Midwest Crab apples

*Hawaii5joe*

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have these? What wildlife use them? Turkeys, grouse, other birds, deer? I think the little apples stay on all season and never drop? Thanks

Joe-I need to check my old paperwork, but I bought 25 flowering crabs from my SWCD over 25 years ago. I think they were Manchurian bacatta . Are these the same thing?

I have had grouse, robins, and cedar wax wings in flowering crabs. The trees that I see at the edge of my yard are not the SWCD planting, but are red splendor and some other unknown variety.
Any crab apple is good, but if I were planting again, I would lean towards varieties with at least a 1/2 -3/4 inch apple. Not so good for birds, I know.

I planted Midwest, Zumi, and Siberian seedlings from Coldstream in 09/10. The trees have grown very well, and I figured these would give me a decent variety of crabs for both deer and turkey. In reality, as they are starting to produce, the overwhelming majority are tiny (pea-sized) fruit that never drops. The only larger ones have come off Siberian. Because of this, I have started to graft all of mine over to varieties with known good attributes and drop times. It has given me the opportunity to propagate some local gems I have found as well. Many of these trees should have fruit in the next couple years so I didn't lose too much time. The trees were less than a buck due to the volume I bought at the time. The only concern is possible grafting compatibility although things look fine now. If I were to do it over again, I would plant Dolgo or Ant. instead. Here is a pic of "Midwest." BTW, the apple pictured in my topworking thread below is a Midwest as well.

I planted Midwest, Zumi, and Siberian seedlings from Coldstream in 09/10. The trees have grown very well, and I figured these would give me a decent variety of crabs for both deer and turkey. In reality, as they are starting to produce, the overwhelming majority are tiny (pea-sized) fruit that never drops. The only larger ones have come off Siberian. Because of this, I have started to graft all of mine over to varieties with known good attributes and drop times. It has given me the opportunity to propagate some local gems I have found as well. Many of these trees should have fruit in the next couple years so I didn't lose too much time. The trees were less than a buck due to the volume I bought at the time. The only concern is possible grafting compatibility although things look fine now. If I were to do it over again, I would plant Dolgo or Ant. instead. Here is a pic of "Midwest." BTW, the apple pictured in my topworking thread below is a Midwest as well.

I have began topworking some flowering crabs this spring and plant to do more next spring.

Dolgo seedlings can be fairly cheap. Better choice than Midwest in my book.

^^^Yes, if you are planting for deer and turkey. With Dolgo, you have a pretty good tree even if you never get around to topworking. There is probably a lower chance of incompatibility as well, although I'm not sure this has been adequately elucidated.

^^^Yes, if you are planting for deer and turkey. With Dolgo, you have a pretty good tree even if you never get around to topworking. There is probably a lower chance of incompatibility as well, although I'm not sure this has been adequately elucidated.
Do you see turkeys working the crab apples?

They are always screwing up my corn foodplot and woods hunts, but I have not seen them in the crab apples.

I have a Profusion crab in my home yard and every late February a flock of Cedar Waxwings moves in and cleans the tree of all remaining fruit in 1 day. ( migrating thru ?? ). Robins, cardinals, and house finches hit the tree in the fall too. 1/2" bright red crabapples.

At camp we have some unknown crabs that have fruit that look like your pic. Pea-sized dark red fruit that hangs most of the winter. Birds of all kinds eat them and turkeys eat the dropped ones.

I've got about 60 of these things. I did A couple things wrong 5 years ago for my second habitat project ever.

1) I planted the Midwest when I wanted something deer would desire and could actually fill up on. I wouldn't think a Midwest crab something a deer would like other then to maybe browse what they can get in the fall or winter. Actually got some bad advice on selecting these.
2) I planted too many of them and all in the same spot filling up about a 1/2 acre. There's plums there too. I like to keep it looking nice so I mow around them, but it's getting to be too much even with a zero turn for this weekend warrior. My Dad and I thought it looked like a good spot so that's where they went. A lot has and is changing up there now.

So here is my plan... Please correct me if you see me going down the wrong path again. I have and will continue to move my trees like to the edges and then attempt to graft to better trees. Maybe leave some Midwest for turkey's, but I would like some Dolgos etc.

