Live in the woods they said...

I have all the wildlife, coon, bear, deer, snakes, my worst are spiders. I freakin hate spiders. He have some huge ass fishing spiders, that are about the size of your hand. They say they are harmless to humans, but if they can catch birds, mice, and fish, they sure in the hell would put a hurten on a hand, or foot. I don’t have any pictures, mostly because when I see one, I turn and run away like a little girl screaming the entire way. I have found a couple in my house. Those won’t leave my site until they die, or I would move out until it was found, and killed.
I know there are spiders in the woods, and I respect them in the woods. But not in or around my house.
my brother is a Marine and he is so scared of spiders that he makes me walk in front of him in turkey season when we are walking in the woods in the dark...
one time a full on web hit him in the face and I thought a bear had grabbed him...

lol, last week I was riding my ATV to a back food plot, and the trail to the food plot had a large spider web that crossed the trail, I stopped, researched the situation, decided to turn around and go back. I decided I really didnt need to look at the food plot that bad that day. I havent been back there yet. Although I am planning on planting this weekend, so I will need to figure it out.

my brother is a Marine and he is so scared of spiders that he makes me walk in front of him in turkey season when we are walking in the woods in the dark...
one time a full on web hit him in the face and I thought a bear had grabbed him...
I didn't know anyone with a real phobia until I worked with this woman that said she was scared of caterpillars. I thought ok squeemish over them, I can see that. Well we were out for a walk during lunch one time and she just stopped dead in her tracks staring at the ground. I look over and there is a gypsy moth caterpillar crawling across the road. I walked over and put my feet around it and said ok you're good. I look up and I could see the fear in her eyes. She mumbles I can't do this and turned and fast walked across a 4 lane intersection busy intersection without looking for cars. We were going to prank her with pipe cleaners in her drawers before we saw that. Holy crap I'm glad we didn't. She'd have freaked.

lol, last week I was riding my ATV to a back food plot, and the trail to the food plot had a large spider web that crossed the trail, I stopped, researched the situation, decided to turn around and go back. I decided I really didnt need to look at the food plot that bad that day. I havent been back there yet. Although I am planning on planting this weekend, so I will need to figure it out.

Yep, large yellow ones with black stripes

Webs cross the entire trail and they are in the center at night

Like getting hit in the face with softballs when driving through

bill

My wife insists on putting a Christmas wreath on the front door. Three years running I’ve opened the door at night to get a package off the porch and the bird roosting in the wreath flies to the light. The first two times I chased the things around while they shit everywhere and released them back outside. Not this year, this year I got out the trusty red rider and shot the thing off the chandelier.. much quicker!

My wife insists on putting a Christmas wreath on the front door. Three years running I’ve opened the door at night to get a package off the porch and the bird roosting in the wreath flies to the light. The first two times I chased the things around while they shit everywhere and released them back outside. Not this year, this year I got out the trusty red rider and shot the thing off the chandelier.. much quicker!
I was thinking tennis racket Red Rider is even better.

Yep, don't be living in the woods when the storm hits....

hd0EnOI.jpg

you know, its funny how many folks are scared of smaller critters, be them spiders, snakes or??
I have been a very active person involved with bears all my life
and when I used to talk to people about bear attacks and reasons many happen, I used to get a lot of odd looks and called some not so kind names when I used to tell folks,a LOT of bear attacks are due to they are SCARED
a human defeated there senses and got too close and startled them, without them knowing it! as an example!

people would tell me, HOW is a 500+ lb bear scared of a HUMAN, they won't buy that info!
then I'd say something like?

well how is a 200+ lb man scared of a spider weighing mere ounces??
and then some times they get it THEN!!~
this thread sort fo reminded me of that!
AS,
its not always how BIG or strong you are, we all can get scared of something much much smaller than us!

I think a lot of bear attacks are because people are feeding bears, and bringing bears in closer to humans. Now bears lose their fear of humans, and they feel comfortable being closer to humans, until they dont. That is when they attack. I am not afraid of bears, I just dislike them destructive bastards. I dont like raccoon, it isnt that I am afraid of themor dont understand them, I dont care what you are, animal, insect, or human, if you come and destroy my stuff, you are added to my hitlist.

I think a lot of bear attacks are because people are feeding bears, and bringing bears in closer to humans. Now bears lose their fear of humans, and they feel comfortable being closer to humans, until they dont. That is when they attack. I am not afraid of bears, I just dislike them destructive bastards. I dont like raccoon, it isnt that I am afraid of themor dont understand them, I dont care what you are, animal, insect, or human, if you come and destroy my stuff, you are added to my hitlist.
I agree and dis agree
I don;t really think bear attacks are UP due to folks feeding them(I do NOT believe people should feed them)
but my experiences with folks feeding bears has been that most of the problems caused by them doing so, tends to come AFTER they fun or thrill or what ever it is that got folks to FED them in the first place wears off, TON"S of folks in rural places do this, they want pictures, videos or?? what ever, NOT think what will happen down the road when the FUN run out!
and then they STOP feeding the bear's,
and that'/s when the problems start
as the bear got used to the easy meals, and doesn;t understand WHY they stopped
then add in the bears ability to SMELL the food yet, inside these peoples homes, and well, then the bears start to think, well MAYBE I should get break in and get the food, maybe them people just ain't home to GIVE it to me, mind sets!
and that's IMO< when the problems happen

