Late bud break

Plums were fully open a couple of days ago, pears are today, early apples are just about there. Lowest overnight on my 10 day is 42, so looking very good.

I've already got corn and beans up in the garden, and transplanted my peppers and tomatoes yesterday. Hummingbirds and barn swallows have arrived and bees are everywhere.

Hoping the couple of 90 degree days we just had didn't hinder the 50 apples I field grafted last weekend. Probably should have waited til this weekend, but that's when I had the time.

I was out at the farm today fertilizing just looking over my trees and performing general maintenance. I noticed the only apple trees that hadn’t broken bud yet where my Arkansas Black, Northwest Greening and Franklin Cider just thought it an interesting observation. They maybe particularly handy for low lying areas that get late frost.
I snagged some scions from a roadside tree with apples hanging in March and discovered the scions were the latest out of about 20 varieties to get going. Looking forward to finding out what other favorable attributes this variety might have! I'm in a wicked frost pocket.

About half of my trees are full bloom, and it’s suppose to get to 32 tonight and 33 tomorrow. If it only gets to those temps, I won’t be worried, but usually the temps get several degrees cooler then they predict for lows. Also I have been around the trees the last couple days, and haven’t seen a bee around. Although it is 48 degrees, cloudy, and windy.

I just can’t catch a break with the apple trees.

I also poured concrete today, so I guess a little concerned with that as well with the temps. Not sure if I should throw some blankets on it?

About half of my trees are full bloom, and it’s suppose to get to 32 tonight and 33 tomorrow. If it only gets to those temps, I won’t be worried, but usually the temps get several degrees cooler then they predict for lows. Also I have been around the trees the last couple days, and haven’t seen a bee around. Although it is 48 degrees, cloudy, and windy.

I also poured concrete today, so I guess a little concerned with that as well with the temps. Not sure if I should throw some blankets on it?
We are supposed to cover concrete if it’s forecasted for 35 or below. This is an NRCS regulation for animal waste facilities.

I tossed a couple tarps on it. I really don’t have a concrete blanket to put on it. My wife would kick my butt if I used regular blankets.

I tossed a couple tarps on it. I really don’t have a concrete blanket to put on it. My wife would kick my butt if I used regular blankets.
At those temps you should be ok with a tarp. Concrete should give off enough heat. Better than doing nothing at least.

Are you wet curing the concrete? I usually try and wet cure it for several days, that may not be as important with such cool temperatures.

Are you wet curing the concrete? I usually try and wet cure it for several days, that may not be as important with such cool temperatures.

I have wet it down a couple times yesterday, I was planning on doing it again today, but I won’t be doing it after that, so I don’t know how much extra strength I will get from it, but temps are going to be cool all week.

Most of my trees are in full bloom rt now up at my place. Weather Channel says down to 34 tonight NWS says 28. Ain’t nothing I can do about it ‍♂️ I’ll root for the Weather Channel prediction.

I had 31 at 6am this morning. And it quickly warmed up after that. If 31 was the actual low, it should be ok.
One more round tonight.

Having apple trees is a lot like being a parent to a teenager. Always worrying about late nights.

I'll send you some of our heat. I had 97 in my truck on Saturday. Finally got around to liming and had to stop and sit in the truck in the AC a few times. Gave up on tree planting because the woods are a jungle already. It's also been raining every other day too so everything's growing like mad. I did notice that I had very few blossoms on my trees this year. Mine are all still fairly young. In the ground less than 3-4 years but typically there are a blossoms that I've been pinching off and this year only a handful no matter the tree type. Plums, pears, apples, no more than 5 or 6 on each.

I'll send you some of our heat. I had 97 in my truck on Saturday. Finally got around to liming and had to stop and sit in the truck in the AC a few times. Gave up on tree planting because the woods are a jungle already. It's also been raining every other day too so everything's growing like mad. I did notice that I had very few blossoms on my trees this year. Mine are all still fairly young. In the ground less than 3-4 years but typically there are a blossoms that I've been pinching off and this year only a handful no matter the tree type. Plums, pears, apples, no more than 5 or 6 on each.
It was over 90 in the shade of my front porch this weekend...I weed whacked around 18 of the smaller shrubs I planted in April and went back 2 days later and you can barely tell where. Jungle doesn't begin to describe that hay field. My rye is already ~4' tall and growing. The clover is at least knee high too in both my plot and the one I put in for my neighbor....mowing might soon be in order...
my upper field..
IMG_6309[1].JPG
my nieghbor on the edge of his plot...
IMG_6329[1].JPG
now we wait for the fawns...

Last night didnt get as cold, I saw 34 at 530 am this morning. So Saturday and Sunday, lows 31 and 34, our highs Saturday were 54, and Sunday 48. It looks like late week we may get up to 70, but the rest of the week is highs in the 50's lower 60's, and lows lower to mid 40's. seems global warming forgot us.