Large land owners

I have killed a ton of turkeys out of pine stands in that 10 to 16 yr old stage when there was little undergrowth on the forest floor. Turkeys can see you a long ways off in those clean pine plantations. That is why they are in there - they can see predators a long ways off.
Off topic but yes…Season opened yesterday here. Son got on one this morn on edge of pines n hardwood bottoms.
7CEA43F3-6737-4599-99F3-4AFF476197E2.jpeg

Off topic but yes…Season opened yesterday here. Son got on one this morn on edge of pines n hardwood bottoms.
View attachment 42095
Congrats! Our spring gobbler season starts this coming Saturday. Got to love the mix of habitat for turkey!

Bought our 192 acres in 1994 for ~ $110K. 80 acres of mixed hardwood, 110 acres open pasture/cropland, 45 of which is flat, creekbottom ground that was in corn/soybean rotation when we bought it. Two 3/4 acre ponds, no fences, no house.
Wife & I are both veterinarians, but she was stay-at-home mom for our 4 kids, and managed our beef herd, which grew from 5 to 80 cows, for 25 years. Won't lie, got a nice inheritance when my parents sold some properties, that paid the note on the farm. We would have managed just on my salary, but not having that part of the mortgage payment made a big difference.

This one sold last summer, about 3 miles up the highway, away from town - think the Amish/Mennonites bought it. 104 acres, all open. Brought $800K (~$7700/acre). I can't even imagine.

Bought our 192 acres in 1994 for ~ $110K. 80 acres of mixed hardwood, 110 acres open pasture/cropland, 45 of which is flat, creekbottom ground that was in corn/soybean rotation when we bought it. Two 3/4 acre ponds, no fences, no house.
Wife & I are both veterinarians, but she was stay-at-home mom for our 4 kids, and managed our beef herd, which grew from 5 to 80 cows, for 25 years. Won't lie, got a nice inheritance when my parents sold some properties, that paid the note on the farm. We would have managed just on my salary, but not having that part of the mortgage payment made a big difference.

This one sold last summer, about 3 miles up the highway, away from town - think the Amish/Mennonites bought it. 104 acres, all open. Brought $800K (~$7700/acre). I can't even imagine.
That's been happening around me a lot too. The Amish are moving up from southern PA because land down there is even crazier. You want to see some insane land prices for a somewhat rural area, look up Lancaster County, PA on Zillow. 6.9 million for 81 acres. They're selling their farms for a premium down there and then moving around and buying up large tracts of land.

There is a little Amish bakery right up the road from me, Hot damn can they ever bake. @Bowsnbucks, On your way up to camp stop at Weaver's on 11/15, It's about 15 miles south of Selinsgrove/Blue Hill. You won't be disappointed.

Northern Wisconsin - 270 acres.

About 10 years ago my wife and I spent 100% of our emergency fund on buying a foreclosed industrial manufacturing building as an investment. We took our life savings to zero and it scared the crap out of me at the time. I was 40 but my wife and I both had good, stable jobs so we rolled the dice.

Just as the bat flu was getting going we sold it for almost 7x more than we paid for it after renting it out those ten years and almost paying off the loan. Best investment of my life-so far.

We looked at properties for over a year and then paid cash for the land we will build our forever home on in the spring of 23.

I hope to add 40 or 80 adjoining acres this summer or next. Will also be a cash purchase.

Before buying my own land, I hunted public and and had a $0 lease on 200 acres that I took care of for a retired couple. Worked my tail off there, and now doing the same on my own.

Northern Wisconsin - 270 acres.

About 10 years ago my wife and I spent 100% of our emergency fund on buying a foreclosed industrial manufacturing building as an investment. We took our life savings to zero and it scared the crap out of me at the time. I was 40 but my wife and I both had good, stable jobs so we rolled the dice.

Just as the bat flu was getting going we sold it for almost 7x more than we paid for it after renting it out those ten years and almost paying off the loan. Best investment of my life-so far.

We looked at properties for over a year and then paid cash for the land we will build our forever home on in the spring of 23.

