Lithium camera batteries AA. Ouch!!

Just a FYI or reminder for anyone wondering if the batteries are old from wherever you get them. The good until dates are on the batteries themselves. The two places I linked to above where I got the lithiums from the batteires have 2036 and 2037 on them. Lithiums have a long shelf life.

I have been buying the solar pannels for my tactacams. Built in battery and solar charging. With the price of batteries it was a no brainer to me. I believe they also make re chargeable battery packs. They are a bit pricey but i'm sure would pay off over a short time.
S.T. You're build is in a thread somewhere isn't it?

I never had good experience with White Flash cameras - especially with the older bucks. I had several one and done photos from those bucks and never got another photo of them so I never bought another white flash camera since 2013 or 2014. Here is one example:
Wow! The white flash definitely got this deer's attention...
and puts him on full alert...
He obviously doesn't like it...
so he hustles right out of there - never to be seen again.
We did end up tagging him 2-3 weeks later about 1/2 mile away from this camera but even though I had multiple other cameras out, we never captured another photo of him.

The white flash cameras do take better photos than the no-flash Dark Ops cameras I use now, but the no-flash cameras don't seem to spook the deer like the white flash cameras do.

Wild Thing I was referring to the Full Color White flash cams! Not the "red flash", but I agree deer will alert to those too.

Ultimately it really comes down to the individual bucks personality in my opinion. Some are very photogenic and will stand in front of any camera, others simply wont!

I’m a fan of the lithium no matter the cost . I live in a cold, cold climate and they last me through when I need them to be functional. As far as the deer getting spooked, once I started a total de-scenting of my cameras then all problems went away. I only place them where I can drive up and change the cards with a 4 wheeler. I never ever touch the camera with my hands. Paper towels soaked in hydrogen peroxide only. This has eliminated all camera shy deer , that I know of anyway and has eliminated all problems with bears messing with the cameras

Wild Thing I was referring to the Full Color White flash cams! Not the "red flash", but I agree deer will alert to those too.

Ultimately it really comes down to the individual bucks personality in my opinion. Some are very photogenic and will stand in front of any camera, others simply wont!
Yes. That is what I was referring to also. Not sure if anyone even makes the white flash cams anymore. I do have several of the low glow red flash cameras and they aren’t too bad. Like you say though, ndividual personality traits probably dictate what a mature buck will tolerate.

I pull my cameras Sept 1st so I'm not tempted to go in and check them. Won't put them back out until after the season. I have no will power to not look too often and then wonder around looking at my oaks.

I pull my cameras Sept 1st so I'm not tempted to go in and check them. Won't put them back out until after the season. I have no will power to not look too often and then wonder around looking at my oaks.
Go get yourself a cell cam or two. Set them early and never touch them until after the season is over. Don't need a bunch and don't need lithium batteries. Gives you just enough of a glimpse of what's happening out there to get the excitement up.

Does anyone recharge their batteries?

Does anyone recharge their batteries?

I run Tenergy rechargeables in my standard Reconyx cams. They are what Reconyx recommends but I'm not sure how they would do in other brands. Much cheaper in the long run and if the cam has been out any length of time I replace them when I'm in the area regardless of whether they are at 60% or 10.

I run Tenergy rechargeables in my standard Reconyx cams. They are what Reconyx recommends but I'm not sure how they would do in other brands. Much cheaper in the long run and if the cam has been out any length of time I replace them when I'm in the area regardless of whether they are at 60% or 10.
Do you get multiple charges out of a set of batteries or do they start losing charge capabilities after a recharge or two?

796AC087-3509-4207-9EEC-00B9F829F727.jpeg
6:52 pm. Drive up on polaris ranger and park 10 ft away. Into hog proof pen,
Pour out feed, kneel on ground ten ft away and change camera batteries

4EF8FC00-B1A3-4F61-AAC1-C6EAD3EF3851.jpeg
A little over four hours later, first mature buck is in feed pen

7698D48F-1965-4B99-AEDD-00F4035706EC.jpeg
Ten minutes later, another buck shows up
E8B16854-0A60-4F71-8D40-FF5DB4C4229D.jpeg
Four hours after the second buck - both bucks show up together

These are mature bucks - big bucks for this area. I have the right side shed off the back buck in the above picture, from last year - he would have scored about 149 last year.

