I need an opinion on a screen

omicron1792

5 year old buck +
I have about a 50 yard section of my land that abuts a busy road. I have planted about a 15 yard wide strip of switchgrass and three rows of Giant miscanthus. These are in their first year in obviously not providing much screen.

I was thinking of planting green covers view blocker in a portion of this area to provide some screening for this fall and winter. The switch grass is growing and germinated, but it is small. Would planting this view blocker kill the young switchgrass?

Probably wouldn’t do the switch any favors. I’d leave it as is and wait it out.

Is there space on either side of the screen? Do you have access to a drill?

I have become a fan of drilling in sorghum sudangrass for an annual screen. One drills width is typically enough to fully screen in whatever you need.

I would not give the switch any unnecessary competition. The risk isn't worth the reward.

There is not space on either side. I do have a drill.

All of the products listed in the green cover screen are fine as long as they are green as I have used them. Once the die back and dry out they will get knocked down by the first heavy rain with high winds or snow.

All of the products listed in the green cover screen are fine as long as they are green as I have used them. Once the die back and dry out they will get knocked down by the first heavy rain with high winds or snow.

That’s the thing right there. I see they add short stout sorghum to help hold up the tall sorghum. (That means they know the tall stuff breaks in half). It may work to some degree. But it will fall with the first ice storm. And it may even fall during the first 60 mph wind gust in November. You’ve already planted the best and fastest screening available. Just wait it out and don’t do anything that may hurt what you’ve done right.

That’s the thing right there. I see they add short stout sorghum to help hold up the tall sorghum. (That means they know the tall stuff breaks in half). It may work to some degree. But it will fall with the first ice storm. And it may even fall during the first 60 mph wind gust in November. You’ve already planted the best and fastest screening available. Just wait it out and don’t do anything that may hurt what you’ve done right.
Exactly what I wanted to hear. I burned with Gly In the fall, and used an atrazine/simazine mix this spring when planting switch. There are no weeds or grass in the plot besides the MG and switch.

Thanks for keeping me on course.