Iowa 120 acres

The MDDI lurkers are everywhere and their numbers are growing. I just found out yesterday that our Millle Lacs chapter has 2 separate 'sub chapters' of 1100 acres give or take that take the coop concept to a whole new level. The larger group is looser than the 2 smaller sectors, and there are guys following MDDI from the new sub group I have never spoken to or heard of. But they know me. They know MDDI. The loose MDDI framework is a 'third party of repute' for change in their area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet farm and bucks Bwoods! I considered moving to Iowa a few years after college but the metro musky fishery kept me here...and family of course. Something about catching 50" fish in lakes 20 mintues from my house after a day at work was just too cool. Too bad the metro fish have wised up and become harder to catch now......just like MN deer.

Sweet farm and bucks Bwoods! I considered moving to Iowa a few years after college but the metro musky fishery kept me here...and family of course. Something about catching 50" fish in lakes 20 mintues from my house after a day at work was just too cool. Too bad the metro fish have wised up and become harder to catch now......just like MN deer.

You have a farm in Missouri correct? Maybe you could be part of road trip! Yes you are right the fishing and lots of friends and family keeps me here most of the year. Maybe when I retire I could split time between the two.

Few nonresident own land in iowa due to unfriendly licensing. $800 buck tag and every 4th year for bow

Few nonresident own land in iowa due to unfriendly licensing. $800 buck tag and every 4th year for bow

Actually I know quite a few NR that own land. The state of Iowa has a 25% NR land ownership overall. Obviously not all of those are hunters----many buy the land as investment. Quite a few celebrities own land in Iowa (country singers/pro baseball football players).

Several NR will buy in Iowa and then move to Iowa as a R. Example--Outdoor Channel guys such as Mark Drury/Lee and Tiffany Lakosky. Bill Winke/Lindseys

Licenses are high priced yes....$500 in most cases. Tags are more difficult for bow, shotgun and muzzy are every year or every other year.

Ironically I have never had one real estate call from a NR in 15 years. I also do not know of a NR that owns land in my county in MN---except for lakeshore and/or a kid that inherited the farm..... I wonder why?:rolleyes:

^ To develop a Five minute video of similar habitats and showing the differences in the deer populations on these properties. Serve to ask the question: "WHY". Post on You Tube. Open some eyes within different organizations. That is the idea I was trying to exploit. Keep pointing folks to the video.....if it could compelling.
I like the idea of the video and comparing the sandbox to bwoods Iowa farm. Bwoods- do you have DNR data on what dpsm the area ismanaged for? do you have data o n deer seen during the recent firearm hunt?

Show some pictures of habitat,some aerial comparisons with exact data for specific location blocked out. Season structure if you wish, facts on how many deer each area is managed for, and lastly name the states. Two crews could work on it and they do not necessarily need to visit the other location.

Actually I know quite a few NR that own land. The state of Iowa has a 25% NR land ownership overall. Obviously not all of those are hunters----many buy the land as investment. Quite a few celebrities own land in Iowa (country singers/pro baseball football players).

Several NR will buy in Iowa and then move to Iowa as a R. Example--Outdoor Channel guys such as Mark Drury/Lee and Tiffany Lakosky. Bill Winke/Lindseys

Licenses are high priced yes....$500 in most cases. Tags are more difficult for bow, shotgun and muzzy are every year or every other year.

Is that because of demand for bow licenses is so high? I suppose out of state hunters want first crack at deer. Do owners have in preference in buying any type licenses?

You have a farm in Missouri correct? Maybe you could be part of road trip! Yes you are right the fishing and lots of friends and family keeps me here most of the year. Maybe when I retire I could split time between the two.

Yes, I have a farm and I'd be up for the farm tour road trip.

Is that because of demand for bow licenses is so high? I suppose out of state hunters want first crack at deer. Do owners have in preference in buying any type licenses?

Demand for bow is much higher yes. Right now, Landowners do not have any preference for buck tags, but they do for doe.

That being said, I've watched the market in Iowa real close since 1999. I know that it is possible---certainly not a sure thing---but possible NR tags could increase or NR landowner tags will be available. The revenue the IA DNR can generate from this would be millions. If that is the case, land prices will jump by $500/$1000 an acre within months (just an opinion) but I think it will happen eventually.

I like the idea of the video and comparing the sandbox to bwoods Iowa farm. Bwoods- do you have DNR data on what dpsm the area ismanaged for? do you have data o n deer seen during the recent firearm hunt?

Show some pictures of habitat,some aerial comparisons with exact data for specific location blocked out. Season structure if you wish, facts on how many deer each area is managed for, and lastly name the states. Two crews could work on it and they do not necessarily need to visit the other location.

I'm up for anything that will help MN change for the better.

QUOTE="MoBuckChaser, post: 39749, member: 26"]Why would that be?[/QUOTE]
Because demand for quality deer farms would most likely increase. Im not so sure this will happen though, the IBA Iowa bowhunter association lobbies rather hard against NR landowner tags

Why would that be?

Why would price jump??

Huge demand as there would be no wait for tags if you were a landowner!

Because demand for quality deer farms would most likely increase. Im not so sure this will happen though, the IBA Iowa bowhunter association lobbies rather hard against NR landowner tags

Highly unlikely that either would ever happen in my opinion. But we can all guess.[/QUOTE]

I'm speculating of course. However (2) things that help. DNR supports the additional revenue. 1 of 4 farms owned by NR and they want tags.

IBA is tough group though!!

[/QUOTE]
, the IBA Iowa bowhunter association lobbies rather hard against NR landowner tags[/QUOTE]

Do they lobby with money or what is their power?

, the IBA Iowa bowhunter association lobbies rather hard against NR landowner tags[/QUOTE]

Do they lobby with money or what is their power?[/QUOTE]

Money and they have a lobbyist

, the IBA Iowa bowhunter association lobbies rather hard against NR landowner tags

Do they lobby with money or what is their power?[/QUOTE]

Money and they have a lobbyist[/QUOTE]

Can you send me some contact information? Political doors need to be opened for change.

Can you send me some contact information? Political doors need to be opened for change.[/QUOTE]

Ok I'll get you a contact ##

Give me til tomorrow

Can you send me some contact information? Political doors need to be opened for change.[/QUOTE]
What is your proposed change? Cheaper more accessible licenses for nr?
No offense man but there are few nr bow hunters. I think it's like 5000 statewide. Getting a buck tag every other year isn't real appealing

One small disadvantage in Iowa is the bucks tend to have broken up racks especially after the rut. Some fighting going on!

Buck I shot-14.jpg