I think my deer would miss me if I didnt leave scent all over the woods.

View attachment 46006
6:52 pm. Drive up on polaris ranger and park 10 ft away. Into hog proof pen,
Pour out feed, kneel on ground ten ft away and change camera batteries

View attachment 46007
A little over four hours later, first mature buck is in feed pen

View attachment 46008
Ten minutes later, another buck shows up
View attachment 46009
Four hours after the second buck - both bucks show up together

These are mature bucks - big bucks for this area. I have the right side shed off the back buck in the above picture, from last year - he would have scored about 149 last year.

I think my deer would miss me if I didnt leave scent all over the woods.

How big is your pen?

Do you use hog panels?

if so,how many?

thanks,

bill

Bought 8 lithiums and a birthday card at target a couple weeks ago for a paltry $35. Need to get a bunch of my cell cams on solar/battery pack combos because this is gettin out of hand.

How big is your pen?

Do you use hog panels?

if so,how many?

thanks,

bill
No hog panels. I use 32” field fence. It is smaller squares at bottom - just like hog panels. Buy it in rolls 330’ long at tractor supply. Was $159 last year - no telling this year. 16, 5’ tposts. I make them 40’ x 40’ depending on terrain. One 330’ makes two pens. I set corner posts and roll wire from corner to corner and affix. Come back in middle with a buddy and a long pry bar. Pry middle of fence between two corners, outward, pulling it tight. Other guy drives a post in middle to hold fence taught. Then do same thing again between corner and middle. Work around until done. I have a LOT of hogs. I have had one big boar root under in a soft spot and another t post stopped that. A couple guinea pig sized babies have got through the fence. Have had some pens up four years now. Had two month old fawns in them and the biggest bucks I have.

Do you get multiple charges out of a set of batteries or do they start losing charge capabilities after a recharge or two?
I've had some last 5 plus years and who knows how many charging cycles.

Sent from my LM-T600 using Tapatalk

No hog panels. I use 32” field fence. It is smaller squares at bottom - just like hog panels. Buy it in rolls 330’ long at tractor supply. Was $159 last year - no telling this year. 16, 5’ tposts. I make them 40’ x 40’ depending on terrain. One 330’ makes two pens. I set corner posts and roll wire from corner to corner and affix. Come back in middle with a buddy and a long pry bar. Pry middle of fence between two corners, outward, pulling it tight. Other guy drives a post in middle to hold fence taught. Then do same thing again between corner and middle. Work around until done. I have a LOT of hogs. I have had one big boar root under in a soft spot and another t post stopped that. A couple guinea pig sized babies have got through the fence. Have had some pens up four years now. Had two month old fawns in them and the biggest bucks I have.

Seems much easier to transport the rolls versus 16 feet hog panels

thanks,

bill

Based on some beta-tests last year, I switched all my setups to external 12V 10Ah lithium batteries, placed in Remington ammunition boxes. These batteries can be found on Amazon for as little as $35. With the boxes ~$12 and power cords ~$8, you end up with a rig that you never have to purchase batteries for, which runs for months and can be recharged more times than you will ever need. Plus it's lithium, so you get that sweet profile at colder temperatures and full power up until they're discharged - making for better night pics. Win, win IMHO. Buy once, cry once. You can save some $ by going lead acid, but the weigh gets to be cumbersome if you have to go far to hang them, and they're not as good in the cold.

FYI, Tactacam takes a different plug diameter than most (5.5 x 2.1 on Browning, Moultrie, Spypoint, etc; whereas Reveals are 4.0 x 1.7), also lithium batteries use a different charger.