MN CWD Hunt

I realize that nobody wants it to happen to them but it is absolutely the right thing to do. It isn't the first time it has popped in Mn, they eradicated deer in that area and it seemed to stop it. I live near the TB area in NW MN and the same thing was done there. It made for a few rough years but deer are filling back in now and TB isn't running wild in the population. I think the only thing that MN has to fear is that neighboring states are letting it spread without interruption and eventually we are going to have a problem on the eastern boundary of the state.

I totally agree with the above post, but also somewhat agree with the post after your comment.

If a disease is caught early in an area, we must do everything possible to eliminate (or in this case restrict) it's spread. We did it with TB and apparently did fairly well with the previous CWD case in wild deer.

If or when, CWD gets a strong foothold, a decision will need to be made on control over a widespread area, instead of restriction/elimination of the disease locally. A decisions will also need to be made on amount of dollars to be spent on the program.

If we can buy some time before widespread CWD, we might have new information on control, effect on populations of deer, and potential for human infection. At present human infection does not seem likely.

And what is that? Is it slowing the spread of CWD across the state to all of the deer herd?

If you've been following this thread you know my stance on CWD. It's stupid to try and eradicate it, which is what you will be helping to attempt to accomplish. We'll see what your stance on the issue is when it shows up at your doorstep.

^^Very happy I don't own by public land.

It's on my doorstep and from what I can tell killing a bunch of deer hasn't had any real affect in other states. Thus my stance. I just don't think enough is known about it even after all these year.

MDC announced the removal of APR's in the CWD zone last year and the official reason was " older bucks are more likely to contract the disease." Today on their website it says they did it because "young bucks looking for new territory are more likely to spread it."

Both could be true but why change the official narrative? Did they do a poll to see which statement was more acceptable or did they do a study to see which statement was more accurate.

Reactions: kl9
It's on my doorstep and from what I can tell killing a bunch of deer hasn't had any real affect in other states. Thus my stance. I just don't think enough is known about it even after all these year.

MDC announced the removal of APR's in the CWD zone last year and the official reason was " older bucks are more likely to contract the disease." Today on their website it says they did it because "young bucks looking for new territory are more likely to spread it."

Both could be true but why change the official narrative? Did they do a poll to see which statement was more acceptable or did they do a study to see which statement was more accurate.
From all previous research that I have seen, BOTH of the above scenarios are highly likely to be true. Both instances stated above have basically been "proven" in the CWD "hot zone" in south central WI. Prevalence rates from harvested animals all point to these being huge transmitters of the disease and given a bucks propensity towards using every licking branch it stumbles across, they are just as likely to spread the prions through both horizontal transmission(i.e. through personal contact with another deer, like licking each other), or by fomite transmission(by licking and leaving the prions on the inanimate branch, to be contacted by the next deer to lick it). Either way, the above statements are both true and valid. I think they are expanding on the "official narrative" more so than they are changing it.

SE MN was one area where the hunters asked for change and got it in MN. The hunting improved for mature bucks. Now back to the old way.

Really stinks, and now it will be tough to make any changes in the future in other zones of MN.

Sad, this state could be SO good, but it's average at best.

Interesting note on the CWD claims. In WI they were shouting last year about the jump in the CWD positive percentage hitting over 13%. So far this year it's about 45% lower yet there were more deer sampled in the Southern Zone and more deer overall running around to spread the disease. Funny, those tooting the horn are now quiet about that.

Interesting note on the CWD claims. In WI they were shouting last year about the jump in the CWD positive percentage hitting over 13%. So far this year it's about 45% lower yet there were more deer sampled in the Southern Zone and more deer overall running around to spread the disease. Funny, those tooting the horn are now quiet about that.

This year is there now -32% positive or about 7% positive? No need for either side to spin the data to display large numbers to sway opinions. 7% is still too much, but might be what we have to live with.

I just don't think eradicating all the deer in area is going to change anything.

And I think I'll keep my mouth shut about it because I don't know enough. Don't want to turn into one those conservation dept guys making an assumption become expert opinion.

And I have to correct myself. I was wrong about when it hit WI. First case I can find info in was 2002.

Reactions: kl9
The University of WI-Madison was doing research on CWD infected tissue from CO and WY back in the mid to late 90's. This was back when CWD research was in it's infancy and not much was known about the prions, how they were spread, or how long they persisted in the environment. Speculation(which is not really speculation at this point, as they have all but admitted this happened, without actually admitting to anything:confused:o_O) is that they disposed of this infected material on a farm that just so happens to be right smack in the middle of the CWD "hot zone" down in south central WI. First positive case in wild cervids in WI was in 2002.

