Iron Clay Peas

blmarlin

Yearling... With promise
Hello, new member here. We planted soybeans last summer in Western Kentucky. Had two big fields one about 5 acres and another 12 but between drought and deer density they didn't make it. Looking at doing ICP this year as they are more browse resistant. We also took 21 does off the property and one buck this year so hopefully that will help.

Wondering what y'all typically pay per lb for ICP?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

not sure on price, but if the deer wiped out your beans, they will wipe out the icp's as well, Tokk me three lessons, but I learned and invested in a ghallager style e fence to put up and protect the plants until they have a fighting chance. 21 doe gone might help, but do you really want to find out after all the hard work, and get stuck doing an emergency fall plot after wasting the cash on the ipc seed?

but figure about a dollar a lb in 50 lb bags.

Yeah good point. It was a bit of a combination of drought and deer density. Also it was our first year so our smaller plots weren't established. We now have 9 other half acre plots scattered through the property so hoping that will help. Our main goal is to provide protein for summer growth so trying to steer clear of fencing off if we can as it defeats the purpose a bit.

Thought is to see if changes we've made will make a difference this year. If not will may look at fencing or just doing clover, chicory and wheat from here out.

I've done a lot of beans, in some high density areas. I'd say it's more the drought that anything. I can't stay ahead of deer with 5 ac, but with more, usually can, except if there is a drought.

Trying some redeye cowpeas in a mix this summer, more for soil conditioning than anything. Price per # here is not great comapred to soy tho.

After reading this I Guess I should feel lucky at times.
When on rotation. I'm surrounded by 480A of beans.

Allows me to focus on cover and candy crops. With the added bonus of reducing some browse pressure. Winter opens a whole new can of worms tho.

Trying some redeye cowpeas in a mix this summer, more for soil conditioning than anything. Price per # here is not great comapred to soy tho.

After reading this I Guess I should feel lucky at times.
When on rotation. I'm surrounded by 480A of beans.

Allows me to focus on cover and candy crops. With the added bonus of reducing some browse pressure. Winter opens a whole new can of worms tho.

Me too, maybe more! But, deer love my secluded fields, so it doesn't help as much as it should.

Curious where you at in western ky? I’m there too and am doing beans for the first time this year.

Crittenden County

I’m a little East of you in muhlenberg

Hello, new member here. We planted soybeans last summer in Western Kentucky. Had two big fields one about 5 acres and another 12 but between drought and deer density they didn't make it. Looking at doing ICP this year as they are more browse resistant. We also took 21 does off the property and one buck this year so hopefully that will help.

So I would not look at ICP's. I would be investigating forage soybeans (if your not using them already), Lab-lab (I have read they handle browsing better) and either and annual or semi-annual red clover or alfalfa. OR looking into a fencing program similar to rotational grazing like they do for livestock.

Also do not underestimate the value of an exclusion cage or a couple! This will show you want the deer do to your planting and what mother nature would have otherwise provided. This would give you an idea of the impact the drought had on your plots and help guide your efforts.

Sometimes protecting your plants long enough for them to get big enough to handle browse pressure works. Tiny beans or peas get wiped out real easy if the deer find them too soon(one bite and plant is gone). When I have something the deer really go after I try to plant a lot more to keep up with browsing. Cover crops help a lot also. I search every year to find the best prices for whatever I'm planting---anything you can get through your local co-op should be your best bet.

So I would not look at ICP's. I would be investigating forage soybeans (if your not using them already), Lab-lab (I have read they handle browsing better) and either and annual or semi-annual red clover or alfalfa. OR looking into a fencing program similar to rotational grazing like they do for livestock.

Also do not underestimate the value of an exclusion cage or a couple! This will show you want the deer do to your planting and what mother nature would have otherwise provided. This would give you an idea of the impact the drought had on your plots and help guide your efforts.
Thanks for info! Curious why you wouldn't look at ICPs? Was reading Craig Harper's book that ICP handle browsing better than non forage soybeans?

I have had good luck with Tecomate Lablab plus where Eagle Seed forage beans were eaten to the ground. Grows up about twelve ft tall.

F4DC8571-3731-419F-901C-576CECE0BDAE.jpeg

Short of a fence, ICP, Lablab,soybeans, or anything gets hammered at my place. They do wait for the buckwheat to flower. Gonna wait later this year and plant into my standing clover to see if the cover helps. Also should have more natural stuff in June instead of April.

Thanks for info! Curious why you wouldn't look at ICPs? Was reading Craig Harper's book that ICP handle browsing better than non forage soybeans?

I'm just saying that if I'm looking for something to handle the browse pressure I might as well "go for it". I guess I was looking further up the "browse tolerance" scale so to speak....not that ICP are a "bad" option. I didn't mean it to sound that way. So if ICP handle browse pressure better than ag beans, but probably not as well as either lab-lab or forage beans.....why not just use forage beans so you can control weeds easier. Especially since your looking for summer forage and not grain production.

To be honest....if I was in your shoes. I'd do a little experiment...I'm trying several different seeds...ICP, Lab-lab, Eagle's, and what ever else I can find (hell, toss in ag beans just as a reference point). I'm gonna plant them in strips by variety and put up cages (and signs) in each of them. Then I'm going to monitor how they each handle the weather, the pressure, and which ones start to yellow and in what order (handy info to have if you plan on overseeding turnips and cereal grains for fall/winter food). You're going to buy multiple bags of seed to plant that much ground any way....why put all your eggs in one basket. Take a growing season and get some valuable information. If you do this....You find out what works best for YOU. Maybe only do the 5 acre plot or just the 12.....but I think the feedback will be of great value to you and be well worth the effort. My concern would be that if you tried just ICP's - you may find out that they didn't work as well as you wanted either....and then your back looking for the next option next year.

The lablab is not what makes the Tecomate Lablab plus take over like it does. The ebony pea or soybean is what grows like nothing I have ever seen. I had planted Eagle Seed forage beans in this same five acre plot earlier in the spring. Two weeks after They germinated, the ground was literally bare dirt without a single plant showing. I bought the lablab plus just to try something since I had five acres of dirt. Planted June 1st in a semi drought and this stuff grew 12 ft tall. Not really sure what the ebony soybean actually is - if you could buy it locally.

I can’t seem to find a reference to ebony peas anywhere else in cyberland. Has Tecomate renamed something more common?

Great suggestions guys! I like the idea of trying some different seed in section and see how it does. From what I can tell ICP isn't a whole lot cheaper to plant than soybeans so will give it a shot. Do y'all typically have to order your eagle seed online or can it be bought at local seed stores?

I have had good luck with Tecomate Lablab plus where Eagle Seed forage beans were eaten to the ground. Grows up about twelve ft tall.

View attachment 28319
Did you plant at recommended rate on bag? Seems maybe a little light at 20lbs an acre.

I really, really want to like cow peas. I really do. I can understand why they might stand heavier browse pressure. It's the stem, I think. But, you really have no means of weed control. Advantage to soybeans. I've planted acres of cow peas in some areas where the deer didn't touch them. Other places, they got wiped out in a couple days after they were near maturity and discovered. I'm all soybeans now (as opposed to cow peas). But, then, I'm surrounded by a couple hundred acres of either corn or soybeans depending on the rotation. I try to plant on cycles different than what happens in the production world.