Lime Question

You need to step back and take a few breaths.

Seeing as you are the one that repeatedly has been most hostile to any view point but your own, you may want think about why you are refusing to act on your own advice despite apparently knowing better.

Seeing as you the one that repeatedly has been most hostile to any view point but your own, you may want think about why you are refusing to act on your own advice despite apparently knowing better.

If I came across as hostile in any way I apologize.
I’m always open to other view points, even when they try and squash my liberal free think.

Actually the “Fake News” is you misqouting the direct qoute I posted and then claiming it was “Fake News”.
You presented it as absolute fact that we were wrong because 'sulfur addition' wasn't one of the two primary purposes for using gypsum. By omitting research from a university in one of the largest ag production states in America that found and recommended using gypsum as a sulfur source is #Fake News by deliberate omission.

birch.PNG

So, how much are your fertilizers? Where does Joe Plotter find them? And what kind of PPE is required to handle them?

Gypsum on the other hand is cheap, non-toxic, soil stable, readily available, and frankly environmentally responsible to use when the need to supplement sulfur arises. There are still large amounts of gypsum that get landfilled every year because there are not enough users to take advantage of it's benefits.

You presented it as absolute fact that we were wrong because 'sulfur addition' wasn't one of the two primary purposes for using gypsum.

I posted a direct qoute and link. According to the direct qoute and the content of the article “sulphur addition” is NOT one of two primary purposes of Gypsum.

If you want to argue about the facts presented in the article, I am sure Spectrum Analytics would be happy to explain them to you.

Spectrum Analytic Inc.
1087 Jamison Rd NW
Washington Court House, OH 43160-8748

I posted a direct qoute and link. According to the direct qoute and the content of the article “sulphur addition” is NOT one of two primary purposes of Gypsum.

If you want to argue about the facts presented in the article, I am sure Spectrum Analytics would be happy to explain them to you.

Spectrum Analytic Inc.
1087 Jamison Rd NW
Washington Court House, OH 43160-8748
If you weren't claiming to be right because sulfur addition wasn't one of the two primary purposes, what is it that you were claiming?

And you can't divorce them once you cite them. They're either right or not. Stand behind your source brother.

If you weren't claiming to be right because sulfur addition wasn't one of the two primary purposes, what is it that you were claiming?.

Your presumption that a nefarious claim was being made is just that, a presumption. The facts are the facts. I dont need to “claim” that Sulphor is not one of the two primary purposes of using Gypsom, because it is not! That is a fact, not a “claim”.

The point that you both seem to be turning a blind eye to is the fact that while anyone can use gypsum for whatever they want it is only really good (primary purposes) for two things. Those are treating sodic soils (usually soils well in excess of 7ph) and raising Ca where there is some factor restricting the use of lime (for example low PH soils for plants requiring low PHs that have toxic levels of Aluminum, which could be driven off the cations with the Ca from gypsum without raising the PH)

Do the facts above make it unsuitable for a lot of other uses where other more beneficial options are available? No, absolutely not. But the fact still remains that in those cases there ARE other more beneficial options options a available. In the specific cases you both seem to advocated for the use of gypsum in...lime and sources of sulphur other than gypsum are those options.

I love a good gypsum fight. Drop the gloves ladies.

Hi SD :emoji_metal: See you in a couple of weeks. Prepare to don the feedbag.

Don’t want any of the members getting “Gyp-ed” by purchasing the wrong sources of calcium and sulphur! Lol.

Your presumption that a nefarious claim was being made is just that, a presumption. The facts are the facts. I dont need to “claim” that Sulphor is not one of the two primary purposes of using Gypsom, because it is not! That is a fact, not a “claim”.

The point that you both seem to be turning a blind eye to is the fact that while anyone can use gypsum for whatever they want it is only really good (primary purposes) for two things. Those are treating sodic soils (usually soils well in excess of 7ph) and raising Ca where there is some factor restricting the use of lime (for example low PH soils for plants requiring low PHs that have toxic levels of Aluminum, which could be driven off the cations with the Ca from gypsum without raising the PH)

Do the facts above make it unsuitable for a lot of other uses where other more beneficial options are available? No, absolutely not. But the fact still remains that in those cases there ARE other more beneficial options options a available. In the specific cases you both seem to advocated for the use of gypsum in...lime and sources of sulphur other than gypsum are those options.
Who gets to dictate what a primary use is? There are millions of acres that get gypsum every year exactly for the purposes we're stating. We can put on S cheaply, safely, and don't have to scour the earth to find it. How much does it cost to put these fertilizers on to get up to 40lbs S/acre, and where do you find these fertilizers? Where can Jane Cloverpatch get this stuff?

bbbirch.PNG

I can tell you what we pay in the midwest, from Canada to Kansas you can get it at Menards for $5/bag.
cost.PNG

Making ear plugs outta cotton balls isn't a primary use of cotton balls, but it doesn't mean it can't work great and for little cost.

Hi SD :emoji_metal: See you in a couple of weeks. Prepare to don the feedbag.
You know I'm still on my snooty falooty diet.

But I'll be there!

Who gets to dictate what a primary use is? There are millions of acres that get gypsum every year exactly for the purposes we're stating. We can put on S cheaply, safely, and don't have to scour the earth to find it. How much does it cost to put these fertilizers on to get up to 40lbs S/acre, and where do you find these fertilizers? Where can Jane Cloverpatch get this stuff?

View attachment 22630

I can tell you what we pay in the midwest, from Canada to Kansas you can get it at Menards for $5/bag.
View attachment 22631

Making ear plugs outta cotton balls isn't a primary use of cotton balls, but it doesn't mean it can't work great and for little cost.

$40 a ton here in bulk

(For anyone who is interested in reality, my input is based on the fact that I have applied more calcium and sulphur on my own heavy, often wet, silt loam soils in most recent years than most food plotters will in their entire lifetime (ex. far in excess of 100,000 lbs of Ca.)

Maybe if you used some gypsum you wouldn’t have to buy so much lime and sulfur. :emoji_wink:

Maybe if you used some gypsum you wouldn’t have to buy so much lime and sulfur. :emoji_wink:

If I used gypsum in place of the lime and sulphur I would have completely wasted my money. That is a fact not open to debate.

If I used gypsum in place of the lime and sulphur I would have completely wasted my money. That is a fact not open to debate.
Hey, you never showed me your soil test.

Where is Dgallow when we need him? :emoji_nerd:

Hey, you never showed me your soil test.

That is because: 1) I am not the one advocating a nutrient program for my own soils that is contrary to commonly accepted practice, 2) my test results are a only a function of renovating severaly abused land and my willingness/unwillinness to invest very large amounts of time and money to renovate various quanitites of acres to various degrees 3) my test results show only a snippet in time that is not reflective of where the nutrient levels recently were or are now.

That being said, here is one just to respond to your request. This field had a PH of 5.2 and a Ca base saturation of 20 when I began working on it just a few years ago.

436581B8-0E4A-4B91-A4CA-D17E4B9FAA3A.jpeg

Last edited:
I think we got a lot of good material here, I hope we can keep this going.

Btw...8lbs of sulphur per acre were applied right after that test prior to planting my fall plot. (That application rate was not specific to this field. Instead it was a blended rate based on the results from tests in more than one field that I fertilized all at once.)

Pic is shortly after.

0827C6CA-27C8-445C-ACAC-F9C9AA99BBAE.jpeg