Only Thing I have Found to Protect Fruit

Primarily sardines (the cheap ones). Smoked fish works good as well (does not break down as fast in the heat). I also add some old crystallized honey. I like to dig a small 3" deep hole under the trap for the bait (ensures the trigger pan goes off when they try reaching for it).

Primarily sardines (the cheap ones). Smoked fish works good as well (does not break down as fast in the heat). I also add some old crystallized honey. I like to dig a small 3" deep hole under the trap for the bait (ensures the trigger pan goes off when they try reaching for it).
I cant use any kind of meat or sweet about nine months out of the year as the fireants will consume it in an hour. Non cold weather I have to use dry catfood, catfish pellets, or corn - which dont have the draw of meat products

Maybe consider adding some owl nesting boxes near the orchard. You could also add a perch pole overlooking the orchard..

Owls at night, hawks during the day. Might not take a larger coon, but could grab the yougsters. Good also to control voles, mice, etc.

I cant use any kind of meat or sweet about nine months out of the year as the fireants will consume it in an hour. Non cold weather I have to use dry catfood, catfish pellets, or corn - which dont have the draw of meat products
That would make the trapping a challenge. Could the bait be placed in a small mesh organza type bag to minimize the fire ant problem? Also, if fire ants don't swim, another thought would be to place the bait a pan of water, sort of like like a moat (use something to keep it above the water). Probably easier said then done.

That would make the trapping a challenge. Could the bait be placed in a small mesh organza type bag to minimize the fire ant problem? Also, if fire ants don't swim, another thought would be to place the bait a pan of water, sort of like like a moat (use something to keep it above the water). Probably easier said then done.
they swim