Optimizing effort and survival rate for 1300 feet of willow cuttings

ksJoe

5 year old buck +
I've got a contract to buy around 70 acres of land in south central Kansas, with one side bordering the interstate highway. In a few months I want to use corkscrew willow trees to quickly create a screen to the interstate. Its about a 50 minute drive from home, so I can go there frequently, but not daily.

I have two mature corkscrew willow trees in my back yard, both approaching end of life (one has 1-2 years left, the other 3-4). So I can get as many cuttings as desired. About 18 months ago I had to take out another mature willow because it was dying of old age. At the time I started 3 new corkscrew willows from cuttings. I started them in water for a few weeks, then when they were growing well, I planted them (being careful not to damage the roots). They are doing great, even though I planted them as we came into 100 degree Kansas summer. I buried a 1 gallon jug with each, and ran an irrigation line to each jug, so they have consistent water during the heat. It's unrealistic to take as good of care of 300 trees as I did those 3.

I think I've found the relevant threads on this board for how to start new willows from cuttings. Your method is much simpler than what I imagined. I need to plant about 300 trees over 1300 feet, so anything I can do to simplify the process is appealing. I'm concerned about the success rate. I'd much rather put extra work into it the first time if that means I have a 95% success rate instead of an 80% success rate...

What I was planning:
Use 300 disposable plastic cups as pots, and start the cuttings (1 per cup) in potting soil at home. As they outgrow the cups, plant them at the property. I have a gas post hole digger to quickly dig a hole a foot or so deep so they start in loosened soil. I'd put a square of weed mat down at each tree to keep the weeds away. If we don't get rain, I'd water them once a week for the first few months.

But from reading this site, it sounds like you guys would just poke them in the ground right after cutting and expect most to make it. I expect that would work in the marshy part of the fence line, but that seems too easy for the dryer part of the fence line.

So I guess my questions are: For those of you who've done this the easy way: am I about to waste a lot of time babying these things? Do you think there is any value in starting them at home?

Thanks!

The longer the cutting the better. I planted hybrid willow whips once. 24” whips. I used a 3/4” wood auger on an extension with a dewalt cordless drill and drilled a pilot hole. Didn’t loose 1.

I Would never start them and then dig a hole. Willows are darn near bullet proof. I’d spend more time with ground cover to keep them from being swallowed by weeds and something to protect them from browse.

Not to throw a wrench in the works But do a search here on Miscanthus. Much better screen and faster. It’s worth a look and it should thrive in Kansas. Plus it’s drought tolerant.

There is a place,I believe Big Rock cuttings that had some good info.I need to plant some cuttings in river bank this summer also.I am in SC Kansas and have a bunch of regular willows if you need cuttings.It wouldn't to plant Miscanthus and then a tree such as cedar for a permanent year round screen

thanks for the ideas guys.