Interesting discussion with Don Higgins on the Land Podcast

He's not the only guy in the world that would pass up a 200" buck.
Baker, what happened to that monster a yr or 2 ago, was it squiggly jr? He a goner? I know you always say how deer can vanish in your fenced property and that it's anything but a slam dunk. I do think that's a noteworthy point for those saying it's gotta be easy. Plus the added element they can apparently jump out and be gone.

Don's human like the rest of us. If I recorded myself talk and then listened to it I guarantee there would be a list of things I didn't like about what or how something was said.

I roll my eyes hard at times while listening to Don but for guys who want to manipulate their habitat and shoot big bucks in the midwest, I'm not sure who does it any better?

Don's human like the rest of us. If I recorded myself talk and then listened to it I guarantee there would be a list of things I didn't like about what or how something was said.

I roll my eyes hard at times while listening to Don but for guys who want to manipulate their habitat and shoot big bucks in the midwest, I'm not sure who does it any better?
That’s very kind of you to say. What about the next time, though? Or the 500th time. Higgins rubbed me the wrong way the first article I read of his in American Whitetail when he stated that “ANY” whitetail hunter above some certain age should be “ashamed” to kill a young buck — probably 18-20 years ago. As ridiculous as this sounds, I actually tossed a years-long collection of the magazine, cancelled the subscription, and permanently changed my view of the sport as a result. I was forevermore “calibrated.”

He was openly arrogant before I even knew that attitude existed among deer hunters. It’s so obvious I sometimes wonder if it’s an act.

That’s very kind of you to say. What about the next time, though? Or the 500th time. Higgins rubbed me the wrong way the first article I read of his in American Whitetail when he stated that “ANY” whitetail hunter above some certain age should be “ashamed” to kill a young buck — probably 18-20 years ago. As ridiculous as this sounds, I actually tossed a years-long collection of the magazine, cancelled the subscription, and permanently changed my view of the sport as a result. I was forevermore “calibrated.”

He was openly arrogant before I even knew that attitude existed among deer hunters. It’s so obvious I sometimes wonder if it’s an act.

I don’t get the arrogance vibe from him at all, but maybe he has mellowed over the years. Or maybe I don’t see it because I like him as a person and respect his non-PC opinions. But I also like Trump, so I must have some wires crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t get the arrogance vibe from him at all, but maybe he has mellowed over the years. Or maybe I don’t see it because I like him as a person and respect his non-PC opinions. But I also like Trump, so I must have some wires crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can definitely understand why you’d say that. I’ll freely admit that he lays on the awe-shucks vibe heavy enough to conceal his previously well established attitude from the newcomers. That’s the only way I can listen to him now.

I’m interested at times in what he has to say because he does have a finger on the pulse of the whitetail world. Personally, he’s done NOTHING that should impress any of the fine folks on this board. And I mean that with the utmost sincerity.

Well, I sent Don a question on his take - if he'd give up trail cams if crossbows were not allowed during regular archery season unless you're a sr or have a dr certified physical disability. I could see him wanting to talk on that one.

I did hear what seemed to be a question from @BenAllgood read on the podcast once.

One thing I have to give Don Higgins credit for is that he does actually respond to emails, or at least he did 2 years or so ago.

Anyone on social media ever accuse him of accidentally spilling any of his industry best mineral while loading it up for out of state sales? I don't think he would do that, but you gotta admit that bragging about developing the best mineral that deer farmers use and then bagging the 2nd biggest typical bowkill in IL history is a coincidence. Two, nearly three, 200 inchers in 3 years.

Anyone on social media ever accuse him of accidentally spilling any of his industry best mineral while loading it up for out of state sales? I don't think he would do that, but you gotta admit that bragging about developing the best mineral that deer farmers use and then bagging the 2nd biggest typical bowkill in IL history is a coincidence. Two, nearly three, 200 inchers in 3 years.
I was very confused when you mentioned he made minerals…and lived and hunted in Illinois. Those two things don’t jive in my mind, hence the D’aquisto vibe I’m feeling.

As the old saw goes....."it don't matter what you say about someone.....as long as you spell the name right". Some of these guys rely on that. Have not read much about him over the past few years.....some of his attitude rubbed me wrong in the past.....and I decided (right or wrong) that I simply don't need his teachings. Kinda like Tony LaPratt.....take him or leave 'em. I left him too. I must be doomed. Grin.

I can dig for the podcast if anybody is interested, But I listened to a MSU Deerlab podcast where they were discussing the effects of antler point restrictions on age structure of deer. They were mentioning that with antler restrictions, folks end up harvesting the best 2.5 year olds and leaving the rest. What ends up happening is that the stud young bucks end up getting harvested and the bucks with poor genetics make it to maturity. I can't remember if this was based on data that they had seen or just logic. But they're overall point was that it was better to harvest bucks based on their age to ensure they've expressed their genetic potential and not on the size of their rack.

