Lets talk clover

Im in the south, and i had never heard of red clover, just the white clovers and crimson. The most talk I hear about is ladino , durana, and then crimson.

I will have to do some searching to see how the red does in my area.
Lots of good talk about it on here!
Thanks for the info.
huntall, given you are in MS, I would check out the red clover offerings that were developed by the University of GA, the primary one being Bulldog Red clover(I think it is also called GA 9908), in trials it stands up to grazing extremely well. Bulldog Red, Kenland III, and Redland Max would be more suited to the northern parts of the state. Other red clovers that have done well in the farther southern areas include the varieties Cherokee Red and Southern Belle. Keep in mind that red clover in the deep south will sometimes act as an annual, and varieties that are heavy reseeders will help to maintain the stand for more than one planting year.

huntall, given you are in MS, I would check out the red clover offerings that were developed by the University of GA, the primary one being Bulldog Red clover(I think it is also called GA 9908), in trials it stands up to grazing extremely well. Bulldog Red, Kenland III, and Redland Max would be more suited to the northern parts of the state. Other red clovers that have done well in the farther southern areas include the varieties Cherokee Red and Southern Belle. Keep in mind that red clover in the deep south will sometimes act as an annual, and varieties that are heavy reseeders will help to maintain the stand for more than one planting year.
good deal!

I am going to replant about 8 one acre clover plots this year. Originally I was going with mixes consisting of 65-80% Alice, 10-15% Kopu II, and 10 to 15% Marathon Red and 10-15% Jumbo Ladino. In my upland sites I have more red and less Kopu or Jumbo Ladino. Alice is the backbone for each plot. I am wondering if I should mix in some Durana or Patriot. To date, I have only planted Durana once and really did not monitor it enough to have a strong opinion.

I am going to replant about 8 one acre clover plots this year. Originally I was going with mixes consisting of 65-80% Alice, 10-15% Kopu II, and 10 to 15% Marathon Red and 10-15% Jumbo Ladino. In my upland sites I have more red and less Kopu or Jumbo Ladino. Alice is the backbone for each plot. I am wondering if I should mix in some Durana or Patriot. To date, I have only planted Durana once and really did not monitor it enough to have a strong opinion.

Diversity is always good. Not sure where you are located, but if you are in the north, the advantages of Durana and Patriot that the southern guys see will not be as noticeable. Alice and Ladino seem to be the predominant white clovers for northern climates.

I am in Ohio (southern half).

Again diversity is good. If you really want to know the value of any of those clovers, do a monoculture side by side planting of them. Take 3 of those 1 acre plots and divide them into 3rds. One third Alice, one third Ladino, one third Durana, rotating them so each one gets its turn on each side and the middle section, so as to eliminate the "deer are feeding on the edges close to cover" variable. Then after your 3rd season you would truly see what value, if any, the Durana gave you over the other varieties in your area.

I planted Alice last year and I am very impressed with it. It is growing in a wooded lot with a 5.7 ph and it is thick as carpet. It has shaded out everything else.

I have a couple of varieties. I really don't think my deer care very much which variety is grown.....so long as its green and lush. I'd go with whichever is easier to grow for you.

Cool pic native hunter! I cant wait to get me another clover plot started this fall.

Man all these pics of clover is getting me fired up for planting some this year

When we first started on the food plot journey about 5 years ago, we were under the impression that white clover can't be beat. We limed, fertilized, tilled, sprayed, etc and grew very nice Alice/Patriot/Jumbo Ladino plots which the deer seemed to enjoy. After a couple years, I started to experiment with alfalfa--Ameristand, and eventually Alfa-rack plus. We also grew an acre or so of Eagle Beans yearly. The interesting thing is that the majority of my plot acreage is within view of the house, so we have been able to view deer preferences over time. Last year I decided to give the soil a break from soybeans and frostseeded an acre of Alta-Swede Mammoth Red with plans to disc it under mid-summer for brassicas. Much to my surprise, the deer couldn't stay out of it (I think Lickcreek has alluded to this in the past as well). We had beautiful white clover and alfalfa plots next to the Mammoth Red, and they would run to that cheap clover and mostly stay there. I was so miffed, I went and tasted them all. The Mammoth Red was tough and a little bitter, the whites were tender and a bit sweet, and the alfalfa would be delicious in a salad, but they still hammered that Mammoth Red. Needless to say, I kept a decent strip of it to see how it would perform/persist. That was last summer. After observing so far this year, I would say that they will eat anything at first greenup, but prefer the alfalfa. A few weeks later, they go to the Mammoth Red, and seem to prefer it to everything else (except soybeans) until late Sept/early Oct. They then really hit the white clover Oct/Nov until the acorns start dropping. We do find they dig through the snow for the white as well. I'm in 5b So. MI, btw.

