All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Midwest Deer trees

I toured his nursery and he has stopped over at my place. I can say that Luke is a dedicated deer hunter and seems like an honest guy in my view. His nursery is surrounded by NWSG, then foodplots, and crab apple trees. Cover beyond that.

There is a wild crab apple just less than a mile from my place that I have watched for decades. He has also watched it and will probably offer it for sale in Dec.

Nope, I won’t tell you the name, yet. It has survived short periods of -40 and is growing in an exposed prairie type environment.

Luke is also growing some seedlings, far more than me. I have some OP Pink Pearl seedlings in my garden that he gave me seeds from and he has some seedlings from something I gave him. I can’t remember which, but this is for experimentation purposes.

He is as nuts about apples for deer as I wise 5-10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has some interesting options? Might be worth a try .

I toured his nursery and he has stopped over at my place. I can say that Luke is a dedicated deer hunter and seems like an honest guy in my view. His nursery is surrounded by NWSG, then foodplots, and crab apple trees. Cover beyond that.

There is a wild crab apple just less than a mile from my place that I have watched for decades. He has also watched it and will probably offer it for sale in Dec.

Nope, I won’t tell you the name, yet. It has survived short periods of -40 and is growing in an exposed prairie type environment.

Luke is also growing some seedlings, far more than me. I have some OP Pink Pearl seedlings in my garden that he gave me seeds from and he has some seedlings from something I gave him. I can’t remember which, but this is for experimentation purposes.

He is as nuts about apples for deer as I wise 5-10 years ago.

Thanks Sandbur . Most of my tree plot consists of trees from Whitetail Crabs , Blue Hill , Chestnut Hill outdoors and pears from Lowes and a couple Crabs from Tractor Supply . Since you speak highly if I have room I may try some trees from Midwest Deer trees in 2024. I have 13 trees already ordered for spring of 2023 from other places , that's enough for me to handle and care for in one year.

I bought from him last year. I was super excited to find someone using dolgo rootstock. I bought 1 yellow belly crab, 1 holy crab, and 1 county road crab. I was pleased.

Thanks Sandbur . Most of my tree plot consists of trees from Whitetail Crabs , Blue Hill , Chestnut Hill outdoors and pears from Lowes and a couple Crabs from Tractor Supply . Since you speak highly if I have room I may try some trees from Midwest Deer trees in 2024. I have 13 trees already ordered for spring of 2023 from other places , that's enough for me to handle and care for in one year.

I have some trees in the ground from Midwest Deer Trees. All are young and haven’t fruited yet. I am also closer to the zone 3 line than he is.

I bought from him last year. I was super excited to find someone using dolgo rootstock. I bought 1 yellow belly crab, 1 holy crab, and 1 county road crab. I was pleased.
Do you recall how much shipping was for 3 trees ?.

Shipping was $15. That was from Minnesota to Pennsylvania. It was a steal.

I bought some from him last year, he’s local to me so I just picked em up. You can tell he’s fired up about deer trees for sure and seems like a good guy. Don’t expect big trees, the ones I got were whips, but they seemed to take at least as well as the bigger trees I got from Wallace last year.

Nothing wrong with planting whips. In 5 years you won’t be able to tell any difference what size they were planted at.

I'm interested in the yellow belly crab, holy crab, and county road crab....if I can make room in time lol. Probably have to wait until 2024

Hi all!
I am slowly updating my website and should be up and ready for ordering for bareroot trees on Dec. 15th. I do have all varieties on there. Midwestdeertrees.com , Pick up and shipping will start in April 2023. Reach out to me via email or call. I pop on here every now and then. Take care, Luke

Hi all!
I am slowly updating my website and should be up and ready for ordering for bareroot trees on Dec. 15th. I do have all varieties on there. Midwestdeertrees.com , Pick up and shipping will start in April 2023. Reach out to me via email or call. I pop on here every now and then. Take care, Luke
Very excited! Can’t wait! Love that you have the option of dolgo rootstock too!

Why you got to do this to us.............

Already ordered from 2 places. terday. Wild azz crabapple looks very interesting. I ordered chestnut and freedom scions, and planted enteprise and liberty. Loks like he has alot of nice trees.

Why you got to do this to us.............

Already ordered from 2 places. terday. Wild azz crabapple looks very interesting. I ordered chestnut and freedom scions, and planted enteprise and liberty. Loks like he has alot of nice trees.

I have driven by Wild Azz for decades. The mother tree is about 3/4 mile from my house. It has survived -40 or colder.

I have driven by Wild Azz for decades. The mother tree is about 3/4 mile from my house. It has survived -40 or colder.

Have you grafted any from it?

I’m in Avon frequently for work, tempted to try to take a peak at the mother tree of the spunk lake one.

Have you grafted any from it?

I’m in Avon frequently for work, tempted to try to take a peak at the mother tree of the spunk lake one.

I never have, but considered it several times.

I think County Road Crab may be susceptible to CAR. I bench grafted thirty-some varieties of apple trees this past March and then potted them. Some of those varieties are known to be susceptible to CAR. I was looking at all of them yesterday and took a photo of the tree with the worse case of CAR. The member I received the scion from had it marked as County Road Crab. That member has been reliable over the years for correctly marking scions that I have received from him, but mistakes can happen whenever us humans are involved.

Attachments

• County Road Crab.png
    County Road Crab.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 34
I think County Road Crab may be susceptible to CAR. I bench grafted thirty-some varieties of apple trees this past March and then potted them. Some of those varieties are known to be susceptible to CAR. I was looking at all of them yesterday and took a photo of the tree with the worse case of CAR. The member I received the scion from had it marked as County Road Crab. That member has been reliable over the years for correctly marking scions that I have received from him, but mistakes can happen whenever us humans are involved.
The leaves should be reddish in color and red stemmed but I did have some in green / touch of red blush two years ago because of a drought. The parent tree as I have observed is surrounded by red cedars. No observation of CAR in 4 years of observation and on my property loaded with red cedars. I could be wrong. IMG_7271.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7272.jpeg
    IMG_7272.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7594.jpeg
    IMG_7594.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 21
I don't see any growths on the under sides of the leaves in PoorSand's picture, maybe my eyes are just missing them.
Like this
2-pyridia-lg.jpg
I'd guess it's frogeye spot.
image2_1.jpeg