More CWD found, per the Strib:
Chronic wasting disease found in Minnesota farmed deer herd
Associated Press
December 30, 2016 — 3:35pm
ST. PAUL, Minn. — The Minnesota Board of Animal Health says chronic wasting disease has been discovered in a farmed deer herd in Crow Wing County.

The herd is made up of 33 mule deer and 100 white-tailed deer. Authorities say a pair of two-year-old female deer tested positive for the disease. They showed no clinical signs of illness.

The herd has been quarantined while animal health officials and the owner decide their next move.

Chronic wasting disease is fatal to deer, elk and moose but is not known to affect human health.

It doesn't make sense to kill all the deer in an area and I really haven't heard anywhere it made a difference except they tested fewer positive because there wasn't any deer left.Most of the biologist that I read about when it all started said it was a natural occurrence.What happens when you are killing deer up to this set line and some deer run across that line,now you spread it and the line has to be extended time and time again.Fish and game biologist have been really the only ones to support the all out killing of deer herds.I have seen where it was compared to anthrax in Texas which has been there since the buffalo and is still there and it still kills deer.

...What happens when you are killing deer up to this set line and some deer run across that line,now you spread it and the line has to be extended time and time again.....

I would guess that is why it makes sense to other people to kill all the deer inside the area, so they don't run outside the area.

What I am saying is that I am guessing they say from this road to this road or something,so what if a deer beds on the other side of road and with all the extra pressure leaves and moves 2 miles out of area,now what.We know they move from any extra pressure or they hide and unless you walk shoulder to shoulder they will still be there.Another thing is the feeding deal.I get more video of deer licking or touching in the timber than at a feeder

Ask those in Wisconsin how killing a ton of deer off has worked for them? Its a waste of a bunch of good healthy deer! I believe CWD is in every state and has been for a long time. The harder you look for it the more you will find it. I do think it will get to the point where we will have to test all of our deer when we shoot them before we consume them. Or it will be up to us to do it anyway. I do believe that if it was something that transferred to humans we would have seen cases by now. However, what scares me is how things can change over time and morph into something that can harm things that it couldn't before. That's my biggest concern, is that in time CWD could find away to effect humans like CJD does in mad cow disease. but with all that I have read about CWD, they will never be able to contain it or eliminate it completely. Not when it can live in the soil for years and years on end. I sure hope I am wrong in my thoughts.

Two recent stories that show some of the latest scientific thinking about CWD. I know science is falling out of favor in some circles. We may have to give up QDM in some areas in order to slow the spread of this disease. My family hunts an area at the edge of the CWD zone. Two of my brother's last three bucks (3yr old +) tested positive. He threw away a lot of meat, as a precaution. This year he decided he would shoot a yearling buck for meat, a bigger one for sport. Well, after 15 yrs+ of QDM he just couldn't pull the trigger on a yearling. He decided to keep QDM standards for now but realizes we may need to change. Definitely no easy answers...

http://host.madison.com/sports/recr...cle_227dd384-743b-58da-b21c-2ab2e94f1ec7.html

http://www.uwyo.edu/uw/news/2016/09...e-of-white-tailed-deer-declines-from-cwd.html

Two recent stories that show some of the latest scientific thinking about CWD. I know science is falling out of favor in some circles. We may have to give up QDM in some areas in order to slow the spread of this disease. My family hunts an area at the edge of the CWD zone. Two of my brother's last three bucks (3yr old +) tested positive. He threw away a lot of meat, as a precaution. This year he decided he would shoot a yearling buck for meat, a bigger one for sport. Well, after 15 yrs+ of QDM he just couldn't pull the trigger on a yearling. He decided to keep QDM standards for now but realizes we may need to change. Definitely no easy answers...

http://host.madison.com/sports/recr...cle_227dd384-743b-58da-b21c-2ab2e94f1ec7.html

http://www.uwyo.edu/uw/news/2016/09...e-of-white-tailed-deer-declines-from-cwd.html

I suspect we will see some big changes in the way we manage and harvest deer.

I find some of this convenient for officials already biased against deer to continue to lower populations.

There's really not enough info sited in those articles to draw much of a conclusion. So many other factors at play in Wyoming over an 8 year period. How big an area did they study? Localized extinctions on one ranch or half the state? Any blue tongue or EHD in the equation? If they are losing 10% of their herd per year, and it has been there for 50 years, how did they find any deer to study by the 8th year? Gotta say.....I'm suspicious there!