Joe-I need to check my old paperwork, but I bought 25 flowering crabs from my SWCD over 25 years ago. I think they were Manchurian bacatta . Are these the same thing?

I have had grouse, robins, and cedar wax wings in flowering crabs. The trees that I see at the edge of my yard are not the SWCD planting, but are red splendor and some other unknown variety.
Any crab apple is good, but if I were planting again, I would lean towards varieties with at least a 1/2 -3/4 inch apple. Not so good for birds, I know.
I think that is the official name Art.

image.jpg Here is 12 of them I moved in the spring. Only one died from the move. Would it be okay to move the rest late fall and then graph late winter early spring. Or is that too much stress on them?? Sorry for the extreme lack of fruit tree knowledge.

The trees are around 3/8 to 1/2 ". It's not too late is it?

Joe-I can't answer your grafting question, but I suspect that is a lot of stress.

Those trees look nice and there is nothing wrong with a plum/crab apple thicket. Graft the outer trees of the thicket and move a few of the others as you get time.

Joe-I have chestnut crab, red baron, and some late dropping crabs for scion. We know they are hardy in this area.

I wouldnt fall transplant in your zone. I have some Midwest crab that I bought from our local NRD, they are strong growers, I grafted most of them over and they have all been successful.

Yep, its wayyyy too late :p

Never too late dude...as long as you know how to cleft and/or bark/rind graft​
Considering I went 2 for 12 on our grafting workshop I may need some practice or hire someone.

Considering I went 2 for 12 on our grafting workshop I may need some practice or hire someone.
Having Stu coaching me and Dan's notes made a big difference. Thanks to both of them.

Way too much work to move them. Topwork them next spring. Take a look at my thread "topworking--what's next" that is a couple threads down right now. I linked an article from some Cornell researchers. Read it and read it again. Watch all the videos on YT about topworking, bark grafting, rind grafting, cleft grafting, etc. Ask us what supplies you need. For less than the cost of 1 grafted tree, you can make each and every one of those trees whatever variety you want and you will develop a very valuable skill. Furthermore, if you know of any apple trees on your land or elsewhere that you'd like to preserve and/or propogate, you can do just that. My neighbor, who is also a good friend, has a wild apple that is his favorite "eater" on his property. A couple of years ago it got taken down by a larger tree and now sits horizontal about 2 feet off the ground. It is also in an area that causes too much disturbance to his hunting to harvest apples. He figured he had eaten the last apple off that tree. He and I now both have clones of this tree in our yards thanks to learning this skill.

Joe, I'm sure we could work out a time for some follow up grafting lessons ;) I think a couple of us are going to try to get together this spring to do some grafting again
I will be there

I planted 30 Midwest crabs last year. I planted them to form a hedge row. Their natural form is suppose to be a multi stem shrub. I planted them in 2' tubes and took them off this summer. Some have started to send up multiple stems. I wanted to make a solid edge and figured they would also help in pollination. As a stand alone tree they don't offer much. I would take those tubes off next spring and let them fill out into shrubs. That is if you don't mind a hedge row in that spot.

Has anyone found a source for dolgo seedlings. I want to do a thicket with them but can't find them any where.

Joe, I'm sure we could work out a time for some follow up grafting lessons ;) I think a couple of us are going to try to get together this spring to do some grafting again
I would like a few more rootstock and was thinking we should get together. Morrison SWCD lists for purchase should be out soon. I see they had 4 or 5 different flowering crabs/dolgo listed on their website. Usually you need bundles of 25. Not sure if legal to split them between friends????

I planted 30 Midwest crabs last year. I planted them to form a hedge row. Their natural form is suppose to be a multi stem shrub. I planted them in 2' tubes and took them off this summer. Some have started to send up multiple stems. I wanted to make a solid edge and figured they would also help in pollination. As a stand alone tree they don't offer much. I would take those tubes off next spring and let them fill out into shrubs. That is if you don't mind a hedge row in that spot.

Has anyone found a source for dolgo seedlings. I want to do a thicket with them but can't find them any where.
check your PM's.