Ideas for spring planted plots

On that sand, I doubt it would amount to anything. We tried it about a half dozen times on our old place, every time an epic fail. Never got over 4 feet tall and never made an ear. That sand starts to get REALLY dry just about the time that corn needs to have good moisture to take off and prepare to set ears. It would never die completely, but it never got near full height. Lack of water stunted it every year. That was how our attempts at corn went on the sandbox.

Or soybeans didn't mind the sand at all. A few times, we even had them get to about 10" tall before the deer hoovered them to nothing but 2" leafless stubble. :mad:

Thanks whip, I figured as much. But it's nice to dream once in a while ;). Especially when I haven't stepped foot on my place for a month and it could be another month before I do. I hate this time of year :mad:.

I've tried every deer food I could think of and on my land soybeans are the best. I've had good luck recently planting oats in early spring, then spraying and following up with beans in late June. I'm trying to build up the soil a bit with the oats and maybe reducing disease that could come from continuous beans. I'll still plant a random spot or two with other stuff just for fun, but nothing seems to improve hunting like a couple acres of standing beans.

Buckwheat goes well with IC Cowpeas

Thanks for all the input and discussion guys. Keep it coming, not just for my benefit - but everyone's.

Just for accuracy, our biggest unbroken field is about 3 acres. ( Full sun ). All the other plots are broken up spaces and many have perennial crops planted in them. We have and will plant corn going forward. It grows well for us and makes good ears. We let that stand - food and cover. We've planted soybeans in the past, about a 1 acre field worth, and it got destroyed - as I mentioned a few posts back. I don't know if even the 3 acre field would survive if planted to all beans. We don't have a problem drawing deer to our property. The problem(?) is providing more variety in a plot(s) that will withstand feeding pressure. I agree totally that beans will be a big draw. I just don't know if that small of an acreage ( 3 acres ) will survive without having to go back and re-plant something after the carnage.

I should also add that some of those plots aren't in full sun. They get some shade during parts of the day. We aren't nearly as wide open as you mid-westers. Mature trees ( 60 to 90 ft. tall ) put shade on parts of those plots at given sun angles and times of day. None are totally shaded, but the south side of some plots get a fair amount of shade / dappled sunlight.

We have plenty of clover scattered in plots all around the tillable acreage, some in mixes with other plants ( alfalfa, chicory ), and some in clover-only ( Kopu II, Alice, Ladino ), and ( Crimson, Persist red clovers ). Neighboring camps have clover, as does some of the gas pipeline seeding. What we need is something different that will provide variety for deer to choose during spring/summer before corn and fall brassicas come into use later. Something to feed lactating does and grow the bodies / racks during the summer.

Do you think 3 acres of beans will be enough, given 1 acre got cleaned to the dirt ?? Oats mixed with some other things ?? I don't know what other things - I know clover works well with oats, but what other things would work. Oats-clover - ?? - ??

I appreciate all the input, trust me. None of us camp members are full-time farmers & pros ..... though some like to think they are !! If you could only hear some of the conversations ........... That's why I come on here to ask you guys that KNOW. Thank-you for all your ideas.

If you're looking for variety and the ability to withstand pressure, how about going with the full-blown LC Mix? It seems like that would solve most of your problems.

For what it is worth, I'm not sure there is much value in variety for varieties sake. Heresy I know. I'm not saying that you don't need variety, but you need variety for a purpose. For example, variety can be good in a food plot mix from a sustainability perspective. You don't often find monocultures in nature. If you select plants that are compatible in a mix, those plants can support each other, improve soils, rather than deplete them of specific nutrients, reduce input costs, and so on.

On the other hand, planting lots of different crops in lost of different food plots just for the sake of variety is more work, costs more because you are buying a little of each seed, and is more work to maintain when you are an hour or more from camp. (Spent some early years hunting in Potter Co.). If your objective is to grow deer, keep this in mind. Most of their diet will NOT be your food plots but native plants. Your variety should be targeted. Ask yourself questions like: When are the deer under stress? Are there high quality native foods available at that time? What plants can I put in food plots that will be available during the period when quality native foods are at a minimum.

There is no magic bullet. It is trying to balance what deer need and when with your resources.

Best of luck,

Jack

I use the LC rotation on most of my plots but I'm always trying other things so a couple years ago I took most of the seed I had left and mixed it together for like a succotash mix. The mix was sorghum, milo, rye, oats, radishes, hairy vetch, soys, peas, sunflowers, crimson clover then when I planted my brassicas I threw a couple pounds in there. This plot has fed them from June and is still feeding them. The soys and sunflowers never really get very big because they are hit hard from germination. The peas and hairy vetch climbs up the sorghum. I planted this on the outside of the LC mix so this mix also acts as a screen. Just a thought.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'd definitely try 3 acres of beans. That's the only way to know for sure and worse case you could go back and replant or overseed brassicas in July. Plant them a little heavy too if browsing is a concern.

