Lithium camera batteries AA. Ouch!!

I honestly haven’t. Unless I have a whole heard of bucks that have eluded my cameras and sightings since June, my bucks are very regular on my cams. Though it would be super cool if I had a whole herd of super sneaky bucks running around. I think if you leave cameras in an area for long enough they will become accustomed to it, especially with corn out. Deer become dumber than hell with a pile of corn…and no camera is going to run them off.
This is not necessary true, last year my boy put up two cameras one looking over the corn pile and the other just looking over some white clover and timber within 30’ of each other we saw one buck on the camera that we never did see on the corn pile camera and he showed up at least twice on the none corn pile camera. My guess is he had an education on bait piles and was avoiding them he was a mature buck 8 or 10 point not huge but decent. I do seriously doubt this is the normal thing however.

This is not necessary true, last year my boy put up two cameras one looking over the corn pile and the other just looking over some white clover and timber within 30’ of each other we saw one buck on the camera that we never did see on the corn pile camera and he showed up at least twice on the none corn pile camera. My guess is he had an education on bait piles and was avoiding them he was a mature buck 8 or 10 point not huge but decent. I do seriously doubt this is the normal thing however.
Yeah I doubt that is the rule, more the exemption. I would argue if you had a big permanent style feeder you are going to get every buck that is using that area eventually. Not talking about the random buck that is doing a walkabout but all the regulars.

I have several Spartan Cell cams and several Spartan WHITE Flash cams. I will get several pictures of big bucks on the white cams that will avoid the cell cams just down the trail.

My friends and I have talked about it as well. I dont like it but I agree a buck will not leave and area, just learns to avoid the camera. I dont know what it is the cell cams put out that they dont like but it seems like something sometimes! Either way, I'm still addicted.

Last summer I paid a little over $1 per battery on Amazon. Now, they are almost $4 per battery. Looks like I will be just using cameras that are in the good spots, and only prior to season. No more year around.

Ebay has them for less than $3

The "White Flash" from some cameras or noisy cameras will spook some deer. I have had really good luck the the "Dark Ops" Browning cameras that have virtually zero flash.
The two cameras I run are dark oops and Spartan go cams. The Browning have been solid for me only had one crap out in 4-5 years of use. The only complaint I have is nighttime pics are a little grainy sometimes. The 3 Spartan have been awesome so far. I have lithium in two of them and regular AA Duracell in one. I'm going to see how long the regular AA last.

I have several Spartan Cell cams and several Spartan WHITE Flash cams. I will get several pictures of big bucks on the white cams that will avoid the cell cams just down the trail.

My friends and I have talked about it as well. I dont like it but I agree a buck will not leave and area, just learns to avoid the camera. I dont know what it is the cell cams put out that they dont like but it seems like something sometimes! Either way, I'm still addicted.
The first night I put my Spartan over bear bait site a bear busted my antenna off( on video mode).They broke my friend wildlife innovation while flash and hit his moultrie several times. Ever since that first night they have not touched either one of my Spartans at regular pic mode.

I never had good experience with White Flash cameras - especially with the older bucks. I had several one and done photos from those bucks and never got another photo of them so I never bought another white flash camera since 2013 or 2014. Here is one example:

Wow! The white flash definitely got this deer's attention...
MFDC0019.jpeg

and puts him on full alert...
MFDC0020.jpeg

He obviously doesn't like it...
21.2.jpeg

so he hustles right out of there - never to be seen again.
22.2.jpeg

We did end up tagging him 2-3 weeks later about 1/2 mile away from this camera but even though I had multiple other cameras out, we never captured another photo of him.

The white flash cameras do take better photos than the no-flash Dark Ops cameras I use now, but the no-flash cameras don't seem to spook the deer like the white flash cameras do.

October 31st is the early part of our rut here in NY, that buck just walked off without spooking or you would have seen a tail in the air and probably running IMHO. The one and done says to me that he isn't in his core area but wandered through looking for does or you probably would have had earlier season pics of it?

Batteries no matter what brand or type you buy are largely dependent on how old they are before they reach your hands. Dollar stores and bulk buying chain stores like Walmart cycle through them quickly but it is questionable how old they are before they get them and put them on the shelves, and also how long they sat there.

I always avoid buying batteries on sale or online as I suspect that they are near the end of their shelf life.

