Maybe same deer...

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
Found a yr apart. Same deer? I'm always interested in jumps from yr to yr. If they are the same deer it's obviously bigger than last yr, but not a lot bigger.
Thoughts?
Screenshot_20240124_195428_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240124_195416_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240124_195419_Gallery.jpg

Not sure you could ever say definitively, but looks similar enough that it could be.

And a pic of him on the hoof.

You guys who are good are guessing ages... what says ya? If he was 2.5 last year I'd say he was somewhat impressive. But, somewhat unimpressive this yr as a 3.5. If he's older than very unimpressive.
Screenshot_20240124_200753_Gallery.jpg

Kind of a tough picture to guess age by. If I was going strictly off what I could see I would say 3 1/2 this year, only do the fact that his neck appears to tie into the brisket fairly well.

Can't say for certain, but it's possible for sure. I'm with TC.

What about that big flyer shed you found last yr? Anything going with him?

Can't say for certain, but it's possible for sure. I'm with TC.

What about that big flyer shed you found last yr? Anything going with him?
Not sure. I had/have several nice bucks with fliers running around. He may still be around but I don't have him pegged this yr.

And the kickers will be different next year.

Changed my post from last night. I grabbed bunch of pics and didn't even realize some of them were the same deer from the same year. Should have paid attention but was in a hurry. But Bill is right that kickers can change from yr to yr and sometimes it's hard to know a buck, especially if they aren't a summer homebody.

Last edited:
First, third, ninth are the same deer. To many at once. But that's my guess.

Found a yr apart. Same deer? I'm always interested in jumps from yr to yr. If they are the same deer it's obviously bigger than last yr, but not a lot bigger.
Thoughts?
View attachment 61914View attachment 61915View attachment 61916

Let’s see those pedicles side by side in the same pic. From this angle it looks like his pedicle either stayed the same size or even got a touch smaller. I have never seen one do that. Usually they get noticeably bigger. I am leaning different bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s see those pedicles side by side in the same pic. From this angle it looks like his pedicle either stayed the same size or even got a touch smaller. I have never seen one do that. Usually they get noticeably bigger. I am leaning different bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point. I'll take a pic of the pedicles (if I remember) tonight. Surprised that wasn't the first thing I looked at. Guess I got distracted by the kicker off the brow.

Finally took a pic of both pedicles together. I'd say probably different bucks.
20240202_113010.jpg

Finally took a pic of both pedicles together. I'd say probably different bucks.
View attachment 62155

If those are different years I don't think you can say they are different bucks. Hormonal changes from year to year can be dramatic, so I wouldn't expect the osteoclasts to behave the same from year to year.

Is there a DNA service for deer? It's pretty cheap for humans. If no one is doing it yet, maybe we can patent the idea. We'll start with these two antlers here and run them through gel electrophoresis at the local university.

I don't know but the pedicles look the similar to me. The gap at the 12:00 is the same, but then again I've never compared pedicles. I would think they could have dramatic changes year to year.

I don't know but the pedicles look the similar to me. The gap at the 12:00 is the same, but then again I've never compared pedicles. I would think they could have dramatic changes year to year.
I would agree. 1st instant reaction when the pic loaded was twinsies. Obviously not exactly but that was 1st reaction. I've also seen burs and pedicles not grow from yr to yr.