I asked a question earlier that I guess nobody noticed. What is the difference between a " forage " soybean and a regular soybean ?? Not opposed to soybeans at all - just wondered if 3 acres will be enough. They'll definitely suck the deer in.

What would a " heavier " seed rate for soybeans be for an acre ??

As Whip pointed out earlier, we could have broadcast rye and red clover into the brassicas this fall and been set for spring. Having NOT done that, would it be OK to disc the brassica plot in spring, plant oats and red clover, then in late July / early August, ( or later - per advice ) broadcast WR, WW, and some AWP or radishes ?? I know oats will head out and then die first frost.

Just thought of something else: can you gents post a list of what plants grow well together and not overwhelm each other ?? I see posts of sorghum, peas, beans, clover, mixes etc. and wonder what combinations make sense and which ones are doomed to fail. Experiments cost time and money. We have a great budget due to timber sales and gas pipelines, but wasted time when trying to feed deer and prepare for a hunting season is not good.

Just looking for known combinations that have been tried and worked. Not all possibilities under the sun. Maybe a food plot sticky ??

If there's no AG around to share the burden and you have a moderate to high deer herd, 3 acres is a waste of time. I had to get to 5+

Here you go BB! This is some of what we sell together or you can add or take out what you like/dont like! Check out the soil first catolog. Lots of great info on mixes, rates, etc...
http://www.soil1st.com/2016-soil-first-catalog/

Field Mix
  • 20% Alsike Clover
  • 20% Ladino Clover
  • 15% Rape Seed
  • 20% Medium Red Clover
  • 10% White Dutch Clover
  • 15% Boost Perennial Ryegrass
Trail Mix

• 30% White Dutch Clover
  • 30%Boost Perennial Ryegrass
  • 15% Birdsfoot Trefoil
  • 05% Alsike Clover
  • 20% Creeping Red Fescue
Plot Mix

• 20% Bulls-Eye Hybrid Turnips
  • 20% Pinnacle Ladino Clover
  • 15% Bridger Rape Seed
  • 10% Sterling Rape Seed
  • 20% Boost Perennial Ryegrass
  • 10% Puna Chicory
  • 05% Resolute Clover
Plot Mix
  • 33% AberDart HSG Perennial Ryegrass*
  • 33% AberAvon HSG Perennial Ryegrass*
  • 11% Winter White Clover
  • 11% Dynamite Medium Red Clover
  • 06% Purple Top Turnips
  • 06% Six Point Chicory

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mo !! I didn't know you handled seed. I thought you were just into land & such .... and farming / supplies. If you talked about seed business on here - I must have missed it. I'll check out the soil catalog.

Thanks Mo !! I didn't know you handled seed. I thought you were just into land & such .... and farming / supplies. If you talked about seed business on here - I must have missed it. I'll check out the soil catalog.

I don't talk about it much, don't want anymore out of my state customers.

If you are talking about a spring planting with a later planted crop anyway, then why do you care of the soybeans get destroyed? Let the lactating does and newborn fawns eat an easily digestible, high protein, candy forage and just plant what you want later. Use a conventional forage soybean like Tyrone, then you can kill it, along with all the other weeds, with gly before your summer plot goes in.

Good point. ^^^ I have to sell this to the rest of the membership of our camp. If they vote " go ", we'll give the beans a shot.
I was thinking about letting the beans stand for winter chow ( if they survived ) but that probably will never happen. Might as well plan on a follow-up crop.

Good point. ^^^ I have to sell this to the rest of the membership of our camp. If they vote " go ", we'll give the beans a shot.
I was thinking about letting the beans stand for winter chow ( if they survived ) but that probably will never happen. Might as well plan on a follow-up crop.

I have very high DPSM. I plant a later maturity soybean, mixed with a earlier maturity soybean at around 250,000 seeds per acre. Normal seeding would be around 150,000 seeds per acre. We sacrifice 100,000 plants to the deer all summer, just so we can end up at normal final population. The later maturity soybeans is what is in unreal world beans at $70 or more a bag. You can buy late maturity Glyphosate tolerant Ag Soybeans for about $40/bag. They get tall and branch out very well, just like the BOB beans for $70-90.

Here is a small plot that was still going strong after season.

north bean plot.PNG

Same plot as in the picture above. This video was taken the middle of oct. You can still see some of the plants holding their leaves on the late maturity soybeans. And the bucks are really chowing down!