the same folks that FED the bears start to call and complain about bears damage or ??
yet they CREATED the problem/situation
they turned a more wild animal into a not so wild animal
this si where I disagree some
these bears in MY experience with trapping and relocating a bears over 30+ yrs, has been there not any more aggressive, as a fact many are less aggressive, almost friendly to humans, as many LOST there fear of humans
so them attacking is not more common, unless you really consider them being close to humans more being an attack, I have known a TON of people that feed bears or fed them, like pets(NO agreeing with this at all, but I have known many having worked with game depts, you find these folks and some you get to know)
almost NONE OF them get attacked, and are up close and personal with bears almost daily some of them
they do create many times bear problems, or lets say problem bears!
this is why NO one should feed bears!
Bear attacks IMO< and based on the info I gained over the yrs, comes down to 3 things typically
1.) you got too close and startled the bear and put it into a defense mod or protection mode if its a female with young!

2.) you are dealing with a sick or injured animal, or wounded(same as injured)

3.) a cornered animal
I will agree there can be exceptions to things, but there rare, if you read about bear attacks the above 3 are what causes most attacks
not bears being fed by humans making them aggressive!
and again I say NOT feed bears its bad for the bear and no help to humans!
just making for possible problems
a wild healthy bear will go out of its way to avoid humans and conflicts!

bear sightings and human conflicts are UP< mostly due to human expansion, and too many humans NOT knowing how to co exist living where bears are
making for situations where bears get into trouble easy
excessive food in trash, or about homes and properties, creating problems, as bears live by there noses and like all living things, we all like easy meals
this is the number # complaint game depts get in bear area's
folks complaining about bears BEING bears, due to they have easy food about to LURE bears into there property, yet these people tend to ONLY blame the bear and never themselves for the problems!

I dont think the people feeding the bears are being attacked, I think the people feeding the bears are the fault of the attacks. They feed them, the bears get use to humans, then the bears start hanging out in everyones yards, including the one that arent feeding them, and ones with lose dogs, and small children, and here you have bears walking around the yards looking for more free food from the humans. Then you get more close human bear interactions, because people are drawing the bears into their yards by feeding them.

I wont argue that people are moving in the woods, and closer to wildlife, but a "wild bear" will still keep their distance, unlike a daily fed, sometimes hand fed bear, that move right in to the humans areas and search out for humans to give them food.

I have been having less bear problems in recent years. 5 years a go or so my county was able to bait deer, so we hunted over corn piles, and bear where always around destroying my apple trees, knocking over my garbage cans, and my grill. Since then, I learned no bait piles, no food in the garbage cans, and the grill gets burnt off when I am done cooking. I also try to avoid planting stuff in my food plots that will attrack them. If I see bear in my yard, or in my apple orchard, I will chase them off, either with my dogs, atv, fireworks, or just running at them, and banging on something loud.

I still get a few during early spring, and late fall looking for food, but they learn there isnt any good, easy food here, and they learn fear when in my yard.

Now spiders, I can yell, scream, bang on stuff, all they do is call in their relatives to come at me. They dont learn! I also dont feed them, but I do spray for bugs.

I dont think the people feeding the bears are being attacked, I think the people feeding the bears are the fault of the attacks. They feed them, the bears get use to humans, then the bears start hanging out in everyones yards, including the one that arent feeding them, and ones with lose dogs, and small children, and here you have bears walking around the yards looking for more free food from the humans. Then you get more close human bear interactions, because people are drawing the bears into their yards by feeding them.

I wont argue that people are moving in the woods, and closer to wildlife, but a "wild bear" will still keep their distance, unlike a daily fed, sometimes hand fed bear, that move right in to the humans areas and search out for humans to give them food.

I have been having less bear problems in recent years. 5 years a go or so my county was able to bait deer, so we hunted over corn piles, and bear where always around destroying my apple trees, knocking over my garbage cans, and my grill. Since then, I learned no bait piles, no food in the garbage cans, and the grill gets burnt off when I am done cooking. I also try to avoid planting stuff in my food plots that will attrack them. If I see bear in my yard, or in my apple orchard, I will chase them off, either with my dogs, atv, fireworks, or just running at them, and banging on something loud.

I still get a few during early spring, and late fall looking for food, but they learn there isnt any good, easy food here, and they learn fear when in my yard.

