japanese knotweed

back4me

Yearling... With promise
I purchased land this spring which is infested with japanese knotweed. I did spray before I planted buckwheat but I still have problem areas. Next month I want to plant winter rye. What is best way to go about planting the rye over the buckwheat and knotweed. Can I spray knotweed, till the knotweed with the bukwheat and then plant the rye. (in places the knotweed can be 7 feet tall) Please advise best way.

Penn State has been working on it for years. The best way they have found so far is to cut knotweed then spray.

Just wanted to add, the Penn State Study says to use glyphosate, I tried 40% gly mixed at 50/50 water/gly for a spot I have off my lawn and it laughed at it. It did turn the leaves a reddish brown but the same plants still kept going and grew to 8' tall that summer. I tried cutting it down late summer and then spraying the new growth but again to no avail. Our DEC recommends using a syringe to inject gly and I haven't tried that yet.

Sorry to hear this as I’m dealing with a patch of it as well. Toughest weed I’ve ever come across. I’ve been trying to eradicate it now for 4 years. Cut and spray works but it keeps coming back. It’s slowly been working for me as less is coming back each year.
I am not any help at the moment but I use something stronger than Gly but don’t know what it is as I’m not at the land currently. It was recommended by my county office.

I had it in a privacy planting between me and a neighbor. Cut it in the spring and sprayed it with50% gly. When it came back I cut it again and dug as much root up as possible. When it came up again I cut it and poured straight gly down the hollow stem.

kept doing that until it gave up.

that was a 10 X 20 patch. I can’t imagine air getting loose in a field.

Just wanted to follow up as I don’t think many saw my post in slice of heaven.

I tried a few different things to kill this stuff (including a strong mix of Gly) and kept researching studies from time to time hoping for a solution. I forget which study led me to it but Imazapyr was suggested so I bought some Polaris AC and waited until it was knee high this spring and had a few leaves to spray. I will have to do a follow up spray at some point, this patch is roughly 30’ X 40’ so I had a hard time spraying all of it but I’m pretty happy to get these results.

11B80AD5-D006-4CF1-8B61-8C9E8C9D4356.jpeg
BCC2BE63-7B28-4100-8AD5-565B350C0AC0.jpeg

Looks promising! I am still battling this weed also and use the Arsenal or Imazapyr on it.

It’s a multi year battle. Some spots took 1-2 years to go completely away while another is on year 4 now and seems like I’m barely winning the battle.