Late bud break

b116757

5 year old buck +
I was out at the farm today fertilizing just looking over my trees and performing general maintenance. I noticed the only apple trees that hadn’t broken bud yet where my Arkansas Black, Northwest Greening and Franklin Cider just thought it an interesting observation. They maybe particularly handy for low lying areas that get late frost.

That might be a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was out at the farm today fertilizing just looking over my trees and performing general maintenance. I noticed the only apple trees that hadn’t broken bud yet where my Arkansas Black, Northwest Greening and Franklin Cider just thought it an interesting observation. They maybe particularly handy for low lying areas that get late frost.
I noticed the same thing with most of my apple trees this year. I am very pleased. I think I escaped a few frosts because of it at the end of April here in Western, Pa.

My trees are just starting to break silver bud. Hopefully with the wetter spring, and the late spring, I will get my first big crop. Usually I get hit with a late frost, or like last year and got hit with a big drought.

I'm happy for the late bud breaking for both my pear and apple. If we don't have a drought it could be a bumper crop year.

The apples at my house are blossoming already. At the property which is only 15 minutes away, but on the north side of the hill, the plums have blossomed but the apples and pears have just started leafing out.

I have a dumb question for you apple tree guys. When you fertilize them, do you put the fertilizer on top of the weed mat, around the edges of it, or lift it up and put it under. I know I don't want to put it close to the truck but I wasn't sure if the mat would affect anything or not.

I have a dumb question for you apple tree guys. When you fertilize them, do you put the fertilizer on top of the weed mat, around the edges of it, or lift it up and put it under. I know I don't want to put it close to the truck but I wasn't sure if the mat would affect anything or not.
I just threw it on top and around the edge. Not sure if the roots even extend past the mat yet but whatever, I'm lazy. No way in hell I'm lifting up mats and cages. It'll get there eventually is my thought.

I just threw it on top and around the edge. Not sure if the roots even extend past the mat yet but whatever, I'm lazy. No way in hell I'm lifting up mats and cages. It'll get there eventually is my thought.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. No way I'm moving cages and picking up all the rocks and sticks I threw on top of mat.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. No way I'm moving cages and picking up all the rocks and sticks I threw on top of mat.
I ride by on the ATV with the bag of fertilizer, and a cup, and chuck the fertilizer at the cage, some goes in the cage, some outside the cage, and I am sure some by the trunk. I just try to do it before a rain.

I used a coffee can filled with fertilizer triple 12 I think because it’s what I had on hand. I used a smallish serving spoon and threw one scoop outside the tube but inside the x cut in the mat for the most part. I only fertilized the trees planted last spring. I probably could of used more around the fruit trees but I’m more conservative when it comes to fertilizer.

Can you tell where I fertilized my trees last year?

IMG_5514.jpg

These are oak seedlings I started from acorns but can you tell I missed #3? :emoji_sunglasses:

IMG_5498.jpg

I also read where trees can have late bud break and flowering over a long period of time due to insufficient chill hours. Anyone vouch for that?

Last year I had a frost that wiped out my Williams Pride and several others blossoms but the Williams Pride set new blossoms way latter and I ended up with some apples from that tree but much latter than normal. I don’t recall any of my other cultivars ever doing that but they may have and I was obviously. I have no idea on the insufficient chill hours.

I checked on those trees again today I have two of each of them and they still haven’t really broken bud yet. One of the Franklin Cider had one bud that had little leaves starting but the rest of its buds are still waiting. Hope I don’t loose those six trees rest of my trees are well leafed out at this point the trees look healthy other than still asleep.

I was just out in my orchard, I would say 1/4 of my trees now are in green bud stage, the rest are still in silver bud.

I have always read that tree zones mattered for trees for chill hours, and how hardy they are for low temps. In my area chill hours is t a problem, late frost is the killer for me.

Mine are late this year and I’m fine with that. Last year I got hit hard with a couple late freezes and only found a handful of apples for the season. That was fine too as I looked at it as a tree growth year. A commercial orchard by me only had less than 5% of their normal crop. Hopefully with them waking up late this year they will be in the clear this season.

Wild plums are finally blooming and pear trees are just starting to blossom. The plums are always first of the fruit trees in my neighborhood. Crab apples are still waiting to pop, probably another 3-5 days would guess. Definitely one of the later starts for the last 20 yrs or so. 2013 was probably the latest when I go back and look at pics. As noted above maybe this means chances of a hard frost during apple blossom time is less likely. Last year was not good in that regard,

Most of mine are leafed out now, or some stage of leafs on them. The warm days are over, woke up this morning to 36, and highs in the 10 day are upper 50’s to upper 60’s. Lows 30’s to 40’s.

When the forcast says 40’s, I have no confidence in temps staying above freezing. Temps here have a tendency to just drop well below the forecast at times.