Learned something new today

bueller

The guys at the tire shop today nearly refused to rotate my tires because the rears had noticeably less wear than the fronts. They cautioned that the worn tires on the rear could cause a fishtail spinout. I wanted the good tires on the drive axle, FWD vehicle. I assumed they were trying to sell me something or get off with less work since the tire rotation would to be free with the coupon I was using. So I demanded they rotate them anyways. Of course after some research I find that ALL tire manufacturers now recommend that when purchasing only two new tires that they ALWAYS be placed on the rear axle. Many service shops will NOT install two new tires up front with used tires on the rear. There has even been some successful lawsuits filed by injured parties against service centers over the matter. This is all news to me. For now I notice that my steering/handling on dry pavement is better with the good ones up front. I'm interested to see how the handling is on a snow covered road. Before the rotation I felt the front end "pushing" through turns on snow covered roads. Am I the only one that didn't know about this?

News to me too?

I say criss cross the good and the bad. Then you would only fishtail in one direction :)

-John

Not new to me. The fishtailing is only really likely at highway speeds. Have had it happen, really got the heart moving. I guess how bald are the rear tires and how much highway driving would be my considerations.

wow. didn't know that. Maybe just replace all 4?? Like my dad would say.. if it's got t!ts or tires sooner or later it's gonna give you problems.

Didn't know this either. Is this something that would pertain to a conventional rear wheel drive vehicle more than a front wheel drive? My small brain would want the best tires on the front in this case?????

This little known "fact" has been known for a while, but no one talks about it and of course it goes against "conventional wisdom". The best tires are on the rear because in event of a skid on a slippery surface, if your front slides, you can control the vehicle through steering and acceleration/deceleration of the front drive wheels, if the rear starts to come around and the weight of the vehicle is in free slide, there is no way to prevent it from throwing you into a complete 360, other than having the best tires(on the rear) "grab" something to slow down the skid and stop the car from coming all the way around.

There are some good videos on the subject. No wonder the guys looked at me like I was a real idiot :confused:

Spoiler...;) I worked in a tire shop when I was in high school for 2 summers, you aren't the only one who looks at you like you an idiot for telling them they need their best tires on the rear of a front drive vehicle, we got it all the time, and just went with the customers wishes against our better judgment, but that was before all the lawsuits.

Interesting. Honestly can say I didn't know that either.

.... if the rear starts to come around and the weight of the vehicle is in free slide, there is no way to prevent it from throwing you into a complete 360...

bologna. downshift, floor it. Let those good front tires pull you out of the spin before the spins really starts. Just hope you react quick enough, have enough room to speed up, and then have enough room to slow down in a controlled matter. Driving around on busy freeways and the driver doesn't have a chance. On a less populated roadway the driver can probably keep it on the pavement and recover.

I was once hell on wheels. Purposely had super winter tires on the front, and slicks on the rear. Turn the wheel, e-brake the rear tires, downshift, and floor the gas in some wide open parking lots can really be a teacher on how to control a vehicle in winter.

Nice try, but...we are talking the everyday average driver here, not stuntmen.

Come on, Whip - where's your sense of adventure ?? :eek: :D

I used to drive much like DSD describes as well, all over hell and back on every county road within a 50 mile radius of my house when I was a kid.;) :D I'm just saying for Granny Go Gump, they will not bring a vehicle out of a full on skid and have a better chance with the best tires in the rear, which is much safer for us as well as Granny! I don't relish being taken out by other out of control drivers on heavily traveled roadways.:eek:

I'm with DSD on this one since you do have some control if you "drive" out of a skid with front wheel drive, but you can have potential bad results on crappy tires on front or back. Never had the skid happen on crappy rears (ok my car is a $htbox and doesnt really go fast anyway) but after a couple of oh crap right into a curb when trying to take a corner and going straight instead made mr tightwad get new tires on the front and no they were not the cheap hard as a rock version of FF Road Runner tires either....but good thing with the way I drive my brake pads last longer :)