Iowa 120 acres

bwoods11

5 year old buck +
Here is sample of my 120 acre farm in Iowa ---A.. Aerial B--Harvest pics this year + a few trail cam pics

In 2014 on my farm we had harvest of 165/151/broken up 136--5/6 year old deer
Neighboring farm (bucks jumped fence and were shot on neighbors) 190 (6 year old deer) and 138

With trail cam pics I am guessing/estimating I still have 10-14 bucks on my farm, and about 30 does/fawns.

Carry over to next year should still be good, although we shot more bucks than I prefer.Iowa 117.png

picturesBrian Buck-2014.jpg IA--9.jpg

9 pointer shot by neighbor friend

Last edited:
Pretty sweet bwoods! Owning an island of timber in that sea of ag has to be one of the better spots in your section.

Iowa big boy 14.jpg Shot on neighbors by a kid in high schoolBroken up 9-IA.jpg My buck

160-165165 Iowa.jpg

Sorry guys not the best at pictures....but here are a few still aliveBig 8-IA.jpg

anotherIA 10.jpg

Funky rackIowa buck-Crazy.jpg

A few turkeys too.....I think there is 40 turkeys in this photoTurkeys Iowa.jpg

Good for you, Kirt. You have 40-45 deer left on your 120 acre farm. The amount of deer and nice bucks is stunning to me.

I have very similar amounts of cover on my 170 acres in Minnesota and have never had over 15 deer on it, and that was in the years when our DNR said I had too many deer. I would estimate I now have 3-4 fawns and hopefully one doe left on the 170 acres. Perhaps a buck at times wonders through.

Pretty sweet bwoods! Owning an island of timber in that sea of ag has to be one of the better spots in your section.

Really helps, I do lose a few to the neighbors, but I guess that is the case on most 120 ac farms. They really file into this area in the late season

Good for you, Kirt. You have 40-45 deer left on your 120 acre farm. The amount of deer and nice bucks is stunning to me.

I have very similar amounts of cover on my 170 acres in Minnesota and have never had over 15 deer on it, and that was in the years when our DNR said I had too many deer. I would estimate I now have 3-4 fawns and hopefully one doe left on the 170 acres. Perhaps a buck at times wonders through.

I know it is hard to understand the difference. Most hunters do not believe you can have that many bucks or even deer on one farm. I can assure you that some of my friends in the area--- have similar if not even better numbers. I have a good friend that has 840 acres in which half is timber and half tillable and he typically sees 10-25 bucks per sit.

Last edited:
I should've bought land in Iowa

Sorry that cracked me up...Signing off (depressed hunter in MN) Yes I know the frustration. I can bet Wisconsin is better than my farms in the Gopher State

I know it is hard to understand the difference. Most hunters do not believe you can have that many bucks or even deer on one farm. I can assure you that some of my friends in the area--- have similar if not even better numbers. I have a good friend that has 840 acres in which half is timber and half tillable and he typically sees 10-25 bucks per sit.
How can farmers tolerate that many deer in Iowa and farmers in Mn. complain about 1/3 of that many? Is the difference that we have more stored feed by our Mn. dairies or are there no stored feeds in that area?

How can farmers tolerate that many deer in Iowa and farmers in Mn. complain about 1/3 of that many? Is the difference that we have more stored feed by our Mn. dairies or are there no stored feeds in that area?

I think they are just used to it. Deer do cut into yields in that area. It depends on the field. There is a bunch of flat bottom ground east of me that routinely produces 200 bushel corn.

My tucked away fields get hammered pretty good in Iowa, but overall average was still over 160 bushel corn.

We have nothing to complain about in MN in my opinion--outside of some pockets of high numbers!

Nearly all of the deer complaints from my clients are for the deer being in feed that is stored for the winter and nearly all of the complaints are in Lottery areas, not where I live.
This is stored cattle feed and not grain that is stored for sale.
Sorry to steal your thread, Kirt.
Great deer!

Nearly all of the deer complaints from my clients are for the deer being in feed that is stored for the winter
Great deer!

My forester reports the same. Winter is the depredation issue in MN. Iowa did a study that reported .1% corn depredation by deer.

Nice deer!

But you got some ugly A$$ hunting partners :)

Nice deer!

But you got some ugly A$$ hunting partners :)

Yeah they are ugly!! LOL