Made it to the farm today

Don’t know if this will work but it’s an experiment. Now I just need rain.

Winfred brassicas, giant rape, PTT, red and white clover.

Drilled into beans and clover. Going to mow the snot out of the clover.

Last year my best brassicas were in the yard where I spilled them into the grass. Figured I’d give this a shot. I just did strips in the beans.

9E95B0C6-4D1E-4B22-96C4-392477D6E20E.jpegC134DE4E-EE8C-4A7B-944A-EAE676827571.jpg

What’s that screen you have growing by the barn?

Will be interesting to see how drilling into mature beans works.

Will be interesting to see how drilling into mature beans works.
First for me.
If I’m not mistaken Grant Wood$ does it with success.
Now I want to go do more. While drilling, the beans popped back up much more then I thought they would. Towards the end I put the front bucket down to try and crimp them like I do rye. They still popped back up pretty well

First for me.

Now I want to go do more. While drilling, the beans popped back up much more then I thought they would. Towards the end I put the front bucket down to try and crimp them like I do rye. They still popped back up pretty well

Were you trying to terminate the beans?

The beans look awful green still. Hopefully you get enough sunlight in there. I did them once like that before and they got real long and spindly and didn't do well.

Beans are 10X the full season food than brassicas for deer in my area,except with drought this year there isn't much and alot of ag beans are getting baled this year

The beans look awful green still. Hopefully you get enough sunlight in there. I did them once like that before and they got real long and spindly and didn't do well.
I’ve got enough left over to do it again in September if this fails. Problem is, it can be 80 degrees for a month or go to 40 and go down from there.

Neighbors cows enjoyed the heck out of 3 acres of my beans. That’s a whole different story. I like steak, but I hate cattle! They offered to leave me 3 acres of beans in a leased field where I don’t hunt. Not the same as 3 acres where I’ve made them use my plot the way I want.

I see brassicas and rye as a follow up here. Good thing I like my neighbors and want to work a deal someday… isn’t deer hunting fun.

CACFF67D-E6C4-4837-A983-12A7668BB069.jpeg4E1D8E39-3B72-44F5-A4A1-E5E08D4B7294.jpeg

If I could grow beans like that Bill...I wouldn't be trying to get brassicas to grow in with them! LOL. The only way I get beans to grow like that is when I E-Fence them.

Small plots unfenced look like this...
IMG_2606.JPG

Small plots with E-Fence...
IMG_2601.jpeg

3.5 acre plot in one of its better years...but it was easy enough to drill a cover crop into them
IMG_5120.JPG

IDK - maybe your neighbors cows sneaked in here when I wasn't looking :)

Mom came on this trip. She actually had a good time. I got my clover mowed without doing anything except a quick lesson on the tractor

99985B52-E8D8-4126-AD1F-A3CBA5EE3D2E.jpeg

We trimmed out stands. I think she especially liked that part. She got to tell me what to do since she was in the stands.

E9585260-47C8-4158-991A-25E8F45C352C.jpeg20862ECF-2F5F-48C9-B06A-273000652013.jpeg

burn photo.jpg

Not the best photo but trying to crop out the confusing clouds! Got in a 10 acre burn today (smoke in the distance) in an area inundated with sweetgum, 7 foot tall blackberry, and some persimmon. First time I've burned in the late summer so I'm really interested to see how much woody kill I get. Tried to burn in the morning with relative humidity over 60 and it was a no go! Slightly after 12 noon the RH dropped into the mid 50's and got an 8mph wind. Worked about perfectly. Was scared to disrupt acreage going into the hunting season, but it actually thinned it nicely while leaving some structure and enough cover for movement.

View attachment 45698

Not the best photo but trying to crop out the confusing clouds! Got in a 10 acre burn today (smoke in the distance) in an area inundated with sweetgum, 7 foot tall blackberry, and some persimmon. First time I've burned in the late summer so I'm really interested to see how much woody kill I get. Tried to burn in the morning with relative humidity over 60 and it was a no go! Slightly after 12 noon the RH dropped into the mid 50's and got an 8mph wind. Worked about perfectly. Was scared to disrupt acreage going into the hunting season, but it actually thinned it nicely while leaving some structure and enough cover for movement.
Update on my burn. I've never done a growing season burn, but wanted to kill the 5-12 foot sweetgums and blackberries. The first pic is the burned vegetation immediately after the fire:

pre burn.jpg

The next pic is 5 days later:

post burn.jpg

The pic has my sweaty fingers on it, but look at the difference. I have cut trees and sprayed them, but I've NEVER seen something die so fast. Limbs crack in 2 easily. Here's to non toxic vegetation control!

Everyone has seen this but I wanted to add to my land tour. Took an early one on September 17.

B7AC5C9D-A662-4C43-87B2-B2EE07D7989E.jpegE7D8DDA9-B391-41D1-9A8F-EA382124E122.jpeg61E8BFC5-ABE5-4580-AABF-91BDFA255342.jpeg

I don’t know why the Tactacam video turned out so bad. Low light? Rain drops on the lens? User error. Probably 🤪

Heck ya! I didnt see your original post but congratulations, thats a great buck.

Everyone has seen this but I wanted to add to my land tour. Took an early one on September 17.

View attachment 46100View attachment 46101View attachment 46102

I don’t know why the Tactacam video turned out so bad. Low light? Rain drops on the lens? User error. Probably 🤪

Congrats Bill! Was this on the new piece you recently acquired or on the original property?

Hellofa buck!

Congrats Bill! Was this on the new piece you recently acquired or on the original property?

Hellofa buck!
Original. Can’t really explain it. But we’ve had stands there for years in different spots. Finally found a spot in 2 acres that works perfectly 80 percent of the time.

Our original set would have had him smell me long before I saw him.

Original. Can’t really explain it. But we’ve had stands there for years in different spots. Finally found a spot in 2 acres that works perfectly 80 percent of the time.

Our original set would have had him smell me long before I saw him.
That sounds like a killer setup and the payoff now makes up for all of the known or unknown blown chances before. Congrats!