MN Gun Opener Reports

Figured out this morning I am not set up to hunt in this cold of weather.

Minus 4 degrees this morning. Sitting for yotes while my grandson try's for one. I didn't put on enough clothes. Coffee back at the car is nice.

Just got in, very quiet morning. Almost no shots. 6 does and 1 small buck this morning. Good sign of pheasants, happy to see there liking my corn. They sure are cocky, they love to sound off.

Time to watch the Gophers, they need to play well today.

Very quite tonight, almost no shots. Overall for the rifle season shots are down at least 40 %. I'm lucky to have deer on my place and were doing everything to keep them on our place.

A couple does tonight but that's it, the deer have wised up. Looks like my buddy will need to close the deal on a mature buck tomorrow morning or maybe take a doe.

No deer seen here. My corn and beans look lonely.
Hunting the morning and hanging it up for the gun season. Not wasting any more time watching birds.
I can do that from the comfort of my house.

Park-hunt opener results:
Busted by a little buck. Missed a fawn at close range that I should have taken more time on. Missed a fawn on the move, but this one had it's nose down to a deer trail. Moved my stand over to the trail and a bit later got a 3.5 year old 180 pound buck. Back at it in the morning.

My grandson was hunting deer and I was hunting yotes. He saw 1 deer thru the brush.....and no yotes came by. VERY few shots around here. Gophers gave it a run tho.....:)

I've been seeing nothing but fawns lately and they are all button bucks. My sister in law had two out in front of her and she pulled the trigger only to find out she forgot to rack one in the chamber. Someone was looking out for those little guys. One more day of this nonsense.

Nice deer bet that kid was pumped. Deer has a young looking face but good genes.

12 does last night, most were in the field by 3.30. They are finally eating the peas I planted. Thought peas were deer candy?

Got to talk with a few more coop members over the course of the weekend. The letter we did talking about how to gauge if you need to shoot does or not seemed to really hit home and I am glad I did it.

We are going to do a coop day in December at Porkys in Hillman on using trail cameras for deer surveys, where guys can figure out buck to doe ratios, density estimates, fawn recruitment and age structure. Should be a good one where locals can compare notes on each others herds and maybe share ideas on how to improve whatever it is they are lacking.

12 does last night, most were in the field by 3.30. They are finally eating the peas I planted. Thought peas were deer candy?

Got to talk with a few more coop members over the course of the weekend. The letter we did talking about how to gauge if you need to shoot does or not seemed to really hit home and I am glad I did it.

We are going to do a coop day in December at Porkys in Hillman on using trail cameras for deer surveys, where guys can figure out buck to doe ratios, density estimates, fawn recruitment and age structure. Should be a good one where locals can compare notes on each others herds and maybe share ideas on how to improve whatever it is they are lacking.

If that is on a Sunday, please let me know. I would like to see some discussion of the audit and also of the stakeholder teams.

I would like to have contacts with the Hillman Deer Management group and the Mille Lacs group for the upcoming stake holder teams.

Hope I can make it!

My wife shot a nice 8 point at 4:45 last night. We are done, unless my daughter wants to try and fill her youth tag this evening.

No does killed on our farm up to the present.

My daughters and wife like the earlier rifle season with the cold temperatures we had this year. Me, too!

image.jpg My son shot a doe, his first deer! We have it on video. Twenty five yard heart shot... Doe went maybe 30 yards

The standing beans were bringing in deer from all over. We saw around 20 deer. I'm fortunate that this property is part of the biggest block of timber in our county 700 acres roughly, and there is maybe one other food plot.

Last edited:
Always good to hear first deer reports. Congrats to your son!

Excellent job all!

Today I finally got to see deer. 2 does and 2 fawns came by in a line. Weather today is supposed to go way south, so I am not sure yet if I am staying. This morning was a cold mutha in the wind.

Hmmm. Just checked forecast on weather.com and now winds wont exceed 15mph tonight according to that site... local radio out of Alex said winds 20-30 this afternoon.... Cripes!!!!

Park-hunt opener results:
Busted by a little buck. Missed a fawn at close range that I should have taken more time on. Missed a fawn on the move, but this one had it's nose down to a deer trail. Moved my stand over to the trail and a bit later got a 3.5 year old 180 pound buck. Back at it in the morning.
Did you kill the 3 year old?

No deer seen here. My corn and beans look lonely.
Hunting the morning and hanging it up for the gun season. Not wasting any more time watching birds.
I can do that from the comfort of my house.
You posted my experience.

Did you kill the 3 year old?
Yep. Got a button buck and doe today. Gonna be a lot of work butchering the next few days.

Our group only did ok. 10 of us in the group total, got 3 bucks, and 7 antlerless. If we would of gotten most of what we shot at we would of had 20 deer easy. I shouldn't complain that I got 3, but I should of had 7. Lots, and lots of stories from other park hunters of missed deer and guns not working or breaking. As another old-time park-hunter once told a group of us, "You know why there is such big deer in this park don't you? Cause we all suck at hunting!!!"

Sounds like a pretty dang good hunt!

Any idea on the number of deer taken? Any bruiser bucks?