Made it to the farm today

Bill

Administrator
Got in late and it's rainy. Didn't do much but took a quick walk before dark.

Disturbed a few locals.
61a3b6f856a4b21047d038569e8652a4.jpg

a399c38f00804b410b5d9ca3be9a4e98.jpg

Looks like I wasted some $, lots of beans left in the big plots.

c27cc0f32372357999c76090b9d4d59f.jpg

4e0861a2f4b0d75129473d1bc1ef0d72.jpg

Small hidden plots were wiped clean.

03950ad85952455f38e92f0909f5a896.jpg

13455c703e9c6b8c0a9ffd5ce73634d8.jpg

No need to look for rub lines. Just plant some poplars in a line and you have one.

f12164924d198c1444127efe8a358c7a.jpg

Found my first Easter egg.
95603449645ea560a1529bd7b2247de4.jpg

Clover is greening up.

8e0a67911e60a71da0605b9db11f955e.jpg

Posted on the MG thread but I have a cool tunnel. Maybe I should build a Haloween maze.

03765df62174a9ebf528553eceecbbbd.jpg

I'm hoping the weather breaks so I can get something done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks pretty good Bill. Nice find on the shed too.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Nice shed. Those beans are loaded at the top. Run the combine thru them!

This is one of those rare years corn and beans usually wiped clean aren't. Winter was really mild for our neck of the woods. I still have standing corn.

Nice shed. Those beans are loaded at the top. Run the combine thru them!

I think I'll mow them. Then I'll come back in a few weeks and hit them with gly to kill the the ones that sprout :emoji_kissing::emoji_relaxed:

But if I had a combine......

This is one of those rare years corn and beans usually wiped clean aren't. Winter was really mild for our neck of the woods. I still have standing corn.

I had that one year and it was a mess. Volunteer corn out the wasoo. It was so bad whole ears were sprouting. I ended up letting the field just go that year. No way to kill it all as some of those kernels will lay there for weeks and weeks before germinating.

I like having "some" food left over - means the critters are well fed. I do however like to see it not so significant. I had lots of corn mowed a week or two ago....but I attribute that to a mild winter. My smaller plots got hammered as well. If anything maybe it gives you a chance to try something new or different in part of that bigger plot. I like your MG tunnel. I'm gonna have to get me some and do something similar at some point - just not now - too many projects as it is. Your deer like to rub poplar huh? I have a fair amount of it and may keep that in mind.

too many projects as it is. Your deer like to rub poplar huh? I have a fair amount of it and may keep that in mind.

The local deer actually know I planted the poplars so they go out of thier way to piss me off and rub them. Even the ones I have in a road screen. They stand 15 feet off the road and rub every last one. :emoji_rage: Every spring I cut them off below the rub so they regrow. Then they do it again. Maybe I should stop trying to protect them from road hunters.

Didn't get over there today but I gaurentee they hammered them. I'll post pics.

Let me know when you wants some MG. plant just one in your yard and in a few years you'll have an endless supply.

looks good bud, toss down some spring oats, mow, let it grow and till it under when it is time for the fall crop

Looks great Bill. Glad you got to get out a take a look around.

Is that one in the first pic still holding antlers?

I'm sure its a great feeling to get out there when you live so far away. Mine is less than 10 miles from my front door and I don't get there enough.

I thought I saw antlers too - or really big ears.

Could MG be started in rootmaker 18s?

bill

No antlers, just a fuzzy picture from my phone zoomed in.

Could MG be started in rootmaker 18s?

bill

Never tried a rhizome early in the basement but I guess it would work. For cuttings it's best to start them in a jar of water.

Looks great Bill. Are those hybrid poplars that you planted?

The farm looks good, Bill. Always good to see deer & turkeys on the property. Do the poplars die back after rubbing ?? ( you mentioned cutting them back below the rub scars. ) We get some spruce trees rubbed after they get to 4 - 7 ft. tall, but other than being ugly for a few years, they keep growing.

Nice shed find !! Is that WR the antler is resting in ?? Clover looks good too.

The local deer actually know I planted the poplars so they go out of thier way to piss me off and rub them. Even the ones I have in a road screen. They stand 15 feet off the road and rub every last one. :emoji_rage: Every spring I cut them off below the rub so they regrow. Then they do it again. Maybe I should stop trying to protect them from road hunters.

Didn't get over there today but I gaurentee they hammered them. I'll post pics.

Let me know when you wants some MG. plant just one in your yard and in a few years you'll have an endless supply.

Cool - thanks for the offer on the MG....I think it will work great for hiding a shooting house of mine and I like the tunnels I have seen as well. If for some reason your propagating some rhizomes give me a shout and I'll take a few. Don't do it because I asked...just if your doing it already and you have a few scrawny ones or the like. I like the idea of planting a couple to then grow my own source. I'll trade you all the johnsongrass, canada thistle, jap stilt grass and jap bush honeysuckle you want!!!! May even have some AO or Callery pear!!!

When you say poplar - I assume you mean actual poplar (yellow poplar/tulip poplar)? Or are these some hybrid poplars.....more like cottonwood? Deer rub the crap out of the little cottonwood saplings I had/have but I also have tulip poplar and they don't seem to bother them much from what I have seen.... I am considering yet another project of planting a tree or shrub with the intent of it being rubbed and or for scrapes. I "plant" scrape trees and they seem to work to some extent, but if I can plant something that will live I think it will be even more attractive. Right now I am leaning heavily towards basswood, but that is why I am interested in what your deer are beating the crap out of!

Funny how we plant things to better the deer's life and they seem to fight us every step of the way by either rubbing the crap out of it or eating it down to a stick!

Looks great Bill. Are those hybrid poplars that you planted?
Yep hybrids.

. Do the poplars die back after rubbing ?? Nice shed find !! Is that WR the antler is resting in ?? Clover looks good too.
No they don't die if thier not rubbed all the way around. I've just found if thier not trying to heal they put on more new growth when you just cut them off.

Yes winter rye.

When you say poplar - I assume you mean actual poplar (yellow poplar/tulip poplar)? Or are these some hybrid poplars.....more like cottonwood?

Hybrids. You should try some tulip poplar cuttings. I've heard they won't grow but it just don't believe it.
I have to move a mother plant MG when I get home. Let me see how that goes. I'm sure some rhizomes would be easy to get then.

:emoji_rage:
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg