Lets discuss the NDA

I took a peak at the 2 youtube videos posted earlier in this thread and they have about 240 views combined in 6 weeks.

The guy they hired for social media best step up his game.

I smile when they say they are going to let US know when there is a problem. Seems like they got something mixed up about who tried to let who (m) know what was going on.

Late to the dinner table and claiming the whole show just isn't going to work with me. I've had enough of the whole organization.

I knew some guys that started the Varmint Hunters Assn. Nice guys....and really knew how to put an organization together and publish a slick magazien. They quickly collected some dues nationally, got paid a good salary, lots of paid expensees., built a nice rifle range and had corporate motorhome, and did allot of shooting. All of it tax-exempt too1 Had a nice time.....then sold the "Association" to the employees.....and rode off into the sunset.

Not saying this is the same kind of program with the NDA......but I am suspect of folks that start "private organizations" these days on the backs of the members. Sound familiar?

I want public books on organizations I am going to support. Just saying.

Last edited:
The only place I have seen the NDA really pushed is within the QDMA - now I don't watch the TV shows, or read the magazines or frequent alot of other forums and the like on the inter-webs (I don't even facebook) so maybe I live under a rock. If QDM hasn't "swept" the country yet (and it hasn't) then I doubt they will have any better success with the NDA. If anything NDA membership may suffer due to it's connection with QDMA - as QDMA as an organization tends to carry an "elitest" sort of stigma in the eyes of everyday deer hunters IMO.

I still truely beleive being involved with your local and state level fish and wildlife folks is going to get the best results. Obviously organization is key and the MDDI is a perfect example of just that. Politicians fear one thing and that's people voting for the other guy!

saw this come across my news feed last night.

Attachments

• 10700425_1496030037325221_7667117664815492727_o.jpg
    10700425_1496030037325221_7667117664815492727_o.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 8
NDA posted a link to this article...which I find pretty humorous

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/top-10-worst-deer-hunting-states/

Wisconsin is the 9th worst deer hunting state on the list ^^^...because they shoot a large percentage of yearling bucks, have low temps, and lots of snow. MN didn't make the list...even though we shoot an estimated 70% yearlings in our buck harvest (DNR doesn't track age so its just an estimate). I guess because the MN season falls before WI's it isn't as cold or snowy :rolleyes:

What a complete joke of an article
Yup, deer hunting in Badgerland sucks, nothing to see here, move along now.....(waving my hand in true Jedi fashion)...this isn't the Buffalo Co you're looking for....

I have typed this several times and have deleted it - I have nothing constructive to say. Guess I'm going to the gulf coast states to deer hunt on the beach with sand between my toes and a Mai-Tai in my hand - best deer hunt EVER!!!!

Not taking a cheap shot at anyone from the deep south - just pisses me off that folks publish such crappy articles like this! Mr. Bond obviously doesn't like the cold - pansy!

yeah...my state (PA) made the dubious list because we have a strong deer hunting tradition (greatest hunter density in the nation), have a large annual harvest, and yearlings make up 50% of our antlered harvest. Sounds to me if lots of deer get killed in your state and its cold....then it must suck for deer hunting?!?!?! If you don't want to kill a deer or deal with cold weather....don't come here....lol.

Why could it not be this easy in MN? Here is a clump of words from that article that says it all!

Missouri deer hunters took 251,924 whitetails, the lowest total in at least 10 years. Wildlife officials with the Missouri Department of Conservation aren’t in panic mode, but they know something has to be done.

That’s why they took a bold move in the spring, reducing the limit for antlerless deer during the firearms season from unlimited to one in many counties. Further restrictions are being considered, and the proposals were presented to hunters in public meetings this summer.

“We received a lot of feedback after the deer season that something had to be done,” said Jason Sumners, a deer biologist for the Department of Conservation. “We agreed.

“But that feedback wasn’t the only reason we made changes. From a biological standpoint, we feel that regulation changes will help rebuild our deer herd.

“It’s not going to happen overnight, though. Typically, it takes several years for a deer herd to recover.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/outdoors/article2671144.html#storylink=cpy

I don't know...I've wondered that myself a great number of times.

Right away Missouri asked for feed back and acted on that feedback. In Mn, it has been like pulling fricken teeth!