I needed a 4 pack of batteries to replace batteries in a dead camera, normally I just buy a 48 pack on Amazon, but got a price shock. I found a 4 pack at Walgreens for $10.97, snatched that up. They were on an end isle, and didn’t get the price marked up like the ones on the main shelf, that were at $19.97 for a 4 pack. It’s time, I have 2 spots within 100 yards where I could hardwire a security video camera. I have been thinking about this for a couple years. My home security system can take 8 more cameras, and I can run Cat6, Cat5 upto 100 yards. My system can be set to give me live notifications if there is movement, and I can play back video.

Cameras are only about $150, for a good nighttime camera, with adjustable optical zoom, and rotatable. Cable isn’t very expensive, so it would just be running the cable through some trees. I am sure I will have branches damage the cables every once in a while, but it may be worth it. I it may be a good after season project.

I have often thought of putting up a security camera pointing at the food plot on the hill. It would be easy enough to set up and add to my security system at my house, just have to dig in a pole to put it on for a better view. I have too many mice so I would bury it a couple inches down in conduit. You can fast forward the last 24 hours and easily see a deer to back up the footage and check out what it was. I am not sure the night time videos would be great at longer distances though.

4wanderingeyes I could be wrong because my security system takes coax, not Cat5 so I was focused on that type but I think you can run them further using coax cable and even further going with RG6 coax. I was looking at PTZ (pan tilt zoom) cameras with night vision. I will look for the info again for accurate info (it has been years since I looked this up) but with RG59 it was around 700 feet, with RG6 it was like 1,00 feet but with RG59 and an amplifier it was something crazy like 2,500 feet, the amplifiers I was looking at were spendy and I don't need to go that far.

I switched all my cameras over to SLA Batteries and put them in Water Proof Cases.
If i need something other than 12v, i use an Inline Battery Regulator.

These Batteries last all year long, taking thousand of pics each week sometimes.
Never had an issue, and once you have the investment, they are pretty much FREE.
Some combos are going on 5 years or more.

Attachments

• Battery Box.jpg
    Battery Box.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Regulator.jpg
    Regulator.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 21
  • SLA.jpg
    SLA.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I forgot to mention that you will need a power cord, and if need this company has whet you need.

Energizer Lith 23.88 at Walmart now. 8 pack

I have often thought of putting up a security camera pointing at the food plot on the hill. It would be easy enough to set up and add to my security system at my house, just have to dig in a pole to put it on for a better view. I have too many mice so I would bury it a couple inches down in conduit. You can fast forward the last 24 hours and easily see a deer to back up the footage and check out what it was. I am not sure the night time videos would be great at longer distances though.

4wanderingeyes I could be wrong because my security system takes coax, not Cat5 so I was focused on that type but I think you can run them further using coax cable and even further going with RG6 coax. I was looking at PTZ (pan tilt zoom) cameras with night vision. I will look for the info again for accurate info (it has been years since I looked this up) but with RG59 it was around 700 feet, with RG6 it was like 1,00 feet but with RG59 and an amplifier it was something crazy like 2,500 feet, the amplifiers I was looking at were spendy and I don't need to go that far.
Wont cameras with coax need an separate power feed? With the Cat5 and Cat6 cameras they are powered through the cat cable.

Batteries are killing me. 3 of my 4 cell cams eat a set every two weeks it seems. That is $17/ camera every two weeks. $100/month in batteries
I have to get solar
Ouch

Wont cameras with coax need an separate power feed? With the Cat5 and Cat6 cameras they are powered through the cat cable.
It does, there is one pair of 18 or 20 ga wires built into the coax that runs low voltage to the camera, I think it's called Siamese if memory serves. The Cat cables carry power also, one pair sends data and the other pair sends power so it is wired the same. Your CCTV DVR should have options for both CAT or Coax, I am rusty with this info, it has been awhile since I looked all this up.

I just bought 100 pack of Powermax AA's off amazon for $23. Never heard of them but they were highly rated. I typically buy amazon brand but I figured I'd give these a chance.

I have been buying the solar pannels for my tactacams. Built in battery and solar charging. With the price of batteries it was a no brainer to me. I believe they also make re chargeable battery packs. They are a bit pricey but i'm sure would pay off over a short time.