You brought up a very interesting point though. Hunters seeing the positive effects of not pulling the trigger is beneficial regardless. I have spoken with some folks from Pennsylvania and they had a very similar observation when they introduced the antler point restriction.
I completely agree that the bucks get high graded with point restrictions but in some cases it's necessary. I grew up in the don't shoot doe, shoot the first buck you see no matter what, days in PA. Back then a 100 inch deer was a monster that got pictures in the local paper. Then love him or hate him Gary Alt came along and tried to change that mentality. He received death threats for it, but it worked. I think it's inarguable that there are way bigger buck in PA now. People are finally seeing the potential for big deer. Now that's led to other problems, like less access to private property, but that's for another thread.

Now I'm probably passing a 100 inch deer because I know there are bigger around. But I also still have to talk my dad out of shooting the first scrub 6 point that he sees. Don't get me wrong, I think you should shoot whatever makes you happy but he's retired, has all the time in the world to hunt. Doesn't eat the meat, and gives the deer away. I tell him every year. If you want to shoot one and give it to that family then shoot a doe. I'll gut it and deliver it to them. Won't do it. Buys a doe tag every year and never uses it, because it keeps someone else from shooting one.

I grew up in the don't shoot doe, shoot the first buck you see no matter what, days in PA.

I think that is still the norm for a large percentage of hunters. My dad is the same way and I know my neighbors are that way too. There isn't anything wrong with it other than I'd like to understand the mentality of why a 1.5 YO buck is so superior to any doe in areas with sufficient deer populations. I get it where the deer population is hurting and you don't want to hurt the breeding does.

I think that is still the norm for a large percentage of hunters. My dad is the same way and I know my neighbors are that way too. There isn't anything wrong with it other than I'd like to understand the mentality of why a 1.5 YO buck is so superior to any doe in areas with sufficient deer populations. I get it where the deer population is hurting and you don't want to hurt the breeding does.
It was fairly common to see No Doe Hunting signs instead of posted signs back then. My best day of hunting for a long time was when I was 17 I saw 42 deer on public ground on the first day of buck season. Every single one was a doe. My dad's last two buck have been his two biggest ever too, yet I tell him about the little 6 point and he says well he better not stand in front of me for too long. I have some old doe on my property that I'd like to take out. They are far too smart to be around.

I completely agree that the bucks get high graded with point restrictions but in some cases it's necessary. I grew up in the don't shoot doe, shoot the first buck you see no matter what, days in PA. Back then a 100 inch deer was a monster that got pictures in the local paper. Then love him or hate him Gary Alt came along and tried to change that mentality. He received death threats for it, but it worked. I think it's inarguable that there are way bigger buck in PA now. People are finally seeing the potential for big deer. Now that's led to other problems, like less access to private property, but that's for another thread.

Now I'm probably passing a 100 inch deer because I know there are bigger around. But I also still have to talk my dad out of shooting the first scrub 6 point that he sees. Don't get me wrong, I think you should shoot whatever makes you happy but he's retired, has all the time in the world to hunt. Doesn't eat the meat, and gives the deer away. I tell him every year. If you want to shoot one and give it to that family then shoot a doe. I'll gut it and deliver it to them. Won't do it. Buys a doe tag every year and never uses it, because it keeps someone else from shooting one.
Are you hunting with my dad? Do I have a brother I don't know about?

Are you hunting with my dad? Do I have a brother I don't know about?
Haha possibly. It's still a pretty common mentality around here.

I was very confused when you mentioned he made minerals…and lived and hunted in Illinois. Those two things don’t jive in my mind, hence the D’aquisto vibe I’m feeling.
Yeah he's obviously very in favor of mineral supplements for deer. And if I'm not mistaken he was a deer farmer once upon a time.

Screenshot_20221002-192906_Samsung Internet.jpg

He's not the only guy in the world that would pass up a 200" buck.

I like how Baker didn't feel the need to point out who those other guys are.

Yeah he's obviously very in favor of mineral supplements for deer. And if I'm not mistaken he was a deer farmer once upon a time.

View attachment 46473

Similar to the claim "only guy who would pass up a 200" buck", how would Don know what minerals all of the captive deer farmers use? That said, Don hunts in a number of different states and Real World has customers across the country so I don't see any reason to question them selling minerals just because he's based in IL.

On a side note, all this talk made me google fu Don's property. Looks to be about 33 acres of timber plus some switchgrass for cover and other than that it's ag and food plots. Pretty remarkable he's been able to make the property as good as it is. It is very obvious from the aerial which neighbor he wanted to fence out.