The only answer I keep coming up with is that some states put a higher intrinsic value on their deer herd than MN does. When deer are viewed as valuable economic assets as well as important creatures in the ecosystem...states do what they can to maximize their "return". When deer are viewed as vermin to be controlled at all costs...their numbers are reduced to the lowest number possible without losing license revenue. Since MN deer hunters just kept buying licenses even though the herd kept going down...the DNR had zero reason to do anything other than what they were doing.

Well said Stu! Spot on.......Sucks that it is true, but spot on!

It does really suck....I should have done a lot more digging on the deer herd and MN DNR deer management before moving here. Shame on me for not doing my homework

That Really Sucks!

The average hunter / fisherman and the MN DNR have a very obvious disconnect. It did not used to be this way. Sportsmen and the DNR used to work together for common goals. No longer.....this DNR needs an overhaul.....and soon. Waaay too much conflict happening now....with the DNR stonewalling sportsmen and not doing the practical stuff of time gone by. They have lost consensus on so many things, from trapping, to predators, to fishing, and deer hunting. Audit.

It does really suck....I should have done a lot more digging on the deer herd and MN DNR deer management before moving here. Shame on me for not doing my homework

Move a little further north.....and you will be happy here. Not overjoyed....but happy. :)

Typical bureaucracy. That is "Do something" leadership. This is why "Big Do-Good" has always let me down. So rare to see a goal of "Accomplish Something."

Now NDA is polling people on fb if they think poaching or disease is their larger concern in regards to deer. WTF....what is NDA going to do about either of those issues?
yep...saw the same FB post....and your comment Stu! There newsletter that hit my inbox yesterday had constant contact poll and it asked if Poaching was the membership's main concern and if poaching was the first thing that NDA should "tackle". I took the survey and said NO and then in the comments i said do something to help the guys in MN.

Thanks Phil :)

I got the survey and answered No as well. My comment was to do actually DO something that was DOABLE. Take on a course of action that may actually provide some results. Like the NDA is going to have an impact on poaching or disease....pfffftt....

Your welcome.

Poaching....really...poaching?!?! I'm sure alot of poaching takes place everywhere, but i personally have not seen it dramatically impact a herd. honestly, poaching is a law enforcement issue. How can the NDA successfully impact a law enforcement issue? Donate money to state agency enforcement departments? Buy Robo-Deer to donate to agencies to use to dupe poachers? neither sounds like it will help bring about widespread decreases in poaching. I really just cant get my head around poaching as the eminent threat to deer and deer hunting on a national level.

From the NDA's recent newlsetter
and, nearly 70 percent said that you would be willing to help in some form. Challenge accepted. We'll get to work - :rolleyes:

The day 70% of any volunteer group will help in some form is… Never.

From the NDA's recent newlsetter

Last week we discussed how poaching is a major scar on legal deer hunting and to law-abiding deer hunters, and as your organization we asked what you think NDA should do about it. Proudly, just under three quarters (74 percent) of respondents felt that we should indeed take on poaching (fines, more law enforcement, etc.) as one of our first major issues to improve for all wild deer and deer hunting; and, nearly 70 percent said that you would be willing to help in some form. Challenge accepted. We'll get to work - please stay tuned for more on this in the coming weeks and how you can help.

Oh boy, I bet poachers everywhere are quaking in their boots :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing. I cannot believe that they actually think there is a way to combat poaching on a national scale and in a meaningful way.... I am fairly confident that enforcement agencies have a pretty good handle on how to do so....but most likely they lack the funding and resources to dramatically impact poaching. Furthermore, poaching tends to be such a localized phenomenon i really cant see how it drastically effects herd dynamics on any significant scale.

the rest of the newsletter goes on to say......

"THIS WEEK'S NDA MEMBER SURVEY

Although there was strong support for the NDA to take on poachers, there were plenty of write-in responses that said there are also other issues out there we should tackle. So, we want to know what you're thinking. Please take this weeks survey and help guide us:"

this weeks survey

My responses
throughout the whitetail's range there are very significant issues with deer herd numbers. be it too few deer or too many deer. Both cases present paramount concern for the hunter as the management tool. In urban areas there are too many deer and local governments are looking to use alternative solutions...not hunting! In areas with too few deer state agencies may have used hunters to irresponsibly reduce deer numbers in the interest of non hunting stake holders.

We need to recruit more and retain more hunters in to our ranks in order to sustain the deer hunting tradition. We also need to increase quality habitat for the deer herds to be healthy and huntable for the future.