Made it to the farm today

Bill, do you use preemergent and if so, what is your recipe?
No the rye is my only preemergent. Then liberty with AMS when the weeds poke their heads up.

Thank you Bill. Do you do two apps of liberty then? Does your velvetleaf(buttonweed), waterhemp/pigweed, and marestail all die by liberty? They are my nemesis. J use rye as well, overseeded into my beans but I still get those sobs. I have no tilled the past 10 years but this year I did one acre of disking after spraying rye and then planting. It was cleanest field so far, since gly resistant weeds showed up.

Because I no till, sometimes a third round is needed. I drill then spray. Spray a second time and usually that’s good if the beans have a good canopy. But depending on moisture sometimes the beans are not thick enough to choke out the weeds. I think I got it this year with 2 sprayings.

I don’t know that I have velvet leaf but I have the others and it smokes them. So far it has been smoking everything.
The beans I put in this year are RR, liberty ready and some sort of special 2,4-D so there are other options out there if it doesn’t work.

at some point things will be liberty resistant but for now switching is the best thing I’ve done.

I use interline as the generic for liberty and it does a good job with pigweed and marestail.

Broadcasted ... don't waste your time tilling, WR will germinate & grow in the back of your pick-up.

True.. but you'll get a much better stand and germination rates with some light tillage/packing to incorporate. :emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited:
Ha that’s funny Bill. I was wishing I had planted brassicas this year also after seeing the rains come through in the last 24 hours. We got about an inch southeast of you.

I always forget to add my deer here.

A little nostalgia, Remington 760 game master pump gun that my parents got me for Christmas when I was a sophomore in HS.

3D1110CD-665A-496D-98AE-93B8C89C63D8.jpeg

A little nostalgia, Remington 760 game master pump gun that my parents got me for Christmas when I was a sophomore in HS.

View attachment 38576
Great buck Bill! Congrats!
Wish I had my first rifle my parents bought me. Some crack head broke into my first house an stole it. I’d like to spit some beach nut in that dudes eyes

Great buck Bill! Congrats!
Wish I had my first rifle my parents bought me. Some crack head broke into my first house an stole it. I’d like to spit some beach nut in that dudes eyes
I hear you. That stinks! Really that sucks!
I’m pissed off for you….

I’ve been through a lot of guns. My son took my go to gun last year and I dropped back to old reliable. It worked. This year I went with old reliable out of the shoot.

If I’m not out west I think it’s my go to gun from now on.

top notch.

The nostalgia factor makes it even better.

View attachment 38576
Great buck, Bill! Loving the miscanthus in the background too!

Were you seeing much chasing up on your farm opening weekend? Most years we see at least a couple of does getting chased around this time but had literally zero opening weekend. Very slow rutting activity in general.

Excellent buck Bill! I'd love to join you in the nostalgia, but my parents bought me a double barrel 12ga when I was 15.
Suppose I could load a few old fashioned slugs and hope for the best.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Very nice Bill. Congrats!

Bill, nice buck, congrats!

Our gun opener is this Sat, excitement and anticipation is building :emoji_stuck_out_tongue:

Last edited:
My dad passed away when I was a baby, I rifle hunt with his gun, he use to hunt with. Every deer I have shot with it, I always say "Thanks dad, one more deer with the old gun". When I am no longer able to hunt, I will pass the gun off to my son. It is a connection to something I never had, my dad. I cherish nostalgia.

Last edited:
Were you seeing much chasing up on your farm opening weekend? Most years we see at least a couple of does getting chased around this time but had literally zero opening weekend. Very slow rutting activity in general.

I’ve been here since the 26th of October. Very little rut activity as we hunters have come to expect. Very few does in plots in late October. Probably because the little guys were harassing them. I think a lot of does came into heat at once. Now this morning my brother watched a Doe get chased by about 7 different bucks. Maybe the hot does are starting to dwindle.

Nice buck! Think I see your miscanthus mother plant. You should just get a bunch of Mountain House meals lol