Mn elderly get automatic doe tag?

Thats crap. Anybody with that much hunting experience should appreciate the need to let does walk when the herd is down. He should be letting others know that when the herd is down you let momma deer walk.

No disrespect for the elderly intended, but I am handing out no pity cards to those who have had a good life and can't abide by the old adage 'wise is the man who plants a tree knowing he will never enjoy the shade' or however it goes.

If you want something in life you have to go out and get it. That is exactly what this man did, props to him.

boy,,,,, does that open a can of worms? Where should it stop? Why 84? Because he is 84? Why not 80? Why not 78?

Why didnt he send a letter to get his grandchildren an automatic tag instead?

If you want something in life you have to go out and get it. That is exactly what this man did, props to him.

Many in America get all they need for doing nothing. The fill out a couple forms and live for free off the taxes educated and motivated Americans pay. About the same effort as this guy. Props to them?

Oh get over it. He served for our country, hardly comparable to unqualified individuals living off welfare.

Oh get over it. He served for our country, hardly comparable to unqualified individuals living off welfare.

You were the one who gave props for an email he sent.

You were the one who gave props for an email he sent.
I'm not following you.

He sent an email and you feel he should get a free doe tag in an area we need more does having babies.

He rode the bus to where ever you fill out forms for free food and housing and gets free food and housing when he could get a job.

I don't like either scenario. Props to neither.

I guess I feel that most 84 year old individuals don't have the initiative he has. He seems to have lived life by the book and he wants to be able to kill at least one more deer before his time comes. 2200 more tags given out will be dispersed throughout the entire state and some of them will go unfilled (seeing as 84+ year olds probably don't sit very long... as this man stated). If I lived in MN I would not be pissed if a VERY small amount of my neighbors got an additional doe tag, especially seeing as these tags, again, are going to the very elderly. I can understand your perspective as you live in MN and likely have invested a lot of time and money in your hunting experience. But this mans request is about a lot more than just killing a deer.

I do like your saying, "wise is the man who plants a tree knowing he will never enjoy the shade.." Have never heard this.

Thats crap. Anybody with that much hunting experience should appreciate the need to let does walk when the herd is down. He should be letting others know that when the herd is down you let momma deer walk.

No disrespect for the elderly intended, but I am handing out no pity cards to those who have had a good life and can't abide by the old adage 'wise is the man who plants a tree knowing he will never enjoy the shade' or however it goes.

That's pretty cold Batman. He's a veteran, 84 years old. I highly doubt he'll effect the deer population of Minnesota much.

Nobody is against hand outs more than me. But an 80+ year old vet gets a pass in my book.

I vote he gets a tag. JMHO

boy,,,,, does that open a can of worms? Where should it stop? Why 84? Because he is 84? Why not 80? Why not 78?

Why didnt he send a letter to get his grandchildren an automatic tag instead?

biglakeba$$ - you wouldn't be a garage logician by any chance would you?? (I am, big time!).

-John

Party tagging is legal in MN.
In the northern zones kids cant even get an anterless tag(where this guy lives)...
However, a youth tag in the remainder of the state, is not a tag that can be used for party tagging. But there is plenty of scrutiny on the success rates that these youth have... You know what I mean.... Uncle Joe is shooting the deer for the kids in many cases seems to be what is happening.

My guess is the Grandpa tag will be similar that its not legal for anyone else to use on a deer shot by a party member.. yea, we'll see how many bend that rule.
Funnier yet, how many additional 84+ year olds will miraculously be buying licenses next year?
Now granpappy gets a tag to go out and shoot a doe while his 14 year old grandson gets to wait several years for the herd to rebuild and hope a legal buck walks by in the mean time. That to me is pretty lame.

Good program.
I think my mom who is 66 should get a welfare tag of some sort because she has never deer hunted and deserves a little silver platter as well so that she has a better chance at getting her first deer.

Seriously, where do you draw the line?

That's exactly right. The bigger issue should be, "Why aren't there more deer?" Not discussing carve outs for divvying up the few deer that are left. What's ironic is that the arrowhead region has the poorest population of deer in the state, yet every do-gooder environmentalist out there still bemoans the death of the forest at the hands of deer up there. I wouldn't be shocked to see it opened back up to shall-issue doe tags next fall anyway.

If this goes through, the tags should only go to hunters who have purchased deer licenses during the last 3 years.

No question that the elders should not get a tag if the youth can not get one. Youth should come first.

That's pretty cold Batman. He's a veteran, 84 years old. I highly doubt he'll effect the deer population of Minnesota much.

Nobody is against hand outs more than me. But an 80+ year old vet gets a pass in my book.

I vote he gets a tag. JMHO

biglakeba$$ - you wouldn't be a garage logician by any chance would you?? (I am, big time!).

-John
Public relations #1, never throw the elderly or children under the bus. You will never gain public appeal if you don't.
Adults have been violating the youth hunting seasons since they started. Violations didn't start with the doe tags up north.

I was fortunate enough to be mentored by two grandfathers who fall into the same categories as this guy. I vote they get what ever they want. Any elderly get a tag, no. Any elderly vet get a tag, heck yes.

Slippery slope indeed. Bottom line is that special privileges will create animosity, bitterness, & division among our ranks.

I was fortunate enough to be mentored by two grandfathers who fall into the same categories as this guy. I vote they get what ever they want. Any elderly get a tag, no. Any elderly vet get a tag, heck yes.

I like the spirit of a law like that, but I have a hard time supporting laws that give special treatment based on any status.

The issue in MN is also abuse of antlerless tags that are not supposed to be used for cross-tagging/party hunting but still get used. It is more of a localized issue that can impact smaller landowners and public land hunters. No reason to suspect the guy in the article of anything like that but I guarantee people reading it thought, "perfect lets buy grandma and grandpa licenses this year and shoot a couple does in the arrowhead". Sandburs idea of it only being for folks that bought a license in the last 3 years could help with that.

Honestly, I don't get the entitlement mentality. I'm (fill in your perceived disadvantage here) so I should get things other people don't get. I think it's as simple as that. I'm sympathetic to an 84 year old vet who wants to shoot one more deer, but the solution is his own family taking him somewhere where he can shoot that deer. Heck, just tell him he shot a ten pointer last fall, he probably can't remember anything anyway.