoot."?
A buttload of deer hunters arent really much of hunters... They are just there to hang out with the guys and shoot at something. Simple as that.

The DNR holds the cards in fixing this mess. We will never fix it by thinking we are going to educate all the deer hunters in this state. No frickin way.

My kid wouldn't be shooting anything for a while if he did that.

Goddang right Jim.
My son has shot 4 times in his life and has 4 deer.

our neighbors,,, holy crap.... I swear on the bible, I dont think they have ever taken 1 shot at a deer. And when one guy starts blazing, then its the next guy, and the next one.

You have no idea how many times I have sat shaking my head when the barrage begins. And boy do they lose deer. Its just really sad. 3 years in a row I had wounded deer that luckily came by me that I was able to shoot. I shit you not.

It's comical that anyone thinks that all hunters should be able to govern themselves. If that were the case, would we need fish limits, or criminal statutes? Murder shouldn't be regulated. People just shouldn't kill one another.

o_O

A buddy and I started hunting again last night and will hunt the weekend. Perfect this morning with no wind and temps around zero. Combined saw 6 does and 2 young bucks. One buck had his nose to the ground and the other didn't. Almost no shots but that will change this weekend. Looks like good conditions for Hunting this weekend.

A buddy and I started hunting again last night and will hunt the weekend. Perfect this morning with no wind and temps around zero. Combined saw 6 does and 2 young bucks. One buck had his nose to the ground and the other didn't. Almost no shots but that will change this weekend. Looks like good conditions for Hunting this weekend.

Yep.....if you enjoy the COLD!! My grandson is coming up to try to fill his tag.....and I'm going to accompany him and to see if I can find a coyote with a bad disposition. Not looking forward to the cold tho.

Heading up in the morning for an evening hunt and Sunday AM. Wont be long sits in the stand....

Heading up in the morning for an evening hunt and Sunday AM. Wont be long sits in the stand....
Good luck

You have food plots?

Yep.....if you enjoy the COLD!! My grandson is coming up to try to fill his tag.....and I'm going to accompany him and to see if I can find a coyote with a bad disposition. Not looking forward to the cold tho.
No wind today and it was perfect out. Lots of layers and toe/hand warmers. With the snow it was nice out. My buddy did not close deal so up early tomorrow.

Sunday looks bad, I might sleep in Sunday.

You have food plots?

Yes, 2 acre bean plot, 3 acre corn plot(with beans between corn rows in about 1/2 of it), 1 acre corn plot, 1/2 acre rye mixed with turnips, and several small clover plots in various openings in and along woodlines.
Planning on sitting on my bean field edge tomorrow afternoon. Part of me says to get back in the woods though and find a buck cruising, but part of me says sit on food and maybe a doe with some estrous perfume comes up to feed...... With big daddy following up shortly after.....

Sure wish I was up there for the evening hunt tonight, but my daughter has hockey at 9pm tonight. I contemplated going up after that, but I dont want to get on the road at 10:30pm either.

3.20 pm my second guided offspring kill of the year. The buck followed the string of hinge cut doe bedding Stevey Bart prescribed surrounding a plot. Canned him to 30 and the blood trail was short. Grilled backstrap and lots of beer in deer camp tonight. Life is good.
IMG_0290 (1).JPG

Nice deer bet that kid was pumped. Deer has a young looking face but good genes.

Chit I wanted to be up hunting tonight.... It just felt like a good night.

Congrats to your son Brooks.

My youngest sat with me last night. We saw a grey fox and one deer that was behind her. That is the second deer that she has spotted this season and she could not get a decent shot.
The first deer was a buck that she could have shot in the a$$, but she did not want to take a crippling shot. I'm proud of her for that choice.