Made it to the farm today

Bill, the year after we were decimated by ehd I had a lot of beans left and so I disked them in May and it turned out to be another good stand of beans for the new year.

Bill, the year after we were decimated by ehd I had a lot of beans left and so I disked them in May and it turned out to be another good stand of beans for the new year.

I may try that.

What variety are they as almost every other bean has shattered by now

What variety are they as almost every other bean has shattered by now
Enlist E3
Just what the local seed guy had in liberty ready.
3199D9AD-A80F-423C-ABDE-9115E9022003.jpegD3800A86-191F-481D-B339-8A0CF1DA783C.jpegE5803C8A-43F7-4707-80F7-69A8E597FBC3.jpeg

I think the whole shattering thing is overblown. I've only had it happen once, and have many beans overwinter.

I am wondering if it's more temp and moisture.It's not uncommon for them to shatter if not cut close to when they are dry,you might have a few weeks,maybe more if it stays wet out.

Lots of beans left so no one went hungry this winter.

View attachment 50626View attachment 50627

There are highways into them

View attachment 50628View attachment 50629

Single row of miscanthus still doing its job.

View attachment 50630

Here is a double row

View attachment 50631
That is a lot of beans left over, would you say they ate half the beans in that plot?

With the MG screen, how long ago was it planted?

That is a lot of beans left over, would you say they ate half the beans in that plot?

With the MG screen, how long ago was it planted?

Probably half. The hidden spots got hit much harder.

That MG was planted in 2015 so 7 growing seasons. Man time flies.

Not many pics to post. Been planting beans and spraying.

I walked by 3 miscanthus clumps that were by themselves and hadn’t been mowed in years. Lots of trash.

I lit them up. I’m here to tell you…. “Now That’s A Fire”.
Flames were 30 feet in the air at one point and it burned intensely.

It’s either going to be good for them or terrible, time will tell.

F5EF465F-9830-4F28-9AA8-6C78BCA7E96C.jpeg

They'll be fine. But when I did it the next year the one row was not thick enough for a decent screening without the old canes. This was a 3 foot wide row. And you're right about hot. I'll knock it down next time before burning if I ever do it again.

They'll be fine. But when I did it the next year the one row was not thick enough for a decent screening without the old canes. This was a 3 foot wide row. And you're right about hot. I'll knock it down next time before burning if I ever do it again.

I thought the same thing. Knock it down first next time. But that sucker was hot. The green grass for about 8 foot around it is dead today just from heat.

Yes sir about the grass. It came back. I also have started cutting the old cane into 12" pieces to use as fire starter in my wood stove.

Friend of mine bought a 40 down the road. It had an over grown field of about 6 acres on it.
Wasn’t smart enough to get good before pics. But in a day and half we brush hogged it, cut the big trees with the chainsaws, moved a blind, planted beans and sprayed. It’s in a great hidey hole spot.

45DDCB8C-8F76-428B-A2B9-58EE9091CFAE.jpeg8814CF64-40ED-4477-B9C4-7C180C0AF9DC.jpeg302735B2-F0F9-4FFD-8C72-F93DD361FF21.jpegAE323768-7A60-479A-9355-4E27F5BE2417.jpegC515282E-BF97-47B0-A44F-7ABFFE30B336.jpeg2B1D6D33-C212-40D9-9411-10225398E090.jpeg

View from the stand once finished.

C6EEFB32-6BD8-4A3C-97B9-0BE344BA864A.jpeg

Looking good! Get a lot of work done in short order with all the right tools for the job!

Crazy the difference in personalities in deer from region to region. The nicer bucks by me would not have anything to do with wide open spaces like that. Maybe in August they would use it but around the time they shed velvet, it sure changes. Late season possibly but my deer have migrated early to mid December the last few years due to snow depth exceeding 16” or so.

You guys mainly try and catch them skirting the edges scent checking or is it pretty common to have the nicer bucks out in the open feeding during season?

Same as Fair Oak here in Central NY, a field that big would have lots of glowing eyes after dark but have only a few doe trickling in before last light. The rut would be the only exception.

I think MG was first pitched to sell as a green bio-fuel if memory serves, I bet that fire was HOT!

You guys kicked some serious butt on that land, Bill. Lots of good work. Deer ought to like it.

Looking good! Get a lot of work done in short order with all the right tools for the job!

Crazy the difference in personalities in deer from region to region. The nicer bucks by me would not have anything to do with wide open spaces like that. Maybe in August they would use it but around the time they shed velvet, it sure changes. Late season possibly but my deer have migrated early to mid December the last few years due to snow depth exceeding 16” or so.

You guys mainly try and catch them skirting the edges scent checking or is it pretty common to have the nicer bucks out in the open feeding during season?
Same as Fair Oak here in Central NY, a field that big would have lots of glowing eyes after dark but have only a few doe trickling in before last light. The rut would be the only exception.

I think MG was first pitched to sell as a green bio-fuel if memory serves, I bet that fire was HOT!

I think the field looks bigger in the pics than it is. I’d say about 4 or so acres open. It’s over 1 mile to any paved roads and is in a secluded spot. Deer will be in it all day. We put up an exclusion cage because I think it’s going to get hammered.

Our bucks will play in a field like during the day until mid to end of September. But by mid October they will scoot across it looking both ways for the ladies. All so long is there isn’t to much pressure put on it.

The fire really stimulated the growth on the miscanthus. Eliminated the center die off on older plants.

E89AB65D-00B0-4932-AFD4-6AA5BBFA4306.jpeg

Something went wrong with my spraying after planting beans. Year old Liberty that froze in the barn maybe. The rye lived.

C493D22A-7E66-4574-8A92-FF7A80C3D565.jpeg
4D83933A-EE65-46C8-84C1-77D1FF55B5B2.jpeg

I felt very stupid mowing the rye high so I can spray but I had to. Otherwise my sprayer booms would be riding on the rye.

Attachments

• 53850C35-0DE4-496A-AFB1-2EE20AF7C4A4.jpeg
    53850C35-0DE4-496A-AFB1-2EE20AF7C4A4.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 15