Made it to the farm today

The fire really stimulated the growth on the miscanthus. Eliminated the center die off on older plants.

View attachment 53649

Something went wrong with my spraying after planting beans. Year old Liberty that froze in the barn maybe. The rye lived.

View attachment 53651
View attachment 53652

I felt very stupid mowing the rye high so I can spray but I had to. Otherwise my sprayer booms would be riding on the rye.

Man I hope freezing doesn’t do that. I have half a bottle left to put away. Label says to shake it if it has frozen. They give no other guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I hope freezing doesn’t do that. I have half a bottle left to put away. Label says to shake it if it has frozen. They give no other guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know what it was for sure. I filled the sprayer and had to leave it sit overnight because it got really windy. I also forgot to add AMS. I had to get more liberty “like” to have enough to spray and the new stuff was definitely a lighter color. Both were generic. Maybe the Chinese knock off can’t freeze.

I got the best brassica plant I’ve ever had. Unfortunately there is just 1 😂

Must have spilled a seed into the old burnt stump in my yard last fall.
Believe it or not, it’s been browsed. Winfred Brassica.

3E31A5C6-E6B8-45CC-A56D-C98DEEE53ED5.jpeg

Last edited:
I got the best brassica plant I’ve ever had. Unfortunately there is just 1 😂

Must have spilled a seed into the old burnt stump on my yard last fall.
Believe it or not, it’s been browsed. Winfred Brassica.
The best brassicas I've ever grown have all been randoms that pop up somewhere i hadn't intended.

There are beans in there. We just need rain. I mixed things a bit hot because it’s drought like and plants in drought don’t take herbicide well. And last spray didn’t seem to do much.

Oppenheimer The movie opens soon. Maybe I should get a ticket….

E3EED736-CD50-4D84-B791-BBDC0E008368.jpeg

There are beans in there. We just need rain. I mixed things a bit hot because it’s drought like and plants in drought don’t take herbicide well. And last spray didn’t seem to do much.

Oppenheimer The movie opens soon. Maybe I should get a ticket….

View attachment 54026
Wow, thought that was a painting at first

I think the pressure regulator on my sprayer went out. Used to run at 35 PSI and put out 16 Gallons per acre. She's running about 70 PSI now and dumping double. I definitely killed the heck out of 3 acres of weeds in my beans before figuring it out. Don't have time to fix it this trip. I just adjusted the gallons per acre to the new rate. Kinda reminds me of the mosquito trucks when I was a kid 😆

BA943635-255A-439E-9A2C-D3F56B76E0B4.jpeg

There are beans under this ragweed field. It's 1/4 acre next to a larger plot. Ran out of spray on my last trip and let it go.

Could have sprayed yesterday but decided to leave it go for the quail. There were no quail here when I bought the place. I kicked up a covey of over 30 today. Guess that's what happens when you let a clean looking hay farm go to hell 😁

2F9F2DB2-6AD2-459A-9BC5-E16353466A64.jpeg4FDEFF15-1312-4F68-BEE8-3273CFB0EB61.jpeg

The hidey hole plot we put on my friends place turned out just as I thought. The deer hammered it. 4 acres of 6 inch beans except for in the cage. I sprayed the foxtail. Going to broadcast some brassicas into it tomorrow. Then fall back to rye in mid sept when the brassicas don't make it.

E2BAF11C-CBDF-4F9E-97E6-AB34162A1717.jpeg

I think the pressure regulator on my sprayer went out. Used to run at 35 PSI and put out 16 Gallons per acre. She's running about 70 PSI now and dumping double. I definitely killed the heck out of 3 acres of weeds in my beans before figuring it out. Don't have time to fix it this trip. I just adjusted the gallons per acre to the new rate. Kinda reminds me of the mosquito trucks when I was a kid 😆

View attachment 55833

That's a big sprayer!

Could have sprayed yesterday but decided to leave it go for the quail. There were no quail here when I bought the place. I kicked up a covey of over 30 today. Guess that's what happens when you let a clean looking hay farm go to hell 😁

Love this quote. That is an impressive ragweed crop!

That's a big sprayer!

And I cut 4 foot off each side. Have to unfold them manually and they were heavy!
Best $1500 I ever spent when I bought this thing. Over the years I've rebuilt about everything on it except the pressure regulator. Once that's done everything is new except the hoses.

Flight got screwed up today so I dug into the pressure regulator on the sprayer. It was stuck wide open and it was what's always wrong with electric crap. Bad ground.....

There are beans under this ragweed field. It's 1/4 acre next to a larger plot. Ran out of spray on my last trip and let it go.

View attachment 55881View attachment 55882

The hidey hole plot we put on my friends place turned out just as I thought. The deer hammered it. 4 acres of 6 inch beans except for in the cage. I sprayed the foxtail. Going to broadcast some brassicas into it tomorrow. Then fall back to rye in mid sept when the brassicas don't make it.

Ragweed for me got out of control several times and spread. Lots of OM but stalks like corn.

Ragweed pops up here any time the ground is disturbed. It kills easy enough with spray. I like it because the seeds are a preferred food for quail. I like to be sure there is some around every year either natural or if I leave it.

Ragweed pops up here any time the ground is disturbed. It kills easy enough with spray. I like it because the seeds are a preferred food for quail. I like to be sure there is some around every year either natural or if I leave it.
Deer will eat the hell out of it at times as well. I have seen does walking down the turn rows on a cornfield "sucking" the leaves off of ragweed just about as fast as they can.

The quote I’m partial to is : “Then fall back to rye in mid sept WHENTHE BRASSICAS DONT MAKE IT”

It makes me laugh and reminds me of me!

Ragweed……is it just me or do your guys see lots of browsing on it too? I had some random plants in my brassica plots last year and every one of them got ate.

Deer around here love common ragweed. I’ve never looked close at the giant ragweed to see if they browse it.

Any Packers fans out there? Apparently the little airline I take has to charter the old coaching staff plane when they have issues with their planes.

Ugly plane but nice inside.

8F460232-D688-4BD1-9DEF-018F82F02266.jpg

Snapped pics while I was mowing the outside edge of my old NWSG field. Was planted to big blue, little blue and a hint of Indian grass about 15 years ago. The Indian grass seems to be the dominant one these days.

IMG_2448.jpeg

IMG_2449.jpeg

Going to have to mow the Miscanthus this spring. Several years of old cane left standing is breaking in the wind and making it lean in some places.

IMG_2452.jpeg

IMG_2451.jpeg

Installed a new turd in the punch bowl today.

IMG_2456.jpeg

What brand ladderstand?