Electronics on vehicles - not happy

j-bird

Well my truck is sitting in the parking lot. It's got some sort of an electrical issue. I went out the other day and as I crossed that same parking lot I heard a humming noise. Once I reached my truck I discovered that the radiator fans where running - and I assume had been ALL DAY. Obviously the battery was dead as well.

I tried to jump start it - no dice.
I replaced the battery- no dice.

The only way to get the fans to stop running was to remove the fuses for them (they ar ein a stupid location BTW - you have to remove a firewall/fender support to get to them).

The truck will turn over with the starter but not much else.

I also noticed that when I am out of the truck and no key in the ignition when I connect the battery the interior lights and dash lights will all come on (along with the radiator fans if I put the fuses back in).

We tried to connect it to one of those code reader things and it wouldn't talk to it either.

Truck ran fine - had an issue once or twice before at random times when I would be driving the truck - would park it, turn it off, remove the key jump out (open the door) and everything on the inside would remain on - dome light, radio, dash lights. I would restart the truck and turn it off again and that would resolve it. This last time I was in a hurry and didn't notice the lights and it bit me in the but.

I haven't called the dealership yet - but something tells me this one is going to hurt!

GM product?

Yep - 2005 Chevy Silverado.
GM product?

In case anyone is following along at home - I'm having a real shitty week (boots leak, truck SNAFU, glasses broke, sick kids, you name it)

I ain't going to the Dr. - I'm afraid he is going to diagnose me with Herpigonosyphilitis!!!

Notorious for electrical issues, but usually easier to diagnose than electrical issues with Dodge or foreign jobs.

It's just frustrating. I'm a mechanical sort of guy and can fix things with nuts and bolts - but wires? I just tend to let the smoke out! Now days vehicles are simply computers on 4 wheels.

I wasted 3 trips to the garage, including 2 tow jobs...just shy over $500 later, to finally have them figure out why my Dodge RAM would run for 5-10 seconds and shut off or not start at all was because the security system thought I was trying to steal my own truck. Now, after having gotten all sorts of new stuff I didn't need, along with supposedly fixing the real issue, it has worked for 3 months, but twice it wouldn't start for me the 1st 3 times I turned the key...In other words, my truck's security system still isn't totally convinced I'm not stealing it.

NoFo....My oldest boy is about to grad college and is seriously thinking of taking a job offer in China...I'm with you. I'd gladly trade the truck issues for the kids at least staying in the states after school. That said, I'm doing my best not to discourage him.....man, it's not easy, though.

I wasted 3 trips to the garage, including 2 tow jobs...just shy over $500 later, to finally have them figure out why my Dodge RAM would run for 5-10 seconds and shut off or not start at all was because the security system thought I was trying to steal my own truck. Now, after having gotten all sorts of new stuff I didn't need, along with supposedly fixing the real issue, it has worked for 3 months, but twice it wouldn't start for me the 1st 3 times I turned the key...In other words, my truck's security system still isn't totally convinced I'm not stealing it.

NoFo....My oldest boy is about to grad college and is seriously thinking of taking a job offer in China...I'm with you. I'd gladly trade the truck issues for the kids at least staying in the states after school. That said, I'm doing my best not to discourage him.....man, it's not easy, though.

I had a similar issue with my Dodge Ram, it was the ignition system that had to be replaced. It would not recognize that it was in park so to get around it I would shift into gear and then back into park or neutral and then it would start again after one to many turns of the key...the issue progressively got worse and I had to take it into the shop. That could be what you are experiencing now so you might want to test it out.

Interesting week here. My daughter got engaged and my son took a sea turtle project at jumby island ,antigua right after our trip to lac de mill lacs. Dont like my kids movin on. I will take leaky boots and electrical problems.

My kids are not quite to that point yet and I know I will hate to see them go but I've actually encouraged my daughter to go live someone where different for a couple years before having kids. Once you have those, it's hard to jump around and seeing the world and the life experience it brings is awesome if you have the opportunity.

It's just frustrating. I'm a mechanical sort of guy and can fix things with nuts and bolts - but wires? I just tend to let the smoke out! Now days vehicles are simply computers on 4 wheels.
You'd be surprised how much better the 15's run. LOL. I don't think the 05's even had computers back in the olden days.

Electronics = $$$$$$$$$$ In vehicles. Good luck.

Well my truck is sitting in the parking lot. It's got some sort of an electrical issue. I went out the other day and as I crossed that same parking lot I heard a humming noise. Once I reached my truck I discovered that the radiator fans where running - and I assume had been ALL DAY. Obviously the battery was dead as well.

I tried to jump start it - no dice.
I replaced the battery- no dice.

