LC Mix

seadonist

5 year old buck +
I am constantly reading about an LC mix on this forum, all of which has been positive. The problem is that I have no idea what the LC mix is. Can someone please help me out here or point me to a website where I can educate myself on it? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Knox went by a couple handles Dbltree and Lickcreek and he developed a rotation of clover, brassicas and cereal grains that feed deer year round, Paul wanted deer coming to his plots year round. With this Photobucket thing his forums were basically lost, they are still there but there is no pics on them Outreach Outdoors http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=e4abc1d77636239229ece5732a73889b and Iowa whitetails https://iowawhitetail.com/forum/forums/dbltrees-corner.45/.
Here is Paul's rotation, it is a really good starting point on seed and #/acre that can be tweaked to fit your needs.

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or crimson and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot...we use 50# each rye, oats and peas along with radish and clover seed all planted in half of each feeding area

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 50-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Frostmaster Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre

Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28 but for best results soil test and add only what is necessary.

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. Gonna study more in depth when I get home this afternoon. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk