MD DNR Seedlings

I don't know how their pricing/shipping compares to others, but I thought I would pass it along.

http://nursery.dnr.maryland.gov/category-s/1821.htm
I have bought from a few of the state dept of forestry. I have also researched many of the other states but have not purchased.

MD sells seedlings for $1.00 and 25 each minimum. They are probably the most affordable. And thus far they had the best root systems of the three I have used.

I would not have a any reservation to buy from them again

I have bought from a few of the state dept of forestry. I have also researched many of the other states but have not purchased.

MD sells seedlings for $1.00 and 25 each minimum. They are probably the most affordable. And thus far they had the best root systems of the three I have used.

I would not have a any reservation to buy from them again
Its $20 for 25 trees from ours in the spring. I am buying a bunch of buttonbush this spring.

Awesome. I'll be ordering from them for sure.

You have to know what the seedlings are like too. I've ordered from Missouri MDC, PA's PGC, local NY county Soil & Water, NYS DEC, and NH State nursery. For me, PA's PGC seedlings are the cheapest but also quite small and they are struggling to stay funded and open. I find the MDC stock to be excellent and priced pretty well but takes a lot longer to dig each hole to plant. But I mostly order based on who has what I want and will ship to me rather than pricing. NH has red spruce that I want to plant sometime and some occasionally some unique natives. MDC has a nice list including paw paw, persimmon, and the shellbark hickory that I want to plant next spring.

Kansas forest service is taking orders for march shipping. The prices are up to $25 for $25 and they have new trees like sawtooths available.

I've ordered from numerous state nurseries over the years. As chickenlittle said all dependent on what I was looking to plant. Last year I was late ordering and was looking for Norways. I ended up ordering from the Iowa State Nursery.....1st time ever. I ordered Norways and Wild Plum. BEST trees I ever received from any state nursery....both size and quality. They usually offer (if in stock) 2 sizes of bare root and have a good selection of both conifers and hardwoods. Just be prepared if you opt for the larger stock the roots are too big to dibble so you'll spend time sinking them. I ordered again from them this year but they were out of the larger size Norways so I settled for the smaller ones.....still a pretty decent size 12"-20".

^^^^^^^
Thanks for the Iowa State Nursery referral

Found a species or two that were sold out at MDC,etc

bill

Another option in Minnesota is your County soil and conservation department.

ive googled:
ANOKA county soil conservation
CASS county Soil Conservation District
crow wing county soil

they had seedling tree sales with bundles ranging of 5 , 10, 25
usually around under $2 a seedling.

Thanks Ksgobbler, I just ordered 25 sawtooth oaks for a grand total of 17.50 delivered. These will be replacements for the 15 I ordered from Native Nursery who sends theirs our fully leafed and don't like the 8 days of below freezing temps we've had since I put them in the ground. They tell me they'll come back but I'm hedging my bet.

No problem guys. I ordered 25 more plums. I wouldve cleaned out buttonbush if they had it but it was already gone.

No problem guys. I ordered 25 more plums. I wouldve cleaned out buttonbush if they had it but it was already gone.

I had no intention of planting this year, but I picked up some plum and fragrant sumac. I'm not real familiar with fragrant sumac, but I'm hoping to cut some cedar trees and plant them in that area to promote some deer bedding. It seems like both would be good for that. We'll see. Hopefully neither need protection from browsing. It's cheap enough I suppose that if I lose them, I'm not going to worry too much.