Repair Lockout Hub on Land Pride/Great Plains No-Till Drill

Wild Thing

5 year old buck +
If you have a 3 Pt Drill this isn't an issue for you but for those of you with a pull behind LP or GP drill it may become an issue some day:

I mentioned last fall that the last day that I was planting, I lost the roll pin used to engage / disengage the lock out hub on the drive wheel. It broke off while engaged so I was able to finish planting but I could not disengage it for the trip back to the barn.

IMG_9059.jpg

If you look up the part number it will tell you it is a 3/16" X 1 1/2" roll pin. I looked all over town and could not find one. Finally, I found these at Tractor Supply but when I looked at it, it appeared to be shorter than the original. They didn't have anything longer in 3/16" so I went ahead and bought them but, as you can see, they are a little too short IMO.
IMG_1300.jpg

I drove it thru a little long on one end so I could get a better grip on it but I will be looking for a 2" pin and will be replacing it when I find one.
IMG_1469.jpg

The old one was broken off, of course. I started knocking it through with a 3/16 punch and then drove the new pin through to knock out the old broken pin.
IMG_1470.jpg

I bought my drill in 2016 and I have often wondered how long it would take before this pin either broke off or fell out and it finally happened last year. If you own this type of drill, I am betting that sooner or later you will have the same experience so if you happen to run across a 3/16" X 2" roll pin you may want to buy it and keep it handy.

I had to replace the whole drive hub assembly on my 606NT. The key that holds the sprocket to the drive shaft just gave up the ghost and boggered up the shaft. Turns out that the repair wasn't that bad but it might be something to keep an eye on if you have a pull type 606NT. I still have the old shaft and wonder if a good machinist could make it like new?

Should I be embarrassed to say mine has a bent nail in there replacing the roll pin. 🤪

Should I be embarrassed to say mine has a bent nail in there replacing the roll pin. 🤪

Probably so......

.........you don't live in east texas

bill

I keep a supply of bent nails in a special bolt bin. The answer is nope, don’t be embarrassed.

I mentioned above that I found a 3/16 X 1 1/2" roll pin but it was really too short to be able to get a good grip on it...

Finally I found some 3/16" X 2" stainless roll pins at Ace Hardware and they are just what the Dr ordered so I bought 3 of them. Yes, a bent nail will work if you have one the right size but the stainless roll pins only set me back about a dollar each and I can live with that 😃. If I get 6-7 years out of these like I did the original, I should be good to go for as long as I plan on using this drill.

IMG_2342.jpg

Thanks for the info about Ace having those roll pins. I’ll have to get a few to keep JIC.
I get aggravated with my drill when things aren’t working right but overall I get good results and plan to use it for a long time. Heck, my tractor is a 1973 model and it just keeps on chugging along. I can fix most anything that breaks on it, unlike these new ones that have to be taken to the dealer for servicing. My point being new is great but sometimes older stuff fills the bill. But, what is good for me doesn’t work for everybody, I totally understand that.