Made it to the farm today

You got it done even with the high temps, congratulations. Now the trip to the taxidermist.

Wow! Dandy Buck Bill. Congrats

That is an amazing buck Bill, very cool video of the harvest too bud!

You got it done even with the high temps, congratulations. Now the trip to the taxidermist.

Trying not to sound like a know it all, but there is a key here that sometimes gets overlooked. Wife asked if I was going to hunt this trip. I told her only if the stars align. It has to be hot, need the right wind and need a rain or thunder storm to drop the temp at least 15 degrees. (20 is better)

Sleep in, in September only hunt afternoon. If it’s hot and a deer you want is in his summer pattern and you get a temp break and have the right wind. Go get him. Their just like us, when that cool front comes in they feel better and move early.

Some of my best were taken in September.

9/22/2014
902B0C71-C18F-40EE-91E2-80435B2E8504.jpeg

9/19/2018

509703DF-AE24-4166-B60E-1C2E4302EB45.png

And this one 9/17/2022

The stars don’t align every year but when they do it’s time to be in a stand. No temperature break, no hunting because you’re just screwing up your spot.

Beautiful buck Bill. Good job making it happen.

Didn’t make it to the farm today. Tried but.

First flight was first delayed but we took off. 45 minutes into the flight they say we’re going back there’s a technical issue. Sure…

Just prior to landing they say pay no attention to the fire truck and ambulances lining the runway, standard procedure. Mkay. People were a bit on edge. I figured if the lord wanted me, the gigs up.

ACCB8747-DB13-4F39-9748-E039BC30979E.jpeg
57261EE0-FB6E-4569-A228-4A2D86E09F8E.jpeg
EC10E442-9096-4D8B-BB40-6411B65B8D35.jpeg

They parked us at the end of the runway so some fellows could check things out.
It took a minute for me to figure this dude out. He’s holding an inferred thermometer checking the engine temp or maybe for fire in the hold below.

B29F13E4-90B5-4FF4-9650-DD7996D89F4B.jpeg

Working on a new flight now.

Reminds me of a time I was having lunch at our local commuter airport. the plane was one of those 20-30 passenger jobs. All the passengers came out and got on the plane. Plane starts up and sits there a while then shuts down. All passengers get off the plane and go back inside. A guy in a truck pulls up and gets out with a 3 pound hammer and bangs on a few things underneath and then goes back to the hanger. All the passengers come back out and get on and the plane takes off! Couldn’t believe what I’d seen. LOL. Glad you got down and came out safe.

Yeah - that’s not even a little bit scary. I’d have to go home and call it a day.

My rule of thumb in flying is that if the pilot is not comfortable taking off, neither am I.

I'm fine with the whole "If it's my time to go...." philosophy. However, what if it's the guy behind me that had his number called???

Great buck Bill!!! Sep has been good to you!

My BIL is a professional pilot....he has some stories that will make you think twice. I know he once landed a much smaller twin prop plane in a field due to a fuel gauge issue (everyone walked away), turns out they don't fly real well without fuel. He has also had landing gear collapse on him during taxi for take off and all sorts of weird shit. He hit a deer once with a prop....he said that was "messy". For a long time he flew freight, "Because boxes don't bitch!" He now flies a charter jet all over the place. He will also tell you that ANY landing you walk away from...is a good one.

Lots of beans left so no one went hungry this winter.

77593EB0-DA80-4B81-9A93-829C196424B6.jpeg1C67F9D3-F188-40BE-9490-449273B53E49.jpeg

There are highways into them

F52FB9BA-1F47-403E-A8A2-4657973CFC3F.jpeg43629450-85BD-4221-AB87-E0096DD3C38A.jpeg

Single row of miscanthus still doing its job.

BB6C8B6F-23B2-409F-BCED-93C32E80CA43.jpeg

Here is a double row

5EBF1B0A-550E-4DD8-9DEC-42B7AD0ED388.jpeg

Looking good. You must have more plotters in your neighborhood than I do. Nothing lasts this long into spring at my places. How wet is it? Neighbor kid found half of the big buck we were after today in my CRP. He's hoping to find the other half tomorrow!

Looking good. You must have more plotters in your neighborhood than I do. Nothing lasts this long into spring at my places. How wet is it? Neighbor kid found half of the big buck we were after today in my CRP. He's hoping to find the other half tomorrow!

That and lack of snow on the ground for most of the winter.
It’s wet with more coming tomorrow. I was hoping to do some brush hogging but that’s not happening this trip.

Those beans are crazy impressive for this time of year. Are you considering having the farmer come through with the combine?

Those beans are crazy impressive for this time of year. Are you considering having the farmer come through with the combine?

No I’ll probably just mow them and see how many sprout.

How many acres of beans did you have? Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk