Bloom times - Dolgo and Whitney

CedarSwamp

5 year old buck +
We're nearing the end of our apple tree planting (been near the end for a long time and miraculously always find another place to plant trees!) and I want to go heavy on crab apples.

My question is does anyone have issues with the early bloom time of Dolgo crab apples or does the fact that it has a long bloom period mean it isn't quite as susceptible to frost killing the blooms? I'm in Zone 4 in NE Wisconsin.

Also, I can't find data on bloom time for Whitney crab apple. Anyone know?

Thanks! I planted two Dolgo today and three Liberty near a field edge and want to add some later blooming apples since those are both early. I will for sure add two Enterprise in 2018 and I'm thinking two Whitney and two Goldrush. Then maybe some other type of trees for the rest of the area which would be about 30 - 50 yards. The field is on the South side so full sun and it borders a creek. Good topsoil for the area. Apple trees grow there so want to go heavy on the apple trees. This is a great early season set-up, decent during the rut, and action dies down in the late season as Deer move to the cedar swamps and bed less in the marsh about midway through December.

I wish I could help CedarSwamp - but we'll have to wait for one of the experts to chime in.

One thing I certainly wish I had was a cedar swamp! The land I hunted as a kid was full of white cedars. I had no idea how good I had it. Great for tree stands, food for deer, etc. etc. I miss the smell of a cedar while sitting in a treestand.

-John

I have a few whitneys and Chestnuts planted from a couple years ago. No apples as of yet. As for the Dolgos I am planting 2 of them this year, and I am in 3b. I was told by Stu that the early bloom time wasnt anything to worry about, that he has had good luck with them himself. So I had to get a couple for myself.

I haven't found anything on Whitney's bloom time yet. Chestnut crab is one that many northern habitat guys recommend for fruit AND pollination. It's very cold-hardy. I know Sandbur and Stu have chestnut crabs in Minn. and they grow for them there. Another good crab for pollen is Hyslop. SLN catalog has it as very hardy at their nursery ( zone 3 ). We have some of both at camp. Hyslop puts on a dark red apple of about 1 1/2" dia. Hyslop blooms right in mid-season, according to Adams County Nursery's charts.

I would second chestnut crab. Centennial is also very good eating large crab. Good to zone 3 and from u on m breeding program.

I'd reconsider the Goldrush. It's zone 5, and even if it was 4 it would almost never ripen for you because of your shorter season.

I
I would second chestnut crab. Centennial is also very good eating large crab. Good to zone 3 and from u on m breeding program.

I'd reconsider the Goldrush. It's zone 5, and even if it was 4 it would almost never ripen for you because of your shorter season.
I was under the impression that I'd be fine with Goldrush with a B118 rootstock for Zone 4, but I see your point about ripening. I planted two Goldrush last year on B118. I'll make sure I do my homework on them for my area before planting anymore! Thanks for the heads up!

I'll add a couple chestnut crabs too! I had seen some info on them previously and was seriously considering them. You guys sold me on them!

Thank you all for the information and let me know if you have any more advice on any of the apple trees discussed in this thread! This will be one of our final apple tree orchards (unless we buy more land) so I want to do it well!

I have 5 goldrush coming in April. I am in 4b and figure the deer will still enjoy them mid winter when they finally drop.

If you have the location, plant a few crabs on a slight north slope. This has allowed me to have some apples on years when the south slope trees awoke earlier in the spring, bloomed earlier, and then froze.

Last year nearly all of my apple blossoms froze. Practically zero crop.
My whitney has not bloomed yet. I am happy with chestnut, dolgo, and firecracker is OK. Dolgo seedlings are also worthwhile as they have variety from bird crabs to deer crabs. These seedlings have varied drop times as well.

In the ground, but not producing are Trailman, Kindercrisp, violi's hanging crab,centennial, Wickson(had one apple), Kerr, Norland, Golden Hornet, B118's, some wild crabs and seedlings that Stu and I have collected, and some topworks of other crab apples such as the Nevis apple crosses.

Norland and Kinderkrisp border on apple size versus crab apple.

Golden Hornet has grown well on dolgo and has tried to bloom including the very first year I grafted it.. This year I might let it bear a few apples.

Sandbur have you had fruit on the firecracker yet ?

I have had fruit for two years and none (or one) last year. Kerr has lots of fruit spurs this year.

What do you guys and gals consider your best late season apple? I'm wondering if planting varieties that ripen earlier and have a long drop time is better than having a tree that has a late maturity. I'll plant both regardless, but may put a higher percent in those that ripen earlier and still has fruit dropping into winter.

Thanks again for all the advice!!!