Latex Paint

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
If you paint the trunk of your tree with latex paint will that alone protect it from absorption of Gly-41 used to kill grass and weeds around the base of the tree throughout the year. I have been using a flexible piece of plastic sheeting to shied tree from spray but with limbs tied down to train and the wire cages that is a pain to do.

Come on some expert has to know the answer to this one. I saw a guy on Youtube who said it would protect them, but then again I also saw a guy on Youtube who said you can cross an elephant and german shepherd. So I decided to ask this group just to be safe.

It may be that nobody has tried it. Next step might be that you become the pioneer. I've got a few wild ideas going like that myself this year.

It might work, but I would try it on a tree that I was ok with losing, just in case it was an epic fail.

Well I think I will trust this group more than Mr. Youtube. My educated guess is similar to others. I would think it would help, but am hesitant to rely on it entirely. I also don't have any TEST trees I am willing to chance. I think I will apply it and just try to be careful with the GLY. All of my trees are in larger foodplots. Therefore, everytime I seed plots I get seed in the cages. It is just hard to keep all grass and clover out.

What are the disadvantages of lumite woven other than a great place for mice and critters to crawl under.

What are the disadvantages of lumite woven other than a great place for mice and critters to crawl under.

I have no idea why, but I have 3 acres covered with fabric for the nursery and have NEVER had a mouse/vole issue with damaging plants.

When I first installed the nursery, I put canisters of poison out expecting problems. Didn't have any. For the last 3 or 4 years I haven't done anything. I get rabbits that come in and munch on the bark and branches, but nothing else. And I KNOW mice live in the nursery (I have much of the fabric covered with wood shavings) because I've had a battle in the cabin with mice ever since I installed the nursery.

-John

All things that could be mitigated with a well trained platoon of cats and dogs.

All things that could be mitigated with a well trained platoon of cats and dogs.
I'm wondering how you train a cat to be a mouser? Fat and lazy cat remains a fat and lazy cat in most cases. Reminds me of many problems in our country.

Last year I tried heavy cardboard around my apple trees and then covered the cardboard with cedar wood chips. Some of that cardboard even has some sort of coating on it. I am sure lumite would last longer, but I am cheap. I say thrifty, my wife says cheap.

Why couldn't you use silt fence? It is inexpensive and the same material. I don't know the permissible flow volume on your item. Perhaps it is greater than silt fence.

I'm wondering how you train a cat to be a mouser? Fat and lazy cat remains a fat and lazy cat in most cases. Reminds me of many problems in our country.

Last year I tried heavy cardboard around my apple trees and then covered the cardboard with cedar wood chips. Some of that cardboard even has some sort of coating on it. I am sure lumite would last longer, but I am cheap. I say thrifty, my wife says cheap.
All starts with a good mother cat, rationed food, and outdoor living. Then you gotta take em hunting. We had some lazy ones on the farm, but we also had some fantastic predators.