Iron Clay Peas

Did you plant at recommended rate on bag? Seems maybe a little light at 20lbs an acre.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I planted seven bags on five acres - so a little heavy - but I think would have been fine at recommended rate. The ebony pea is a small pea - a little bigger than a milo seed. The white milo and sunflowers are basically a non-component. The ebony pea smothered them so quickly they were of no account. 12 ft tall coffee bean is what ended up supporting most of the plants

Did you plant at recommended rate on bag? Seems maybe a little light at 20lbs an acre.

I planted seven bags on five acres - so a little heavy - but I think would have been fine at recommended rate. The ebony pea is a small pea - a little bigger than a milo seed. The white milo and sunflowers are basically a non-component. The ebony pea smothered them so quickly they were of no account. 12 ft tall coffee bean is what ended up supporting most of the plants
Thanks! Did you just leave it standing during hunting season? Seems like it would be hard to plant wheat or brassicas into that jungle in your picture lol!

Swapcat: how did you terminate that plot?

Thanks! Did you just leave it standing during hunting season? Seems like it would be hard to plant wheat or brassicas into that jungle in your picture lol!

I mowed some strips through it, ending at my box stand. The vegetation stayed green here in S Arkansas until the last week or so of October - a month past my neighbor’s commercial soybean harvest date. The deer had not touched the beans by then - but proceeded to eat every one of them by end of December. I left it alone until next spring. I had other plots of wheat and clover and did not need this ground to plant a green crop. No planting into this mess like you do soybeans at leaf drop.

I really, really want to like cow peas. I really do. I can understand why they might stand heavier browse pressure. It's the stem, I think. But, you really have no means of weed control. Advantage to soybeans. I've planted acres of cow peas in some areas where the deer didn't touch them. Other places, they got wiped out in a couple days after they were near maturity and discovered. I'm all soybeans now (as opposed to cow peas). But, then, I'm surrounded by a couple hundred acres of either corn or soybeans depending on the rotation. I try to plant on cycles different than what happens in the production world.
I with you Dan regarding the weed control. I would love to plant something more unique than soybeans as well, but for the price of seed and the ease of weed control they just hit a nice balance for me. It also helps that I have lots of them around me to take pressure off of my smaller plots as well as well as my lower deer density. I will say that I am probably in the VAST minority when I say I can grow 1/4 acre plots of ag beans without a fence and have the beans do well and produce fair amounts of grain for the fall. We all have our different limitations ....deer over browsing beans isn't one of them for me.

I've never planted a plot of just peas, I usually add them to my sorghum mix and the climb up the sorghum.

Lots of great feedback. I think I'm gonna steer clear of the tecomate because no tilling wheat is a big part of our year long strategy and doesn't seem conducive to that.

My thought is to try forage beans this year along with some lab lab and ICP and sorghum in sections to see how it does.