Looking for a source of 4’ wooden stakes

Freeborn

5 year old buck +
With all the rain this spring my tubed crabapple and plum trees have allot of leaf growth on them and because they are whippy many of them are bending allot. I am going to have to reinforce some of my fiberglass stakes with wood stakes. Does anybody have a source of wooden stakes?

I’m going to have to figure out and approach on getting these trees stiffened. I’m thinking of cutting back the tubes in early spring so the trees will have to support themselves. Some of my larger trees might have a problem with this but my shorter trees should do OK.

In the meantime I need to buy some stakes. If you know of a source let me know.

Thanks!

FB

If you have a Fleet farm or Menards they have oak stakes 4 foot long. I bought from both for stakes for muskrat trapping.

I'm looking for a survey type heavy stake. I have never seen them at Menards and I'll have to check Fleet Farm. I'll be at both those stores this weekend so I will look again.

I'm looking for a survey type heavy stake. I have never seen them at Menards and I'll have to check Fleet Farm. I'll be at both those stores this weekend so I will look again.

That's what these were. I would say they are about 1 1/2 inch square. If you don't find them at Fleet farm ask as they were not in the are of stoore that I expected.

Jerry-have you considered 10 foot pieces of conduit form Menards? cut them in half or leave as is. It seems like I got some for about $1.59 this spring.

Thanks Art but I'll be attaching fiberglass poles to the stakes. I went to Menards and Fleet Farm and they did not have what I am looking for. I made a few calls though and have found a MFG of stakes near my farm. I ordered 100 48" stakes that are 1.5" x 3/4" for 40 cents a stake. The company that surveyed my property refered me so I'm pretty certain the quality will be good.

I’m going to have to figure out and approach on getting these trees stiffened. I’m thinking of cutting back the tubes in early spring so the trees will have to support themselves. FB

I ended up going with rebar on my tubes/trees. It's kind of pricey new, but I got most of mine free or cheap.

I wanted to re-use the tubes on new seedlings when the original trees grew too tall for the deer to nip off the leader. Every one had to be supported once the tube was removed. I finally gave up on tubes & now use a wire cage. Trees are all self supporting.

I ended up going with rebar on my tubes/trees. It's kind of pricey new, but I got most of mine free or cheap.

I wanted to re-use the tubes on new seedlings when the original trees grew too tall for the deer to nip off the leader. Every one had to be supported once the tube was removed. I finally gave up on tubes & now use a wire cage. Trees are all self supporting.

With my planting I worked with the NRCS office and planted almost 2000 trees and shrubs, tubes were the only alternative and even though I'll have some setbacks I think I'll have 95+% success. I have some trees snap off from the wind but the roots are still alive and the trees starts over again.

I did a test on one tree in early spring where I cut my 5' tube down to 3 foot before the tree put on leaves, it is doing well so in late winter i will be doing all the trees that need to stiffen. The worst trees are those that have had no wind and good growing conditions.

Cool! Mine all bent over. I couldn't stand it, so I staked them until they could hold themselves up. Lots of extra work and $. :(