Made it to the farm today

What brand ladderstand?
It's a very old and big, Big Game treestand. I think they called it the executive. Pic doesn't do it justice, it's two stands put together, about 30 foot tall. My favorite stand and it's produced well.

It's a very old and big, Big Game treestand. I think they called it the executive. Pic doesn't do it justice, it's two stands put together, about 30 foot tall. My favorite stand and it's produced well.

I just put one of those up this weekend. Well built with double rail. How in the heck do you support 30' tall stand to the tree?

I just put one of those up this weekend. Well built with double rail. How in the heck do you support 30' tall stand to the tree?
There is a 8 inch diameter limb above the half way point. One side of the ladder is ratchet strapped at that point. The brace to the tree is below that. It's really sturdy. Those old double rails are pretty stout. Works out good. Where I took the pic from is up hill so a low stand would have you at eye level with deer.

Took my sons deer head from last season out of the freezer.

The boil with dawn

IMG_2469.jpeg

The boil with peroxide after pressure washing.
IMG_2476.jpeg

Still needs to dry out some to be the final white. But finished.

IMG_2479.jpeg

IMG_6065.jpeg

Looks great! Nice job.

I like the thought of using a shallower pot. I use a deeper turkey frying pot. I think that causes more splash and heat stains on the antlers. I boil all of my skulls and occasionally you can see stains from either oil or moisture getting into the antler.

3e31a5c6-e6b8-45cc-a56d-c98deee53ed5-jpeg.53722

I've suspected that the food plot companies recommend mowing clover not to keep it palatable for the deer but to keep it from producing flowers and thus seeds. If you have a zillion natural seeds when a clover field wears out you don't have to kill it and buy more seed. Just kill the field and let it regrow.

I posted the above pic of single brassica plant back in June. It's in my yard, a spilled seed that grew in the spring and I left it. It was my yard plant all summer and got quite big. It never bolted or did any of the nasty stuff they say will happen if you plant to early. Being 10 feet from back door it had a smidge of browse over the summer but remained quite healthy.

I got in very late last night and woke up to this, this morning. I'm thinking I need a spring planting of a brassica field.

IMG_2607.jpeg

Good lord, what kind of brassica is that? Some kind of kale?

Posted in live from the stand thread but wanted it here also.

Brother got a nice one today. My tape says 168" gross

IMG_2666.jpegIMG_2668.jpegIMG_2667.jpeg

Bill, do you guys weigh them?

Bill, do you guys weigh them?
Usually we weigh them before gutting them and after. This one we decided to gut on the way back. We're finding it's so much easier to gut them laying down then on the hook. He was 190 dressed. Don't think I'm going to to gut one the hook again. It looks good but I find it a PITA

Usually we weigh them before gutting them and after. This one we decided to gut on the way back. We're finding it's so much easier to gut them laying down then on the hook. He was 190 dressed. Don't think I'm going to to gut one the hook again. It looks good but I find it a PITA
^ Kinda surprised to hear this. I have found it far easier / cleaner to gut them on the hook.

^ Kinda surprised to hear this. I have found it far easier / cleaner to gut them on the hook.
Seems like every time I cut the diaphragm blood rushes out and blood splashes everywhere.

Seems like every time I cut the diaphragm blood rushes out and splashes everywhere.

I do the same I think it is way easier to manage. I lay mine on the truck bed get lungs heart detachrd then tilt the rear end over while some holds the front.everything slides right out hardly even gat a drop of blood on anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great Buck! Congratulations!

Gotta love N. MO.