Land Pride / Great Plains 3 Point Drill Owners - Survey

From the picture provided, Which hole do you use to establish the drill depth.

• 1 Highest

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 2 50.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 8 Lowest

• Total voters

Foggy47

5 year old buck +
So I wonder how others set up their drills with front wheel drive (3P-500, 3P-600, 3P-606NT).....and what seed depth you anticipate / experience. adjusting 3 point height.png

I use hole 6 and in my sandy/loam I get about 1/2" to 1" + deep depending how I set my packing wheels.

I use my hydraulic top link to find the spot where the top link provides almost no influence on the drill when standing still. I have not used the float feature on this cylinder. Set up a such I do not experience any wheel "skipping".

I use hole 6 the adjustments are much easier with 2 people

Mine is 3 pt I adjust the top link by placing a leveler on the top of the drill to ensure the drill is level

I set the float lever on the tractor "all the way down" for maximal float

The learning curve is not as steep and intimidating after the first few uses

Hopefully, others will participate in the survey

bill

Foggy I am in heavy river bottom gumbo ground and I have to say my axle hole number correlates very close to this chart and it's corresponding depth results
What the chart cannot do in my opinion is account for soil type as well a soil moisture content ..therefore I consider it to be very much like numbers on a toaster in which you will "proof" for ALMOST each of your fields as to soil type (in my case my drill set for my bottoms will not please me on my ridges) ..add to that moisture present in the soil so ...
Not only is data (drill settings) maintained on the different soils but also moisture must be considered
Hole seven on my bottom ground gives me 1/4" bury on the main box with 60# of air maintained on the drive wheel

Bear

I use # 8 on most my ground and still get 1”ish penetration from the coulters. I then set the seed depth using the depth handles for the closing wheels as that ultimately dictates the opener/seed trench depth.

Also depends what I’m planting.

I level using the top link. Some ground I do wish I had more pressure on the closing wheels so I adjust the top link to accomplish that even if I’m in a negative level. I’ve also been in Ground hard enough that I cannot get drive wheel contact with the ground on any setting besides 8.

Also the use of a quick hitch plays a roll on how I have to set things up due to the play within the quick hitch itself.

Foggy I am in heavy river bottom gumbo ground and I have to say my axle hole number correlates very close to this chart and it's corresponding depth results
What the chart cannot do in my opinion is account for soil type as well a soil moisture content ..therefore I consider it to be very much like numbers on a toaster in which you will "proof" for ALMOST each of your fields as to soil type (in my case my drill set for my bottoms will not please me on my ridges) ..add to that moisture present in the soil so ...
Not only is data (drill settings) maintained on the different soils but also moisture must be considered
Hole seven on my bottom ground gives me 1/4" bury on the main box with 60# of air maintained on the drive wheel

Bear
You are also making a cogent case for calibration

bill