10 Point, and my buck tag is punched

roymunson

5 year old buck +
Last evening the weather had dropped about 10 degrees from the day before, we had a rain event, and the wind was good for the stand. Also, the red moon was supposed to be last evening (if you're into that). So I got out of work and headed to the blind overlooking a 1/3 acre oats plot connected to an acre of clover.

Got in about 3:30 and bumped some deer off of the field, so I quickly got up in the blind.

about an hour later the does started trickling in. I think by 5:15 I had 9-10 deer within 20-30 yards of me. They'd eat oats then mosey into the clover. Was cool to watch the different doe groups interact. I was having a blast.

About 5:35 or so I looked and out of the woods lane walked a really nice buck. I'd had some pictures of him and he was on the borderline of if I'd shoot or not. He cleaned out a scrape. Pawed it all up, head in the limb, that kind of thing which was really cool to see. Ate a little corn then walked into the middle of the oats plot. By this time, I'd decided, I haven't shot a deer in 4 seasons, I'm going to take him.

My heart was thumping like crazy, which was worth the cost of admission itself.

Got my window open and drew. Was so excited I eased up just a bit on the bow and the cams yanked my string down. Luckily I didn't booger anything.

I redrew and at just over 20 yards I let it fly. The arrow fell out of the off side as he left the plot.

About 10 minutes later, it started to rain. The shot looked a little back, but was a fatal hit.

We went into the woods after dark and found 1 spot with some blood and the arrow. The blood that hadn't been washed off the arrow had bubbles in it, but we decided since he ran into the thick bedding area, we'd wait til this AM to go after him.

Came back at first light and got depressed. The timber that was cut 2 years ago has made for some incredbly thick bedding areas. Blackberrys 6-8' tall. I thought if he flopped into there with his last gasp, I can be within 5 yards of him and never see him.

Well my buddy circled up around and was coming back, got on a log and happened to see a deer laying 20 yards away. Binocs said it had antlers and my buck tag was filled for Ohio.

I thought he was 4, but after I got to him, I'm thinking he was a really nice 3 year old. Kind of a bit of a damper, but it's the first buck I've ever killed with a landowner's tag, in a plot I planted, from a blind I set. That's a feeling of accomplishment. I will be picky another time.

Anyways, Haven't got a tape to him yet, and frankly, I don't care too much. But he was just over 19" inside

Attachments

• IMG_2150.jpg
    IMG_2150.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    737.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2157.jpg
    705.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2153.jpg
    IMG_2153.jpg
    588.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2139.jpg
    IMG_2139.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 146
That is a very nice buck, congrats to you!

That is AWESOME Roy, congrats bud!! Great story too, and what a reward for all your hard work from planting the plot to setting the blind. I am genuinely happy for you bud!
Our bow opener is tomorrow!

Awesome! Nice buck man. :emoji_metal:

Awesome! Congrats!

Congrats!

Great deer! And great effort!

Thanks fellas. It was as much fun as a guy can have in the woods by himself.

Great job Roy. Congratulations!

Awesome awesome! Good stuff. Congratulations

Congrats!

What did his left G2 measure?

Very nice. I’m always happy to see one of us habitat guys take a nice buck. Great job

Outstanding Roy. Congrats on a beautiful buck on your own land. All your hard work has paid off in spades.

Beautiful buck Roy!!! Great story! It seems that you had a successful plan laid down to a "T", way to make it happen!!

That's an awesome buck and a great hunt experience. Love it when a plan comes together.

congrats that's a great buck!

Great buck!

Congratulations!

I love tagging out early. Yeah I may miss the rut with a bow but also miss early cold A$$ morning’s in a tree..