The deer aren't goi ng to eat the stem of the red clover. It is more rigid and has more of a stalk compared to white clover. My steers don't even eat the stems, but they are spoiled.

I'm actually going to have to spray my red clover, it is getting way too thick where I am establishing NWSG. The clover seemed to serve as a good cover crop last year. I just cut it a couple days ago, so hopefully the NWSG is able to grow above it. Otherwse it's getting a shot of 24D.

Red clover use in my plot right now absolutely blows my mind. I put a camera at the edge of the plot and had nearly 700 pictures in two days, and it was less than 15 deer that did it. I've never seen deer even eat corn like they are eating that stuff right now.

NH-I'm interested in the plant devolpment your clover and rye is in? In central WI we are still a couple weeks away from the rye setting seed. The red clover is just past full bloom. I guessing your plants are further along.

That's awesome it's working for you, have you noticed increased usage compared to cutting the clover? That red clover is only going to get thicker once it drops seed. I might actually be hitting some of my red clover with 24d to knock it back. Planted at 2 pounds/ acre, it has completely taken over portions of the plot in two years. I no tilled a warm season mix into it a month ago, and it appears the clover has it smothered out in places. It isn't a big deal , I just don't care for moncultures. I cut the clover high. Once it resprouts the 24D should put a hurting on it. Maybe I have enough time to save the warm season crop, we'll see.

I'm not going to plant clover again in this spot. There is alot of dormant seed waiting for it's time. I'll spice the warm season crop either way with some rye/ brassicas. Hopefully I haven't created a clover monster and I'll be able to grow my other deer candy..

NH-I'm interested in the plant devolpment your clover and rye is in? In central WI we are still a couple weeks away from the rye setting seed. The red clover is just past full bloom. I guessing your plants are further along.

That's awesome it's working for you, have you noticed increased usage compared to cutting the clover? That red clover is only going to get thicker once it drops seed. I might actually be hitting some of my red clover with 24d to knock it back. Planted at 2 pounds/ acre, it has completely taken over portions of the plot in two years. I no tilled a warm season mix into it a month ago, and it appears the clover has it smothered out in places. It isn't a big deal , I just don't care for moncultures. I cut the clover high. Once it resprouts the 24D should put a hurting on it. Maybe I have enough time to save the warm season crop, we'll see.

I'm not going to plant clover again in this spot. There is alot of dormant seed waiting for it's time. I'll spice the warm season crop either way with some rye/ brassicas. Hopefully I haven't created a clover monster and I'll be able to grow my other deer candy..

Dipper, most of the red clover heads started browning out about 10 days ago but there are still lots that have not started to turn. Instead of rye, that grain is supposed to be triticale, and it looks far from maturing. The oats I have at the end of this plot are completely dead now and set seed some time ago.

This is my first year with red clover, so I can't gauge how much different it would have been if I had cut it earlier. I did mow just a strip in the middle but it grew right back and they don't eat at that spot any more than the other places.

The deer ate the chicory so hard (even a lot of stems) that I thought it wasn't going to be able to flower. But this weekend when I was there several stalks had been able to. The leaves are eaten almost completely off.

Here is a pic I took this weekend where several of the chicory plants had been able to flower. At this end of the plot there is not much triticale, and its mostly chicory + red clover.

This place is like grand central station right now. They won't even walk through the white clover plots just below this one. My guess is that will change in the fall - what do you think?

This is some of the white clover that they are completely ignoring.

Last edited:
Who knows, only time will tell. You sure have everything going for you, big bucks lots of deer. Your habitat work is really what's bringing everything together. Just make sure you don't get an overpopulation, things will start going downhill for you.

Who knows, only time will tell. You sure have everything going for you, big bucks lots of deer. Your habitat work is really what's bringing everything together. Just make sure you don't get an overpopulation, things will start going downhill for you.

Thanks dipper. I love the habitat work, and it has really changed my place. I will keep an eye on the population, but don't think we have much to worry about. The very liberal doe shooting allowed in our state along with the lack of great cover in a 5 mile radius around me will limit the population. If I do need to shrink the population someday we will turn some does into hamburger.

Do yall plant a little more pounds per acre than what is normally recommended?
Durana and patriot sounds good to me!