Milk-Jug method of container trees

OakSeeds

5 year old buck +
On another thread someone ask me to describe how I grow trees using milk jugs as in-ground containers. I will start the thread by describing how I prepare the milk jugs for use and then proceed to planting method and other issues. You can use either half-gallon or gallon milk jugs (or any plastic container that held liquids). I start by using a big pair of snips to cut the top off the jug and 2 or 3 corners off the bottom of each jug. See attached photos.
Milk jug 1.JPG
I start on the right side of the handle and cut my way around the top; it is important NOT to cut the handle off the jug since the handle makes the jug easier to handle when you want to dig the tree for transplant.
Milk jug 2.JPG Milk jug 3.JPG
Now you need to make some holes in the bottom of the jug:
Milk jug 4.JPG
Next, I "plant " the jugs in my mini-nursery without an acorn in the jug (soil only); the jugs can be planted in any configuration ... 5 X 5 square / straight line(s) / circle / whatever. Attached is a photo of a straight line group of unplanted (no seed) jugs.
2016 milk cartons.JPG
Finally, here are some swamp white oaks from last year. I'll add photos of this years plantings at a later date.
2014 container oaks.JPG

Thank you a ton for posting!
At this point do you just cut the jug off and plant the seedling?

Thank you a ton for posting!
At this point do you just cut the jug off and plant the seedling?

CS .... take a razor knife and cut straight down - top to bottom -on 2 adjacent corners and the entire "block" is easily available (lift right out in a whole piece). It is very useful to water the tree/container generously before you dig it; the wet soil gives up roots (those outside the container) much more generously than dry soil where the small roots tend to break off. Plus, when you cut open the container to plant the tree, the wet block of soil in the jug stays together (doesn't disturb roots in the jug) and you simply plant a one-half gallon plug. Good luck.

OakSeeds,

I saw an oak that you had direct seeded on another thread on this forum that was about 12 feet tall. You had a pole beside it. Did you by any chance start that in a 1/2 gallon milk jug like explained here.

I like the protection you are providing the roots.

Thanks for sharing.

OakSeeds,

I saw an oak that you had direct seeded on another thread on this forum that was about 12 feet tall. You had a pole beside it. Did you by any chance start that in a 1/2 gallon milk jug like explained here?

No my friend that tree is the result of a direct seeded acorn in that spot. It was watered, protected, fertilized, and allowed to grow with little or no competition. On that other thread I said I would rarely if ever plant an acorn/seed in a container above ground. Actually, I try to direct seed at the final location whenever possible; I've read too many horror stories from folks who tried to raise quality trees above ground. Way too difficult to control hydration and temperature. I'm not really too fond of raising them in in -ground milk jugs; however, I have friends and associates who ask for unique oaks, etc (they often buy my wife and me dinner for a couple of trees). Other times I raise them to gain information; for example, I have 20 Regal Prince columnar oaks (a cross between a swamp white oak and an english columnar oak) in my nursery at this time. I have read that maybe only 60% of the offspring of a columnar oak will retain it's close branching structure and other characteristics that make it - I believe - an excellent screening tree (food plots, interior property screens, etc). Since the person I bought the acorns from didn't know how many or what types of other white oaks may have been close to the Regal Prince trees, I was concerned about cross pollination that may have produced offspring without the characteristics I want. I'm happy to say I have 20 great Regal Prince columnar white oaks doing well ... and I thought that worked out better than having 20 trees (from direct seeding) scattered across 4 properties. Attached are photos of the 20 Regal Prince trees; they were planted during the last week in April so they are 3.5 months old ... and still pushing new leaves on the 19th of August.

2016 RP 2.JPG

Here's all 20
2016 20 RP col.JPG

A very interesting approach for starting trees and retaining the tap root. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks,

jack

Not much else to tell ... plant the jug(s) ... plant acorns 2-3 inches in soil (radical down) ... add a little straw on top of jug to act as mulch ... cover with wire cage (see attached photos). When ready to transplant, water heavily to lubricate roots coming out of ground (I dig deep to get as much tap root as possible). Here are photos of SWO, BO, chestnuts and regal prince col. WOs.
Nursery cage 1.JPG
2016 nursery cages 2.JPG
2016 3.5 mo  SWO 2.JPG
2016 3.5 mo BO in 5 X 5.JPG
2016 3.5 mo Chest in line.JPG 2016 3.5 mo chest 2.JPG 2016 3.5 mo RP Col WO.JPG
I apologize for the picture overload ... give me a shout if I can answer any questions

P.S. Here is how I use my starter cages
2016 cages on RP col oaks.JPG

Attachments

• 2016 cages on RP col oaks.JPG
    2016 cages on RP col oaks.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited: