Its simply time to jump in

Shopping around for wire mesh, this is at Menards:

http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...-x-150-reinforcing-mesh/p-1479879-c-12502.htm

Is $107 a good price? Does this go on sale very often? There is a Menards about an hour away. It would be closer if I could get some of that at Rural King, Tractor Supply, or Lowes. A quick search on those sites didn't look promising. Another thought is to call a local concrete plant and see if they have it/could get it. Has anyone ever done that?

Thanks!
Trent

I've got tons of 5' welded wire cages if anyone is coming thru Vermont.

Now that I'm through Christmas, I need to seriously start accumulating planting supplies. Spring planting will sneak up on me if I let this slide.

Lets see, I need:
Wire mesh for cages
Weed mat of some kind
pea gravel
Window screen
Conduit stake

What am I forgetting? Haha!

Advil!!!

http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...-x-150-reinforcing-mesh/p-1479879-c-12502.htm

Is $107 a good price? Does this go on sale very often? There is a Menards about an hour away. It would be closer if I could get some of that at Rural King, Tractor Supply, or Lowes. A quick search on those sites didn't look promising. Another thought is to call a local concrete plant and see if they have it/could get it. Has anyone ever done that?

Thanks!
Trent
I called on 8'rebar for stakes and it was less than half what the box stores had it for. I did not ask about wire but I bet it is cheaper. Tell them you are a new contractor starting up.

Not much to add other than this...don't wait ;)

I was sitting in a stand the other day thinking "by the time my fruit trees really start producing max loads I'll be 60...if I'm even still around." Get 'em in the ground
I'm just catching up on this thread and am 60 now. still going to try and graft a few trees. I gave my uncle a chestnut crab for his 80th birthday and he picked lots of apples from it.

Thanks for the concern, but I expect planting day will be a breeze. I've got plenty of time to get everything together if I don't procrastinate! My plan is to put the material for each tree at the planting site before planting day. It will be me, dad, my 15 yr old son, my buddy, and his 14 yr old son. I only have 10 trees coming this year, we'll see how that goes. I already have 14 on hold for spring 2016, but I might up that if it all goes smooth.

I'm still thinking about the wire mesh cages. I'm thinking about 10 cages per 150-ft roll. Is that about right? That's 15' per cage, a diameter of 4'-9" or so. When I buy, I'll likely just go ahead and get 3 rolls, anticipating that I'll plant at least 30.

Any suggestions on material for a weed mat? I've seen Lumite is used by some here. Do I need to get something like that, or can I get by with something cheaper and local?

re: the cages, 10 cages per 150' roll worked great for me.

re: mat, Lumite works great. It's not cheap, you have to buy more than you'll need for the 10 trees you're planting now, and shipping isn't cheap. Nevertheless, it works great and your new tress are worth it!

Suggest getting the Lumite from www.bigrocktrees.com

- Lot2Learn

Last edited:
Home Depot was cheaper on the remesh. I got it for about $95 after tax, but that's with 10% veterans discount.

10 cages per roll worked good for me too.

I'm just catching up on this thread and am 60 now. still going to try and graft a few trees. I gave my uncle a chestnut crab for his 80th birthday and he picked lots of apples from it.

60? 60??? Dont I wish. Me and apple trees are not on speaking terms. ;)

60? 60??? Dont I wish. Me and apple trees are not on speaking terms. ;)
Tom-keep your chin up and shoot bucks while you are in your 90's-like my uncle did.

TMIL - You're correct on the amount of cages from a 150' roll of concrete mesh. 10. If you try to squeeze more from a roll, the cages are smaller and the deer will nip off the limbs that stick out or are too near the cage wall.

I've found that the best way to make planting day go smoothly is to have as much pre-fabbed as possible. Have the cages made and ready to set over your trees. ( I place the cages at each planting site before planting time ). Have grass / weeds sprayed and killed in advance. Cut lumite or landscape cloth to size in advance. Same with stakes, tree tags, and have lots of water on hand to settle trees once planted. When we plant at my camp, I try to have everything in the back of 2 pick-ups, and we just move from one hole to the other. Oh, yeah - if you can pre-dig the holes, that's a big time saver when trying to get a bunch of trees in. I also have a pile of compost in the back of one truck to add to the backfill and spread around the tree. With 4 people and all preps made, you can get a lot done in short order.

I don't use weed mat of any kind now. I don't believe they are necessary on decent soil, at least when planting trees on standard or large semi-dwarf rootstock. Spray the ground under the dripline with glyphosate a couple times a year for the first 5 years or so...then let 'em go. On lighter soil or soil prone to drought, then I'd use lumite or another high quality, UV resistant landscape cloth.
Same here, but we get a lot more rain then you guys in the mid west.

Thanks!
Trent

We buy it when it goes onsale at menards for $75/150' roll. if I recall in our area usually between now and like april it should go onsale a few times, atleast it does here in Wisconsin.
CameraZOOM-20140405114435698.jpg

Thanks CE. I'll try to remember to check in once in a while. If anyone sees this go on sale, let me know!!

Meanwhile, I'll check a couple concrete plants.

Thanks!
Trent

My trick on measuring cage material was to make a looped end on a string and cut it to length. When you roll out the mesh, hook the loop on one of the wire tails. It made doing them go really fast working alone.

I don't use weed mat of any kind now. I don't believe they are necessary on decent soil, at least when planting trees on standard or large semi-dwarf rootstock. Spray the ground under the dripline with glyphosate a couple times a year for the first 5 years or so...then let 'em go. On lighter soil or soil prone to drought, then I'd use lumite or another high quality, UV resistant landscape cloth.

Will gly hurt apple/pear trees at all? How much precaution does one need to take to ensure no damage to the trees?

Do you just spray very carefully and on a calm day? I'd hate to hurt the trees. But if I could save buying the lumite, I would.

I have not used any fabric in the last twenty years or so. I prefer the cedar chip mulch.
At a meeting on apple growing in the north country, the speaker felt wood chips worked fine if kept away from the trunk a bit-like with window screen.

Pocket gophers are the biggest irritation for me.

Yup...exactly. I try to do it late in the afternoon/evening. You can extend time between sprayings by sprinkling Preen (I just buy it at a big box store, I'm sure there's an ag equivalent that's cheaper) around the sprayed area.

Thanks! Good to know! One more question, do you still use pea gravel?