May NOT want to go to Mall of America

Steve Bartylla

5 year old buck +
Just saw the director of Home Land Security on Meet the Press. Apparently, they have reason to believe that there is one or multiple sleeper cells in the Twin Cities area and that Mall of America is a likely target. He wouldn't come out and say people shouldn't go there, but did say that they should be careful. If it's my loved ones, no way they're going there anytime soon (I've always wanted to stick spikes through my temples every time I've been inside the place, just to bring a swifter end to the experience, but wife and a couple of the kids really like the place).

Since many of you are from MN, just thought I'd share. I suspect it will make the local news after what was said on Meet the Press, but, with the way news is today, it may also get bumped for more serious stories, like Ted Cruz reading children's books again, Obama secretly plotting the destruction of America, how the front runners are on the GOP side for an election 2 years from now or however Hillary crams a foot in her mouth next...You know, the real important stuff.

I was there 2 weeks ago for the first time in a couple years. Had some friends from overseas visiting, glad they did not want to stay long. Walked a loop and then had a couple margaritas at a Mexican restaurant and got out of there. I think that is the same thing we did 2+ years ago the last time we were there.

One more reason I love Amazon. I also discovered Amazon Prime Music yesterday. What a life saver that is on long trips.

Mall of America I'm glad the wife thinks it sucks also. Been there to say we have been and will NEVER go back.

I have never been - it's a little out of my way......

I have Runnings nearby. I am fine. :)

An enclosed place with LOADS of people packed in together, colds, flu, intestinal bugs, puke viruses, measles, short tempers, pushy folks, bad attitudes................ and you guys want to go out in the sticks and plant apples and rye and clover & stuff ???? Come on - you don't know what you're MISSING !!! o_O

Personally I don't like crowded places and lots of walking.....nor shopping. HOWEVER, if we succumb to these threats.....then the scumbags win. Don't let these clowns scare you or back you into a corner. These bustards need to be shown that we will not be intimidated. Whats next? our sporting events, state fair, or concerts????

I hate that place. Having said that, I feel the need to stop by and do some shopping. The Mall has been a target since 9/11. Just because the terrorist Dbags finally said it, NOW I should be afraid to go there? Honestly, you have a better chance of getting jumped by a band of delinquent American teens there than being beheaded by ISIS.

Nobody is doing a better job of turning Muslims against ISIS than ISIS themselves. The Somali's in MN are for the most part hard working, family oriented people. No different than the Hmong, who nobody complains about anymore. Like all immigrants, they need a generation or two to assimilate, just like the Italians and the Irish, which accounts for the majority of my genetics...

I fly through Minneapolis at least 3 times a month and I am more concerned with potential terrorist activities at the Airport with the large Somali population in the area. Mall of America not a spot our family frequents anyways. I won't change any of my patterns because of terrorist threats. However it is inevitable there will be terrorist activity back in the USA. Our Gov't needs to start acting with some urgency because they are gaining strength abroad and that is not good for the world

I would go there everyday packing heat waiting for my time to shine.....just kidding...but not really. Al-shabaab is an al-queda affiliated group out of Somalia....as noted the twin cities have a sizeable Somalia population. There has been connections to al shabaab from the twin cities area. It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility. Al shabaab hasn't been previously known to operate outside of the Horn of Africa but with connections to the local community that could change. Be prepared.

Any of you guys know if you can conceal carry in the mall? Not sure if businesses in Minnesota can post to exclude conceal carry like they do in Wisconsin.

We have a huge mall here. They are actually trying to become Mall of America. It is ten minutes from my house and I have not been there in years, hopefully it will be many more before I go back. I hate malls.

We have a huge mall here. They are actually trying to become Mall of America. It is ten minutes from my house and I have not been there in years, hopefully it will be many more before I go back. I hate malls.
Carousel? God that place was a pit of despair...as well as the kiss of death for downtown.

Carousel? God that place was a pit of despair...as well as the kiss of death for downtown.
Did you go when you were up for the duke game. It is no longer Carousel. It's new name is destiny. They have put hundreds of millions into it the last ten years. I think it is now the second biggest mall in the country. A lot of the expansion was restaurants and various entertainment things like go carts, rock walls, and rope coarses. I think they even have a roller coaster. I guess it is real nice but I have not been there since the expansion.

Any of you guys know if you can conceal carry in the mall? Not sure if businesses in Minnesota can post to exclude conceal carry like they do in Wisconsin.
You can't carry there if I remember right. I carried both times I've been there cause I can't read signs worth a sh!t.

Did you go when you were up for the duke game. It is no longer Carousel. It's new name is destiny. They have put hundreds of millions into it the last ten years. I think it is now the second biggest mall in the country. A lot of the expansion was restaurants and various entertainment things like go carts, rock walls, and rope coarses. I think they even have a roller coaster. I guess it is real nice but I have not been there since the expansion.
Didn't go out there when we went to the duke game. That whole Destiny rebranding thing was starting when I was in my senior year. Did the city/state end up taking a lump sum payment in lieu of taxes for the expansion (Payment In Lieu Of Taxes or PILOT)?

Didn't go out there when we went to the duke game. That whole Destiny rebranding thing was starting when I was in my senior year. Did the city/state end up taking a lump sum payment in lieu of taxes for the expansion (Payment In Lieu Of Taxes or PILOT)?
It's been a while but I don't think so. I know that was a major hang up for approval but I think they held on for taxes. If I remember right it is going to be revisited again, or they put the final phase on hold until they get it. Not sure.