Keifer vs Bartlett bloom time.

Skelly

5 year old buck +
I have a Kiefer and a Bartlett Pear planted in the orchard.

My lap top that has my plantings map has died. These two are the only ones I can’t remember which is which.

Neither has fruited yet for me to determine through the fruit. One-blooms really early (it is starting to open up now) it has bloomed the last 2 years about this time and gets hit with a frost.

I’m in Virginia 7a. Does anyone have a side by side comparison of the two trees and could let me know which typically blooms earlier then the other.

I realize everyone is in different zones but I was hoping that Keifer or Bartlett historically was before the other and could give insight.

Thanks for any help.

S

Bartlett should bloom first but not by much.

Stark Bothers also shows Bartlett blooming first

This information is not exactly what you asked about, but it might be helpful anyway. My Bartlett and Kieffer trees have distinctly different growth habits. My Bartletts form crotch angles in the 45 degree or greater range and their branches spread out to the sides. My Kieffers form 45 degree or sharper crotch angles and then the branches turn upwards to reach for the sky. The varieties look very different to me from a distance.

Be aware of "Improved Kieffer". I have read that these are a separate breed and drop time is earlier than the original Kieffer.

Be aware of "Improved Kieffer". I have read that these are a separate breed and drop time is earlier than the original Kieffer.
I have both but neither is old enough to produce fruit in a couple three years I will know if there is any difference

Last edited:
This information is not exactly what you asked about, but it might be helpful anyway. My Bartlett and Kieffer trees have distinctly different growth habits. My Bartletts form crotch angles in the 45 degree or greater range and their branches spread out to the sides. My Kieffers form 45 degree or sharper crotch angles and then the branches turn upwards to reach for the sky. The varieties look very different to me from a distance.
The one that is currently blooming the limbs grow straight to the sky. I trained the limbs 7’-8’ up. After that they just shoot straight.

The other one is closer to 45 degree.

I'm in zone 8A and I noticed the buds on my Kieffer just getting ready to bust. Would have thought the Kieffer would bloom earlier.