I hope to add 40 or 80 adjoining acres this summer or next. Will also be a cash purchase.

Before buying my own land, I hunted public and and had a $0 lease on 200 acres that I took care of for a retired couple. Worked my tail off there, and now doing the same on my own.

Amazing what having more cash than debt will allow you to do in life ... your had work and sacrifice has paid off ... good for you!

Amazing what having more cash than debt will allow you to do in life ... your had work and sacrifice has paid off ... good for you!
And that starts with the little things early in life. When I first started out, my friends all bought new cars because the sales guys told them they could afford $xxx.xx per month based on their salaries. I bought a cheap used car and took out a 3 year loan. I new that car would last well more than 3 years. When the loan was over, I put that that payment into savings for autos. When that car finally died, I bought an inexpensive new car and put that savings into a very big down payment. Again I took a 3 year loan on the balance, not a 5 year loan to get the payment down so I could afford something sexy. I never traded in a car. I just drove it until it died. Once again putting the monthly payment into savings until the car died. From then on, I was able to buy cars with cash.

Rent was another big thing. While my friends all had nice apartments in town high-rises, I rented an apartment in an old house 10 miles out of town. Even that was too expensive for me. I ended up buying an old used mobile home about 20 miles outside town. Wasn't even a double wide. I kept it for 5 years, sold it for what I paid, and put that rent money differential into savings on a down payment for a house.

The beauty of compounding means that living austerely when I was young and single made a big difference in the long run. Since I paid off that second 3 year car loan, my only debt has been mortgages. If I couldn't afford it without a loan, I just didn't buy it. Now I was fortunate and had a good job when I graduated from college. I made it a point to contribute to a retirement program at least to the level of matching funds from the company. I was willing to give up things for that free money in the long run.

Having said that, I was pretty think headed and had a hard time learning from others. I made plenty of bad investment decisions along the way. I finally learned, getting rich quick is mostly luck. Getting rich slowly is possible for many folks with average luck simply by delaying gratification.

If one is in mid-life and still straddled with debt beyond a mortgage and hasn't been saving for retirement, buying a large tract of land is probably not a realistic expectation. I'd focus on becoming debt free and then preparing for retirement first.

Thanks,

Jack

Went to dinner last night with one of the guys that frequents this site.....and with our wives. Told him the story about when I was about to get married to my wife of 50+ years. I was pretty much broke, and did not have much secondary education. I had just got out of the army and had just gotten a decent job. I sold a 22 rifle I had bought a few years earlier to a friend of mine for $40 in order to raise some more cash for a down payment on our wedding bands. I financed the rest, on an inexpensive set ofweding bands via Goodman Jewlers. We got mostly used hand-me-down furniture and slowly accumulated enough to begin our married life - tho barely at times for several years. My wife worked part-time and somehow we raised two great kids. A few years and career changes later, I ended up in sales and most always had a good company car and a decent expense account to help with some costs. My wife drove a used car until we were in our 40's. At different times....I bought, fixed and sold a few vehicles to make an extra buck...as well as some used industrial equipment.

We made budgets and stuck to 'em. Tracked every expense for several years. A big night out was pizza with our kids. Our first home cost $20,000 and the house payment was $120 / month on a 20 year mortgage. Luckily I recognized the building boom early on in the 70's and we got ahead of that curve to a large extent via building new home.....but we always kept our debt well within our means.....and kept saving and investing for retirement. Got better jobs....and finally started my own biz.

Fast forward many years.......The friend I sold that 22 rifle to came for a visit at our home on the lake...and I had not seen him for at least 25 years. We had both prospered via our own business and meager starts. He brought that old 22 rifle with him and gave it back to me. Said I may like to keep it as a souvenir after being married for over 50 years. That old Winchester 22 auto is still not worth a lot financially.....but it is one of the more cherished guns I now own (again). He told me he bought it as a favor to me.....and he really didi not have the money to spare at that time either......but he was being a good friend. Great memory of a great guy. My ship took a looong time to come in.....but it finally arrived. Hard work, determination, grit, common sense, courage, doing without, faith, and a little luck, go a long way to becoming successful.....IMO.