Keep the fruit tree guys thinking ....

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
The first photo is a tree I cleft grafted a few years ago. The original tree was a Granny Smith that I hated. The tree I grafted to it .... well I forgot to label my graft and forgot. But I am proud of the growth and overall shape. It is hard to tell from the photo but it looks like one should look - I think - thoughts?

image.jpeg

I can't seem to enlarge the picture.

These next photos are of a Lodi on what was generally labeled as semi dwarf. I bought the trees years ago before I knew nothing. It is taller than I would expect from a semi. If you look at the photos tell me what two laterals you think Need eliminated. Again, I was not very good at training when I started. Not very good at staking a tree to keep it straight so it went too far to the right now going back to left. image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg

Third photo image.jpeg

Should be able to click on them and enlarge I will post full size images. image.jpeg

Lodi image.jpeg

Lodi 2 image.jpeg

Lodi 3 image.jpeg

The only thing that stands out to me on a negative side is that all your branches for each scaffold level pretty much originate from the same point on the trunk. Hard to judge distance in pictures but looks like your scaffold layers are a little on the close side to each other.

Turkey Creek, I agree with you. Because they are close I am thinking of eliminating one or two. How much distance do you all like to keep between scaffold layers on b-111 and 118?

I just looked up some old forum posts and see that 30 to 36 inches is ideal on 111 and 118. I can't find anything that says what the ideal vertical distance is within each scaffold tier. For example, you note the scaffolds on the tier above are on nearly the same horizontal plane. Perhaps that places too much stress on the tree at the point of contact or reduces air flow.

Einy meany miney moe. Take your pick. I have some that ate 6 and 10 inches apart and will slowly remove some over the years as they are producing fruit on them and yes it can limit sun and airflow. I worry more about the thinner higher laterals tha I have had breaking due to over cropping