The only way to get the fans to stop running was to remove the fuses for them (they ar ein a stupid location BTW - you have to remove a firewall/fender support to get to them).

The truck will turn over with the starter but not much else.

I also noticed that when I am out of the truck and no key in the ignition when I connect the battery the interior lights and dash lights will all come on (along with the radiator fans if I put the fuses back in).

We tried to connect it to one of those code reader things and it wouldn't talk to it either.

Truck ran fine - had an issue once or twice before at random times when I would be driving the truck - would park it, turn it off, remove the key jump out (open the door) and everything on the inside would remain on - dome light, radio, dash lights. I would restart the truck and turn it off again and that would resolve it. This last time I was in a hurry and didn't notice the lights and it bit me in the but.

I haven't called the dealership yet - but something tells me this one is going to hurt!

That happened to a buddy of mine while we were up North deer hunting in his 2005 Yukon. He got back to cabin before us and is not very mechanical so he left it run until I got back. We got back to cabin and his Yukon was filled up with smoke. There is a relay or module that controls the heater fans. The module got so hot it started melting plastic around it. The inside lights stayed on too, until we disconnected battery. We pulled fuse for fans and connected the battery up and every thing worked properly except the fans because the fuse was out. The next day he went to GM dealer and got the module replaced. It was around 250 dollars I think.

The thing about electronics is they are great when they work, but when they dont life is miserable. I would gladly buy a new vehicle stripped of almost all electronics for local day to day use. I would rent a vehicle for those longer trips where you want all the bells and whistles and better fuel economy.

Well took the truck to the truck Dr saturday.

Since Jeff the service manager made a comment of "money is no object" I told him OK.

I handed him my key for this:
truck.jpg

And said I would trade even up for this:
vette.jpg

Jeff laughed and said, "Sure - just get Kevin (the guy who manages the dealership) to sign the paperwork." So by chance I see Kevin in the garage and Jeff is around the coner so I can see both guys but they can't see each other. "Hey Kevin, Jeff said I can trade my truck straight up for that black vette out front" I told Kevin. Kevin stopped smiled and said, "And that is why Jeff is in SERVICE!" So no vette - I would have had some fun and then sold it anyway.

Not sure what the deal is yet, but they are looking at it - I hope it isn't anything too serious.

What year an model is your dodge if you don't mind me asking?

The thing about electronics is they are great when they work, but when they dont life is miserable. I would gladly buy a new vehicle stripped of almost all electronics for local day to day use. I would rent a vehicle for those longer trips where you want all the bells and whistles and better fuel economy.

I'm with yA ther TC! If only today's auto manufactures had the mentality of Henry Ford in that he wanted his cars to be affordable to all. We can thank gov, epa an insurance companies for that

J bird I bet the dent in the truck fender had a lot to do with the no deal. But seriously you wouldn't get much habitat work done with the vet. Sure would be fun to drive though.

J bird I bet the dent in the truck fender had a lot to do with the no deal. But seriously you wouldn't get much habitat work done with the vet. Sure would be fun to drive though.
That's not a "dent" - that is a custom deer unloading slide! That is where my boy pulled the top of a power pole down on it. I told the service guy, "Be careful with my truck and don't scratch it - I'm pretty damn particular about my truck!" We both just busted out laughing! I don't think I have washed it in at least a year - it runs better dirty!!!!

I don't think I have washed it in at least a year - it runs better dirty!!!!

My wife just about freaked out when I washed my pickup last week! :D She gets bent out of shape when vehicles dont look pretty. I had hauled a bunch of bags of salt in my pickup, a couple of them were split and spilled in the bed. Wanted to clean out the salt. I probably wash my pickup 3 times a year. When you live where gravel roads are more common than paved roads there is really no point. Besides I am a little suspicious of people driving clean pickups!

Last edited:
My wife just about freaked out when I washed my pickup last week! :D I had hauled a bunch of bags of salt in my pickup, a couple of them were split and spilled in the bed. Wanted to clean out the salt. I probably wash my pickup 3 times a year. When you live where gravel roads are more common than paved roads there is really no point. Besides I am a little suspicious of people driving clean pickups!
I actually have some brassica seed growing in the bed of mine - told the guy at the shop that it was a "mobile foodplot". Told him if I can get the deer into the bed of my truck and then shoot them it's less work on my part! He asked,"What happens if you miss?" I looked at the side of my truck and said, "Other than the deer jumping out of the truck - how would you be able to tell?" He just chuckled and shook his head and said,"There is something wrong with you." He is right!

We live on a gravel road so like you said - whats the point. I run the hose once in a while to wash the blood out of the bed, but other then that - "F" it!