Now spiders, I can yell, scream, bang on stuff, all they do is call in their relatives to come at me. They dont learn! I also dont feed them, but I do spray for bugs.
I fully agree feeding bars is wrong and problem causing for sure,

but a WILD bear will go where the food is, look at AK< when salmon are spawning, and people be about and fishing, even right next to BIG bears that are WILD<
they IGNORE HUMANS, due to food draws them there and its EASY food
so, a again a WILD bear will just follow its nose and stomach, doesn;t matter if humans are about or not if the food is easy and worth the risks, or when risks are honestly low

so, when HUAMNS move into areas where bears live and , they end up being easy food sources, WILD bear or not, bears will show up
and it doesn;t all come from folks feeding bears
its just a bear being a bear and trying to find food every day, be it a HUMANS back yard or a swamp or a crop field or??
and again I don't; see attacks happening more common or?? from bears that were fed by humans,
, the real issue is the bears getting TOO comfortable about humans and relying too much on them for meals

which leads the bear top SELF service by breaking onto home and such for the food they can SMELL
or, maybe should say, having LEARNED what HUMANS food is, over what WILD bears food should be
as HUMAN foods many feed are SO much Higher in calories than what a natural food is for a bear
when a bear needs 20,000+ calories a day , its WAY easier to get them calories from HUMAN foods, over wild foods and WHY they are so easy to accept humans feeding them that NEED and desire for food over powers there FEAR of humans!
again, when bears get fed it leads to issues
mostly property damage over attacks if were honest!
and its LEARNED behavior mostly from folks that FEED them and or just live where bears are and DON"T take steps to be bear proof, by NOT having easy food for bears in the first place
as bear is a wild animal, they hunt and search for food, there NOSE finds for them
and there nose is so powerful it can lead them into bad places ,in search of food, not aggression or attacks IMO

pretty simple DON:T feed them and if you live in bear area's learn how to NOT make your place attractive to bears, and odds are they will avoid you and your place
DON"T
and they can and will follow there nose , all the more so as more and more land is being used up they once lived and ATE in, as don;t forget every acre developed and other wild things, is one less acre where FOOD once was for them
they HAVE to adapt to survive, and that can mean changing diets!

It doesnt help when the DNR listen to a bunch of whacko tree huggers, and adjust the quotas so to appease the environmentalists. I also have wolves, so I am not just referring to the bear on this one.

It doesnt help when the DNR listen to a bunch of whacko tree huggers, and adjust the quotas so to appease the environmentalists. I also have wolves, so I am not just referring to the bear on this one.
I can agree , and I also really think game depts, need to step up and work better with smaller units or area's, as there can be huge differences in area , even if just a few miles apart
they also seem slow to react to conditions, be them too many or too few a species,
its as if they never seem to notice things going on till they go TOO far in either direction!
for a agency who's job it is to protect and manage wildlife, I really question how many do there jobs!
I'm glad we have game wardens and all, but I do feel many lack in ability to run things well!, not a bash just an observation
from a guy in a state where deer depleted things before they noticed, game animals have gone more or less extinct(wild pheasants, and PA was a TOP 5 pheasant state and now have NO wild ones more and PA game dept owns and manages the most land of any state east of the Mississippi less, so should have been able to do something with the land it had under ITS control, rather than blaming farmers and BAD habitat,!
and now many other species are in such low numbers its scary and seeing little done, and then some species WAY high numbers and slow to react there as well!
SLOW reactions from game depts is a problem for sure IMO
you guys with wolves, need a wolf season, and that's a SLOW going deal there as another example!
it seems they will always wait till other species are depleted before they act enough to do any good!

Raccoons and chickens don't mix, so our state conservation folks let me trap, as needed, year round. Four more nest-robing varmints gone this morning.

Squirrels ruined the engine of my wife's Mini Cooper by (somehow) getting nuts past the air filter and into the intake, ruining the ring and valves. Squirrels also ate the seat of my Ford F-150 when I was in Romania for a month. I came back to a cab full of nuts, a ruined seat and a massive clean-up job.

As other have shared, spiders are on my dislike list--a well deserved placement as a brown recluse bite put me in the hospital a few years ago. My wife found this wolf-spider in the house yesterday.

Other joys include chiggers, opossums, and cars that will never be truly clean. Is it worth it? Absolutely!

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 8.01.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 7.50.39 AM.png

This is what we are dealing with as I type this. He's not dead...yet.
This little guy has been here all day. Something is definitely wrong with him but there isn't much that I can do for him. 20220704_095412.jpg20220704_124040_resized.jpg

This little guy has been here all day. Something is definitely wrong with him but there isn't much that I can do for him. View attachment 44292View attachment 44293

it sucks to see things suffering, best advise is call your local game warden, they will come and get it, and either take it to a rehab clinic, or put it out of its suffering!

Momma must of gotten hit by a car or something or someone handled the fawn and she rejected it after that who know but his life will likely be short without any human intervention at this point.

This little guy has been here all day. Something is definitely wrong with him but there isn't much that I can do for him. View attachment 44292View attachment 44293
My dad's friend just found a fawn dead in his mother's garage. He thinks the last time he mowed there, it snuck in when the garage door was open and hid when put the mower back. Poor thing starved over the week. His mom's in her 90's, so she doesn't ever go to the garage and probably couldn't hear in bleating.