Minnesota (Cost per square foot) Pole Shed

bwoods11

5 year old buck +
I have a pretty good idea what pole shed costs are from my insurance estimates. However, it can vary.
Anyone have a recent experience with this?

Thinking 40 x 60 with cement, basic pole shed without any major extras.....

Thanks

My Dad just built one this summer that exact size I believe and it was 21k.

This was at his place by Battle Lake. A distant relative of ours has built pole sheds for many years. So I dont think there was really a relative discount.

Way to many variables, a basic shed can mean a lot of things depending on the builder. We have built 8 sheds in the last 30 years. Morton and Lester buildings were the 2 highest priced. But the quality was second to none. Sherman Buildings out of Mora, Mn goes all over, and can give you a quick resonable bid with concrete if you need one. http://www.shermanpolebuildings.com/

You guys are fast!! $21,000 sounds good! I was thinking around $14 a square foot for what I was looking at...but I know it can vary as MO stated.

You guys are fast!! $21,000 sounds good! I was thinking around $14 a square foot for what I was looking at...but I know it can vary as MO stated.

A lot can influence price. Site prep, fill sand, maybe a lot or just a few loads for under concrete. Wall height, Colored tin or galvanized, wains coat, sliding door, service doors, over head door, over hangs, windows, skylights, posts 6, 8 or 10' on center. Concrete post footings, wind bracing, 4" or 6" concrete, 3,500lb-4,500lb concrete, Fiber mesh concrete, 1/2 rebar 2' on center, 4' on center? Until you figure out exactly what you want or need in your new shed, there would be no way to figure an exact sq. ft. price, just a guess. Good Luck, show pictures when you get it done!

oh.... no concrete floor in dads.... Forgot to mention that.

He did 12 ft walls. He did all the site prep himself.

oh.... no concrete floor in dads.... Forgot to mention that.

He did 12 ft walls. He did all the site prep himself.

Ok that makes sense

I can't help on your's but I am currently getting some bids on a 30x36 with 10' walls, no windows, one service door, 1 10x9 & 1 9x9 overhead door with 16" overhangs & concrete floor with vapor barrier. I'll post to compare.

Last edited:
I can't help on your but I am currently getting some bids on a 30x36 with 10' walls, no windows, one service door, 1 10x9 & 1 9x9 overhead door with 16" overhangs & concrete floor with vapor barrier. I'll post to compare.
Please do!

I can't help on your's but I am currently getting some bids on a 30x36 with 10' walls, no windows, one service door, 1 10x9 & 1 9x9 overhead door with 16" overhangs & concrete floor with vapor barrier. I'll post to compare.

I had a Cleary Builidng much like this put up a few years back. Mine was 30x40 with ten foot sidewalls and good overhangs with aluminum vents and ridge venting (very important). I had one 16' wide insulated door and one man door. I paid Cleary $12,500 for the building and they did the final site grade and all the work. Took them 3 days to do it IIRC.

Then I had the floor poured to my specs. I had vapor barrier and rebar throughout and I think 5" of good crete and an 8' apron across the front (wonderful work area). I think I paid about $4500 for the concrete work (but I have forgotten exact numbers). The vapor barrier and proper venting has prevented any condensation problems associated with some of these buildings.

I also had electric service added after I was able to get the power company to run a line to my property.

One thing I should have done is to put a window or door in the opposite end of my building. The still air is sometimes a real problem - H O T in the summer. If I had it to do over, I would put up a bigger building (40x60') with 12' sidewalls.....but my building is adequate, and was quite affordable at the time.

I don't know anything about costs but I have heard that Ram Buildings out of Winsted makes a good shed.

I don't know anything about costs but I have heard that Ram Buildings out of Winsted makes a good shed.
I think most of the buildings today are of similar construction. I like the way some companies deal with the rafters attachment to the columns, and the way some companies stand the joists on edge rather than lay them down, etc. But basically most companies use treated wood where they need to and perform most functions the same. Most of the steel comes from the same fabricators....and not too many sizable differences there. The bigger companies have got the game down pretty well.....IMO....but it does pay to compare. Laminated columns are a must IMO.

I like my Cleary building, my SIL has an AmeriBuilt (St Cloud) which seems like a very good building. Another SIL has a Cleary. My BIL had a Norhtland put up.....and failed to get some specs down correctly making for all kinds of problems (no doors? and leaky roof? duh?). All depends on who is in your neighborhood.

Last edited:
Foggy I'm guessing your is a pole shed with a concrete floor. Myself I'm looking at building on top of the slab.

Foggy I'm guessing your is a pole shed with a concrete floor. Myself I'm looking at building on top of the slab.
Yep my shed was built first....and then they poured the slab upon completion. This is typical with pole construction but not with "stick built" counttructtion - which must be what your planning.

Sorry we did not connect today Tooln. Too many things going on at one time today. Gonna give you ac call tommorow.

Sorry we did not connect today Tooln. Too many things going on at one time today. Gonna give you ac call tommorow.

Yea I understand the busy part. I tried you later and it went to voice mail. Maybe tomorrow late afternoon or evening, whats the best time for you?

A rep from Cleary called today. He said he bid one near me the same size for $27k. This sounded high to me. I have 2 local contractors who I'm waiting on their estimates.

Last edited:
Did you try Meyer out of Dorchester? They did mine and it was done on time.

A rep from Cleary called today. He said he bid one near me the same sixe for $27k. This sounded high to me. I have 2 local contractors who I'm waiting on their estimates.
Seems pretty high. On these buildings....you really need a couple of bids and work one guy against the other. They all have some margin to give up - somewhat depending on how busy they are - but they all need to be worked a bit to get the best deal. Competition makes the world go round.

Did you try Meyer out of Dorchester? They did mine and it was done on time.
I'm waiting 2 local contractors & for Meyers to get back to me. Another one that returned was Pinno buildings $20k.

I am having a simple 40'x64'x12 put up right now from Hixwood metals out of Stanley, WI. 2 16' sliding doors, service door & 2' overhang. No concrete. 22K